Nursing while pregnant

floatingbaby

Mum of 1 and Preggo!
Reaction score
:wave: Anyone else pregnant while still nursing little one?

DD is 9.5 months and I am 5w pregnant. I am very happy to be growing two babies at once, but am starting to feel the effects.

DD has increased nursing recently as she's been sick nearly all month :( She was going 12hrs at night without nursing, but now she isn't eating as much solids b/c she isn't feeling well, so I'm having to get up and breastfeed in the night when I desperately am needing sleep.

I also feel insatiable! I could eat and eat and eat! But of course I want to maintain a healthy weight gain...so... gah! :shrug: I heard that calcium is super important too, but I'm not one to drink a glass of milk.

Anyone else feel like they could eat a horse and sleep all day?!:haha:

:wave: Anyone else pregnant while still nursing little one?

DD is 9.5 months and I am 5w pregnant. I am very happy to be growing two babies at once, but am starting to feel the effects.

DD has increased nursing recently as she's been sick nearly all month :( She was going 12hrs at night without nursing, but now she isn't eating as much solids b/c she isn't feeling well, so I'm having to get up and breastfeed in the night when I desperately am needing sleep.

I also feel insatiable! I could eat and eat and eat! But of course I want to maintain a healthy weight gain...so... gah! :shrug: I heard that calcium is super important too, but I'm not one to drink a glass of milk.

Anyone else feel like they could eat a horse and sleep all day?!:haha:

yes, yes, yes!! I am sooooo hungry!!! and i remember from nursing DD that that made me hungry too, so you must be starving!! x x:happydance:

I'm also nursing my kiddo. I was constantly hungry but ms seems to have set in and I'm not very hungry at all now. :( Peanut butter toast is my best friend right now.

My biggest problem right now is drinking enough water. My tummy is quite queasy most of the time and water isn't really going down too easy. When I was pregnant with my son I had to make Popsicles that were half water, half apple juice to get liquid in me for a week or so. I think I'll try that again tomorrow. Hopefully this ms will last only as long as it did with my first kiddo, which was only until about 9 weeks.

I'm pretty exhausted too but my little guy is keeping me going so I don't really have time to think about being tired. He still wakes through the night every night every 1-3 hours, depending on the night. Sometimes it's every hour, sometimes less. He's been like this since he was born. I don't expect to sleep for the next few years... :coffee:

How are you ladies feeling (beside hungry :) haha!)

Yuck, I remember with dd not being able to drink water and feeling so thirsty. I could just sip it and it was not soothing :( Guess I should guzzle it down now while I can!

Props to you, too scared, for handling your nights so well! I would probably be a basket case :haha: I tried napping with her today, but I am bad at sleeping during the day. So I'm just going to have early nights, I think.

Otherwise I am feeling OK - my nipples are super sensitive though, and DD likes to play with one while nursing from the other - so not helping! And I have pressure/tightening in my uterus. Makes me feel lovely <3

Me! I am 5w today and still feeding my 18mo ds

I've also noticed a feeding increase like he is suspicious something is up!!!

I put a stop to night feeds though about 4 months ago and refuse to feed him if he wakes at all at night. I know yours has been poorly though. Try not to get back into the habit of feeding at night though as your body will be exhausted! Once she's feeling better of course.

Do you plan to tandem feed or will you be weaning? My oh wants me to stop but if I had my way I'd feed until he self weaned. Oh is quite ignorant and thinks it should only be done until 6 months or something rediculous which really has and still does irritate me at times! I've persisted so far but I don't know how I would realistically cope with two babies and night feeds again!!

Me! I'm 12 weeks and nursing my 13 month old :) I have been feeling tired but I put it down to pregnancy and I feel like I could drink all water in the world! Nips have just started to feel less sore so yay xxx

My nipples are so tender. :( My shirt brushing against me hurts. :wacko: Looking forward to that stopping.

We bed share so waking as often as I do isn't too bad. He's seeming to be starting to stretch out the waking so that is making me really happy. O hope it continues! :)

I plan to tandem nurse and want my kiddos to seeing wean. We'll have to see how it goes. :)

There's a sticky on this in the BF forum if you want any more advice :flower: xx

Hey great thread, breastfeeding ds2 age 13 months here, between 4w3d - 5w3d pregnant :flower:

There are quite a lot of us breastfeeding through pregnancy on this forum. My DD is much older (nearly 3) but I'm still breastfeeding too. It took me AGES to conceive due to breastfeeding so I'm delighted it finally happened without me having to wean. My DD assures me there's been no drop in my supply, though my nipples are slightly sore during feeds for the first time ever. DD is very good in that if I tell her it's sore, she will switch sides or stop.

There's a great La Leche League book called "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" that talks all about breastfeeding through pregnancy and after the new baby is born.

It's great to see so many other mum's still nursing! I plan to tandem nurse, DD is really attached to the breastaurant, but I have heard that it can become quite difficult. I would like her to self wean though. I keep seeing that book title pop up, I'll have to get a copy!

My in-laws thought I should stop nursing at 6 months! Needless to say, when they arrive tomorrow I won't be telling them I am pregnant!

Honey, have you given OH info about the benefits (for everyone) of extended nursing? I'm sure you have - sorry! Good for you for continuing feeding in the face of opposition - that must be difficult :(

Cangaroo, it's pretty cool that your DD can chat with you about how everything is going! Mine just bites the right one if its empty or grabs my left and pulls it toward herself!

But as soon as she's better and eating well again we will say bye bye to night feedings again!

It's much easier now we can talk and reason with her. She's still very attached to nursing.

Another one here! Nursing my 2-year old and 7 weeks pregnant with number two. My son only nurses 2-3 times a day now so it isn't too much but I'm definitely not enjoying the tender nipples!
So far no obvious drop in supply. If he decides to wean while I'm pregnant I'll accept it, but I'm open to tandem nursing as well if that's the route we take. I really cherish our breastfeeding relationship.

I've been nursing while pregnant but I think our days are numbered! First trimester was fine (minus the hunger part...I say, just eat as much as you need to eat!) but second tri. is a whole different beast. My nipples are SO sore and I absolutely hate breastfeeding now. Thank goodness my son is down to one feed a day, that he doesn't really need any way, because I can't do this for much longer. Hope you don't have the same experience!

That's what I heard, Paris - that it gets to be very difficult!

I always nurse dd before bed - but the last 3 nights she has not been interested. When did your babies give up the night feed?

I always nurse dd before bed - but the last 3 nights she has not been interested. When did your babies give up the night feed?

Good question! I'd like to know this too as my 13 mo still wakes for boob xx

I think we dropped at approx. 1 year. He was still not sleeping through so we thought that might help. It did...at least temporarily :)

I nursed through the first 6 months of my last pregnancy and am nursing that baby through this one. He's now 10 months old and will not be ready to wean himself off anytime soon. However, my supply has gone WAY down with the hormones, so I have had to supplement with my frozen stash. Do be careful of your baby's weight because the pregnancy hormones can mess with your supply. And eat up! Go ahead - your body is craving nutrition to help keep your supply up as much as possible! And congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!! I will be tandem nursing as well, and it is going to be interesting, I'm sure. ;)

Wow! Good for you xdxx - that's impressive! I think that my lo gets most of her calories though solids. She eats a ton and is back to nursing only about 4 times a day - But it's hard for me to say whether it's for nutrition or comfort... probably both still, I suppose :D
But that is great that you have a frozen stash! I certainly don't - the pump and I are not friends! Your baby will be here in a few weeks, eh?! Please keep us posted on what it's like to tandem nurse and how your 10 month old manages sharing and whatnot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->