Nut butter

Kitten

Mummy to Theakston & Nyah
Reaction score
I know a lot of people talk about using nut butter for spreading and stuff and I was just wondering where you get it, or do you make it? I've tried supermarkets but no joy but have found a few organic stores online selling it but reluctant to buy online and pay for postage. Do they do it instore at Holland & Barrett (they don't sell much of their food on their website)?

You can get peanut butter and other nut butters in most supermarkets, a good brand is Whole Earth.

From Holland and Barrett stores you can get various ones too, I've had their Cashew nut butter in the past.

However, my HV said to wait until a year before giving these....

I have been giving Freya Whole Earth organic peanut butter for about a week now, she really loves it. I just got it from Tesco. I know we are told to wait til later before giving it, but there are no nut allergies in my family and because Freya has no meat or dairy I wanted to get some protein into her. She has it on toast, crackers, jacket potato etc. :)

I make my own peanut butter with just peanut oil and salted peanuts.
Probably about 4 cups peanuts to 1/4 cup peanut oil in the food processor (though you can do in a blender, just a bit harder to clean and need to add things slower). This makes about 1lb or so? I make it mainly by eye so can't be much more specific. I actually do 2x the container I plan to store the nut butter in of nuts, then oil until it seems the right consistency, when it starts to ball up around the food processor blade... Makes enough to fill the container.
Can certainly apply this to other nut butters as well.

I thought it was just peanuts we had to avoid which is why I thought butters from others nuts would be acceptable?

Found this for those not sure:

Nuts

It's true that you shouldn't give whole nuts to children who are under five years old, because of the risk of choking. But nut butters and ground nuts are fine for babies over six months old and children who do not have a family history of allergies.

Serious allergies to nuts and nut products and some seeds affect less than one per cent of the population. Your baby may be at higher risk if you, your baby's father, brothers or sisters have certain allergic conditions such as hayfever, asthma and/or eczema.

The Department of Health says that if you or your partner has a history of allergies, you may wish to consider avoiding peanuts during pregnancy and breastfeeding, and not feed your child peanuts for her first three years. However, the Food Standards Agency has said this advice should be withdrawn, because there's not enough evidence to support it.

To be honest I got the impression at my clinic that none of them knew the answer when I asked when I could give nut butter. I think they said a year to cover their own backs. Hmm. We don't have nut allergies in our family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->