***November Sparklers 2012***(101)babies(14)angels**33 babies here

:happydance: The midwife finally called me just before 5pm today. I couldn't believe how long I'd had to wait. I was kacking myself all day. I could tell almost immediately the news was good - she was all happy-smiley on the phone, even as she was checking she was talking to the right person. "It's good news, C**" she said, "Everything was absolutely fine." I started crying right there. They still have the extended chromosomal cultures to do, which could take anything up to two weeks, but that tends to show up problems pretty rarely.

I can't express my relief enough. This has, quite honestly, been the hardest thing I've ever been through. It seems amazing to think it all started on Monday and now on Friday it's done. It just seems like it's been happening forever.

Thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts and wishes. It has meant a lot.

Fish&Chips - yes, we bd'd starting 5 days before O, all the way through and including the day after. Just wanted to get pregnant :haha: .... but definitely wanted a girl too. :winkwink: We'll be thrilled with a boy, of course, but it will make me forever sad to never have a girl.

Colsy - great news!! :dance: I'm so glad that your worry is over!

I think I'm more offended by the title of the magazine - "Are you mom enough?". I don't think you're proving that you're a better mom, or "more" of a mom if you EBF. I don't really care what people do on their own, but I really don't want to see an older child being breastfed in public. I think it is inappropriate. And I do worry about this boy being made fun of by his schoolmates.

Someone asked (sorry).... my official gender scan is in 2 weeks from today - the 25th. :thumbup:

Cridge- what do you consider an "older child" and what is it that would bother you to see them Breastfeeding?

I would also love a baby girl. I grew up with my dad and 3 brothers and have always been surrounded by males so some girliness would be nice but we will most likely have a third so there is always next time.

Awwww I'm so pleased for you Colsy!!! :D I can't imagine what you have been going through. Hope you find a way to treat yourself after all of this heartache and worry :)

Cridge- what do you consider an "older child" and what is it that would bother you to see them Breastfeeding?

I can't put an age on it exactly - but definitely the almost 4 year old in the picture is too old for my taste. I think a lot of it, sadly, is social influence. It's definitely not the norm to see a kid run around playing with his friends then run up to mom and breastfeed. I think this calls attention to the mom and child, and I think breastfeeding is a personal way to bond and nurture your child, and should be done in a personal and private way. I don't have a problem with babies being fed in public if the mom's boob isn't hanging out. I just think showing off your breasts in any form is inappropriate - I feel it should be private and not call attention to what you're doing (under a blanket is fine or even making sure your breast is covered by your shirt).

I'm so happy for you Colsy!! :happydance: That's amazing news :hugs:

Couldn't have put it better myself Cridge :thumbup: I loved EBF, but to me it's a personal thing. None my breastfeeding pictures will be getting printed :haha: xx

Good to hear your good news Colsy, have a lovely weekend now :)

Colsey - I'm so glad it was good news today!!! :wohoo: :happydance:

EBF - my mom was for various reasons unable to BF my sister and I, so when it came to BFing my brother, she made the most of it! Landed up BFing him for 2,5 years! I think I would like to BF as long as poss.
A lady I know was BFing her daughter for almost 3 years when her daughter eventually refused any more. She found out a few days later that she was pregnant. She is sure its because her DD could taste the new hormones in the milk. Is that possible?

Colsy that's amazing news! I'm so happy for you!

Skweek yep your milk tastes different as soon as you fall pregnant and then in the 2nd trimester your supply dwindles. I'm hoping my son goes off it tbh. I would like a break before the new baby.

I'm still yet to have my dating scan which will be at 13 weeks more or less on Wednesday afternoon. Xx

Yeah Skweek, that's why my son stopped nursing. :)

Have a lovely weekend ladies :flower: xx

I was nursing DD, but my milk dried up about 1 week ago... Was only nursing her in the AM for the last 6 weeks, so it was bound to dry up especially being pregnant. I am glad for the break before the next one!
And as much as I think BFing is a beautiful thing...I don't think an adult wants that memory of their mother, so I'd definitely want to wean before 3 years old or so! I just hear these stories of 7-10 year olds still BFing.... And it makes me wonder if it will affect them negatively in the long run? I know I don't want the memory of my mother's breast in my mouth! LOL

So ladies thought I'd pop in to say I get my next ultrasound at 20weeks when I'll find out the gender! On July 6th! Yay! I'm excited! Also super excited I hit the 12week mark on Thursday :)

:hugs::happydance: How great Colsy! Im glad things turned out well and you do not have to worry anymore!

