NT scan.. Tests etc... I don't get it

P

pickle85

Hi all

Forgive me if I sound very dense here but I'm very confused

When I was pregnant last time (ended in mmc) my MW asked me if I wanted to pay extra for the NT scan or just have the blood tests, she told me that having the scan is only a few percent more accurate than the blood test anyway so at the time I said no, however I see most people on here have it. Also I have two friends and two sister in laws that had babies in the last 18 months and none of them had this scan or even know anything about it.

Also when my eldest sister in law was pregnant 7 years ago she found out her baby had turners syndrome by the high NT level but they told her this at her normal 12 week scan, have they started doing things differently now then? Sorry am just very confused and want to know what to say for my first MW app next week. I'm 25 by the way.

Thanks all :)

My hospital do the nuchal scan free of charge. You shouldn't have to pay for it? In both my pregnancys i have been offered the nuchal scan with the blood test at the same time. Just seems standard here. But I am in my 30's so wonder if thats why. Maybe they consider you a low risk?

It was about £100 plus which is a lot of money when we've got baby things to save up for!!

I have never heard of anyone paying for it, only privately. i wonder why they are charging? maybe ask your midwife why you have to pay?

Hiya, just wanted to say the Nhs have brought in combined nuchal testing now, from April 2010. Prior it was blood test only and dating scan. In 2008 I paid for an nt scan.

I paid for an nt scan this time only because baby wouldn't get into the right position for measuring. They tried on and off for two hours but the Nhs don't offer repeat scan if by chance they can't get the measurement. They still offer the blood test at this point, but alone it is not the best indicator for potential problems. Due to my age I just thought it was best for me.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse things more?

Xxxx

Hiya, just wanted to say the Nhs have brought in combined nuchal testing now, from April 2010. Prior it was blood test only and dating scan. In 2008 I paid for an nt scan.

I paid for an nt scan this time only because baby wouldn't get into the right position for measuring. They tried on and off for two hours but the Nhs don't offer repeat scan if by chance they can't get the measurement. They still offer the blood test at this point, but alone it is not the best indicator for potential problems. Due to my age I just thought it was best for me.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse things more?

Xxxx

No that does help thanks Hun as explains why none of my friends were offered it.

Some areas offer the NT as part of 12 week scan tho some still don't.

My hospital do not offer the NT scan, only the blood test at 16 weeks. Should I want it I have to pay private. Its pretty wrong I think - something this important should be avalible to everyone IMO.

When i was pregnant with my last 3 children i was only ever offered the blood test. This time the hospital i had my other children at closed down last week, so im now going to another hospital which do the NT as scan form at your 12 week scan. My MW said something about checking the folds or the thickness of the babys neck. I will also have to have the blood tests at 16 weeks.

I think Freya is right about it being a new thing, not sure if all hospitals do it thou. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->