Obese and waterbirth? And a few more questions...

jessa_cole

Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying that I'm in the USA and I'm not currently pregnant but hope to be soon. I am eating healthy and exercising regularly and have been losing some weight slowly but surely.

Are there midwives/OBs who will let obese women (nearing 300 pounds) do a waterbirth? I am hoping to have a waterbirth at home but that brings up another question. Can I have a waterbirth in my apartment? Would I need to OK it through my landlord? Or would I need to have the birth elsewhere (like my mom's house)?

I definitely want to do a homebirth/waterbirth. I've never been pregnant before but I was at the hospital with my mom when she had her youngest and I did not like how it was done. She was induced (pitocen), had an epidural, had an immediate and serious blood pressure drop (from the pitocen/epidural mix), and they just seemed to rush her along. She also ended up needing oxygen because of the whole "hold your breath and push" crap. In the end, she delivered a beautiful and healthy baby girl but I would rather not have a birth like that.

I am also curious to know the answer to your question.

I'm also technically in the "obese" range (my BMI is 39:() but I'm also dieting and exercising as well as losing some weight (I just lost 20lbs!). I hadn't even considered before that my future midwife might not want me to do a water birth at my weight. I'm almost 6" and carry my weight really well (I'm big but still completely proportional; no crazy angles or anything) so I've never been denied doing something before because of my weight, so I guess this just hadn't crossed my mind... but now I'm worried, lol!

I hope we both find out some answers/advice soon! :)

in the UK if your BMI is over a certain level they wont let you waterbirth in a hospital but you can do whatever you like in your own home but they dont allow it in hospital incase they have to get you out in an emergancy and couldnt lift you. I would have it as one of your questions when interviewing MW's as its probably down to each one on an individual basis

Like Lynnikins said, in the US unless you have a HB I don't think it would be possible. At home, you can do whatever you like :)

The MW I am going to offers waterbirth. They have a class you have to attend first, but they didn't mention a weight limit. I'll be going to the birthing center.

Thanks for all the info! I did contact a midwife in my area and she said that weight won't automatically risk me out of a home/waterbirth with her so that's great news.

im pretty sure they could use a hoist to get you out... although i guess it's not the quickest of options.

actually come to think of it, it might not be the safest either! :wacko: ignore me!!

I figured if I needed to be moved, my hubby could get me out. He's a big beefy guy. He can almost pick me up now, I'm sure if there was an emergency, the adrenaline would kick in and he could get me out.

Honestly I think the "getting out of the pool" thing is a load of bull... There are 2 midwives present PLUS a DH/DW/OH at every birth, enough man power to probably lift a small car :lol:

I'm glad you posted this. I'm not having my first birth like this but if things go well this birth next child I would like to have a waterbirth at home. I too am obese and have many questions. That will be a few years from now though lol. Plus I'm basing my decision on a waterbirth by how well I deal with labor in this pregnancy lol

Hospitals here dont allow anyone over a certain bmi to waterbirth so im doing mine at home. My bmi is 47 and no health issues yet :)

If you have your baby at home you can do what you want but I'd be wary of the pool in a flat.

They're very heavy and obviously much heavier filled with water, so you would probably be better at your mum's house than your apartment.

If you have your baby at home you can do what you want but I'd be wary of the pool in a flat.

They're very heavy and obviously much heavier filled with water, so you would probably be better at your mum's house than your apartment.

You're probably right BUT I did read somewhere that if you'd be comfortable with 10 adults standing close together in your apartment, you should be OK because the weight of the pool while filled is about the same as 10 average sized adults.

I would prefer to be at apartment for 2 reasons: 1-well, it's my home and I feel safe here and 2-I'm <5 minutes from the hospital in case of an emergency. I'd be fine with doing it at my mom's house but she lives about 15 minutes from the hospital. At least I have plenty of time to figure out what I want to do. I'm not even pregnant yet, lol.

There are different sizes of pools, but they are around 1000-1200lbs when full.

Here most hospitals don't have the facilities for a waterbirth so you would have to have a homebirth to get one anyway. My MW does mostly HB and she has no "weight limit" at all. Getting cleared for a HB is all about maintaining a low risk pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->