O/T eBay sales

cmarie33

Newly pregnant with #1!
Reaction score
Ok i know I should probably post this somewhere else but I feel most comfortable talking to you ladies.
OH and I are thinking of trying to make some extra money by selling through eBay. Does anyone have any experience of this and ideas of what will sell well?
Just want a general discussion please :) xx

Yep i do this, stuff we don't need/kids have grown out of etc etc - so clearout and make a few quid.

I did think about setting up a business but wasn't sure in what so need to research that a bit more lol! Kids toys go well, not new clothes not so well (from my experience anyway).

Just a few things I'd mention:

- luggin all the stuff the Po and packing it up is a pain in the backside and takes ages as does the listing so its not as easy as it looks - is time consuming
- ebay take 10% final value fee and paypal takes 5.25% which eats into any money you make as well as if you have to pay an insertion fee and the most important one for me is
- send everything recorded delivery. If you do not have a tracking number and the buyer "says" it hasn't arrived paypal will automitically refund to the buyer so you lose the item and the money gets given back. Proof of postage ie receipt from the PO will not cut it, even tho is proves it was posted, they will still refund. You then have the issue of trying to take it up with royalmail and you have to wait ages before filing a lost claim with them and is just sooo much hassle its better to just send recorded. This applies to airmail items too not just UK.

I learnt the hard way and lost an expensive item and the money for it!

I have have had a few buyers file non receipt claims only for me to inform them I have a tracking number and royalmail.com shows it was delivered and their signature as accepting the item! doh! - they can't be too bright but I am suspicous and am sure there are unfortunately dishonest people out there - shame but hey ho.

hope that helps.

Yeah we've done bits from clear outs before and had similar problems. Hmm... I'll have a think xx

I use it alot to get rid of small postable items - mainly books and clothes. Larger items I stick on local FB buy/swap sites, no Ebay fees :)

look out for when ebay do there free weekends where u can list stuff for free:

- baby clothes bundles
- books
- dvd bundles
- shoes
- clothes

bundle of stuff of sells good...and try to make it so they all findih on the same day so you only have to make one trip to the post office when posting everything.

as PP said i really wouldnt bother with larger items as postage insane...instead use gumtree or Loot or even the Sun Classified!

Charlie5 gave great advice. Unfortunately there are a lot of scammers out there and ebay almost always side with buyers, so it's important to cover yourself xx

Oh yeah and you also get 100 listings (for items starting at 99p or less) free a calendar month ie no insertions fees but still will incur final value fees and paypal fees :) if its a special offer you can also get free listing with that in addition to your 100 so long as you meet criteria ie sometimes it'll be listing must be £1.00 or over or the other week it was if you use paypal only as your payment method.

You can also download a programme (turbo lister I thinkits called) so you can list items in bulk and get it all typed up and ready etc and upload all at once when you want (listing this way is not included in the free listings day and will eat into your free 100).

my friend said she got a much better price and response putting items on facebook.

To be honest I was thinking about handmade cards etc and advertising on fb. Seems pretty popular at the moment xx

Yeah I've looked into that, it's similar to Avon etc, you need to earn over a certain amount before declaring it I think? x

Iv decided to take my business ANYWHERE but eBay, I sell baby blankets, and at £7.00 each thats cheap, however, by the time iv covered eBay fee's, PP fees etc im only making about £3.00 profit....Its day light robbery, and As a test, i put my ad on facebook selling pages and one on eBay, in a month i sold 30 blankets on facebook and 0 on eBay!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->