[/QUOTE]

I can't put an age on it exactly - but definitely the almost 4 year old in the picture is too old for my taste. I think a lot of it, sadly, is social influence. It's definitely not the norm to see a kid run around playing with his friends then run up to mom and breastfeed. I think this calls attention to the mom and child, and I think breastfeeding is a personal way to bond and nurture your child, and should be done in a personal and private way. I don't have a problem with babies being fed in public if the mom's boob isn't hanging out. I just think showing off your breasts in any form is inappropriate - I feel it should be private and not call attention to what you're doing (under a blanket is fine or even making sure your breast is covered by your shirt).[/QUOTE]

This ^ :thumbup: That pretty much sums up how I feel about it! I think its a personal thing that should be between mother and child, not everyone who is around to see it. And as much as people say our breasts are made for feeding babies, they ARE sexual in nature. So to me breastfeeding a child of school age is not appropriate because one day the child will see breasts as a sexual thing, even if its not 100% and will feel odd for having mother breast feed them till they were 7!

I wanted to breast feed my son but it just did not work out that way. It was not this lovely, warm, bonding feeling I thought it was going to be. I feel it hurt our bond at first because the pain it caused I did not want him to even wake up because I knew it would hurt. I only breast fed for a month and I could not take it anymore. I give applause to any woman who can make it past that point. It made me cry constantly, even when I was not in pain. I was engorged to the point my nipples were flat, I got mastitis twice in both breasts leading me to be admitted into the hospital, after that I suffered every body illness one could think of including blood poisoning which kills more people than cured. Not only did it make me ill my son was ill and colicy the whole time. I stopped drinking milk since they thought that was the problem but he barfed and cried every time. When I switched to formula EVERYTHING changed. He no longer cried in pain, he no longer puked, I no longer cried all the time, my nipples were no longer bleeding,I felt gulity at first but now it was the BEST decision I've ever made!! So much so I will not be breast feeding this new baby. I will start formula from the beginning and pump what I can till I dry up. Breast feeding just isnt for every mother, or baby for that matter.

My son has never been ill since not even with the sniffles, he has never been over the 60% range in weight, and has reached many milestones before many children his age. He is a healthy, smart boy and it has nothing to do with breast feeding. I think the statistics really depend on a lot of factors. I was breast fed and sick constantly and always struggling with my weight, my husband was formula fed for 6 months then cows milk fed the rest of his life and he is NEVER sick and weighs less than me :nope: I think Im smarter though :haha:

daddiesgift - I think it's a blessing to have formula these days. Think of way back when ... if breastfeeding didn't work out, the baby just suffered. Unfortunately, bf'ing doesn't work out for many women (my mom could never go past a week or two). My son weaned himself at 6 months. Thankfully, we have good formula available to us to keep our babies healthy and strong. I ended up giving him formula til he was 2 1/2 just because I wanted to continue the benefits. I doubt I would have bfed that long, but I was glad to have a healthy alternative. I think it's great you plan to pump for as long as you can, but I don't think you need to feel bad in any way that you're unable to bfeed!

I dont feel guilty anymore at all, I really enjoy bottle feeding and really cant see it any other way! I thought to get my supply going Id just latch new baby in hospital then when milk came in pump, but lately my nipples have been so dry and itchy they have started to crack which reminded me of having cracked nipples and I just cant do that again! I guess I will talk to doctor about best option for getting milk supply going with just pumping. I tried to pump after I stopped BFing my son but he kept puking it up so I just said forget it and let myself dry up.

On another note, I dont see how anyone chooses the "attachment" parenting, my son gives us NO choice! :haha: Pretty much since he started crawling, and me finding out im pregnant again he has been attached at my hip! He slept with me first month of his life, then in a crib next to my bed for a month then from 3 months till about 6 months he slept OVER NIGHT in his own room in his own bed. How peaceful that was! Then all of a sudden he would just wake up screaming and screaming. I tried to let him cry it out but you can tell when he just wont stop, which is most the time he really cries. So here he is BACK in our room, half nights back in our bed! I lay him down in his crib in our room and he wakes up and gets up and shakes the side of his crib crying, then I get him and he falls right asleep in our bed.

I know Im not making it any better but im so exhausted lately and ill feeling that just so I can get some sleep I let him in our bed. He was crying every time I even left the room, now only doing it half the time so I have to bring him with me. Now he is doing it to my husband! Right now my husband is in the bath room and my son is in there too since he started crying when he left the room! and now if we want him to nap longer than 20 mins I have to hold him the whole time and he will sleep for hours. Im going to ask the doctor about it at his appointment at the end of the month. Last appointment at his 6 month doctor told me he was probably just teething and needing the comfort of me and that since he was becoming more active at night he just wants to get up and move and now sees the "world as a big place" and scared to be alone in his own room. IDK! But im sleepy :(

daddiesgift - I don't know how you do it! I was so sleep deprived when my son was young - I can't imagine that and being pregnant on top of it!! I hope this is just a phase and that your son gives you some peace soon! My only suggestion is to try to let dh take care of him as much as possible - which it sounds like he's doing. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->