Obstetric Cholestasis & RhD Factors Rhesus

I had this with my second child. It's very rare. I complained to my doctor constantly about the itching. I couldn't even sleep at night, I would lay awake crying and itching. I itched so much I left huge scratches all over my body. My doctor repeatedly told me it was PUPS, some sort of pregnancy rash. Well he was sorely wrong and it almost cost my baby's life and my life. After months of this I went to the ER and literally demanded something to be done. (I felt like I was going crazy the itching was so bad!) At first they all thought I was crazy but then they started doing the blood work and it was not good. They induced me immediately. My doctor nor his partner that was on call that day had ever seen a case and the head OB doctor at the hospital had only seen one the entire time she practiced.

If you feel like something is not right with your body, research it. I personally will never fully trust a doctor again because of what happened. If I had not of went in that night my son probably would not have made it.

Thank you so much for posting information about this.

I'm RH- married to a RH+ with 2 + girls. I'm sure the doctor and nurses thought I was crazy (when I miscarried and had a D&C) and kept telling them to make sure they give me the antigen shot. It was also one of the first questions I asked after waking.

I agree with Mum. Your health care is your own. Trust your instincts.

mum i too suffered from cholestasis in pregnancy did they tell you it would occur in furture pregs??

Natty,

I had cholestasis and had a c-section at 37+4. I've just got my appointment for the hospital follow-up. I'm not sure what to expect. All i know is that i have to see a doctor/consultant because i had cholestasis. Have you any idea what i can expect at this appointment.

Marie

Hiya , they will just be taking bloods to confirm that the cholestasis has gone as its meant to dissapear after childbirth nothing too scary although i still had a liver problem a year later after my son was born it was 18 months until it went yet the drs would not give me any kind of contraception as its too dangerous. Its all fine now and im expecting baby number 2 just scared it will all happen again xxxx i had my boy at 37+2 i was induced he came the same day and he was perfect xx

Natty and any others who had OC

I had my follow-up appointment yesterday with a consultant about the OC.

The first thing he asked was whether i dyed my hair in pregnancy. When i said Yes, he asked when this was in relation to when the itching started. I had already started itching slightly, but it did increase considerably once i had dyed my hair. (i had an all-over colour, to try and get me back to my natural colour before baby was born). The consultant said that the dye would not have harmed the baby, but it would have created more toxins in my body.

We also talked about the high BP that i had near the end. The consultants comment was that this would have created extra strain on my body, hence why my body couldn't get rid of the toxins/bile acids.

I pointed out that i'm cautiously pregnant, he has booked me in for another appointment with him in 6 months time.

He also mentioned that some studies have showen that OC sufferers could have a defficiency of Selenium. They have taken more bloods and are testing my Selenium levels, in the meantime he has suggested i eat chocolate covered brazil nuts.

Has anybody else been told similar stuff to me? He did also point out that 25% of OC sufferers will get it again in their next pregnancy.

Marie

Hiya,

I can honestly say ive never heard any of this !! I had to take vitiman K and another tablet that was used for gaulstones (sorry cant spell that lol). I was told 80% of future pregs would end with OC also xx

I had a fantastic consultant , he never mentioned hair dye and i never dyed my hair xx

hi all ! quite puzzled-im rh negative and my partner positive blood groups,we have a child togetha who is same blood group as me negative. we didnt think anything of it....
we now have a 2nd child togetha on the way as im pregnant,but the midwife said that my childs father must be negative too as our 1st child is negative? does both parents have to be negative.
some1 please help me on this. thanks

Thx for the info about RH-ve. I know my Dad's RH-ve, but i've never been tested. Seems like a good time to do it now... :)

hi all ! quite puzzled-im rh negative and my partner positive blood groups,we have a child togetha who is same blood group as me negative. we didnt think anything of it....
we now have a 2nd child togetha on the way as im pregnant,but the midwife said that my childs father must be negative too as our 1st child is negative? does both parents have to be negative.

Hi shezxxroberts. I've just looked it up, and I believe it's a recessive chacteristic.

You inherit two chacteristics - one from your Mum and one from your Dad. If there's at least one RH+ve, it will be dominant and you'll be RH+ve. So you can only be RH-ve if both parents pass it on.

Hi shezxxroberts. I've just looked it up, and I believe it's a recessive chacteristic.

You inherit two chacteristics - one from your Mum and one from your Dad. If there's at least one RH+ve, it will be dominant and you'll be RH+ve. So you can only be RH-ve if both parents pass it on.

Umm...not exactly true. I am RH- and my mom is RH+. Not sure what my dad is but he had to have been RH- too. :shrug:

I am also thinking based on what I have gathered that whether you get RH- or RH+ seems to depend on what your dad had.

Here are some examples:
Dad: RH-
+
Mom: RH+
=Me: RH-

Grandpa: RH+
+
Grandma: RH-
=Mom: RH+

FIL: RH+
+
MIL: RH-
= DH: RH+

Based on my predictions the male gene seems to be more dominant in the determination on the blood type and also based on my predictions it is probable that when me and DH have a baby it will be RH+.

Grantswife, thanks for prompting me to go back and check this again. I don't think I had it quite clear in my head, so I didn't explain it well.

Each parent has two alleles (either + or -). If at least one of those is + (either ++ or +-), the parent will be RH+. They pass one of their alleles onto their baby, and it can be either allele.

So a parent with +- (who would be RH+) could pass the - allele onto their baby. If both parents pass on a - allele, the baby will be -- (RH-).

For shezxxroberts, this means that both her and the baby's father must have passed on a - allele... but the baby's father could be either +- (RH+) or -- (RH-).

I don't know whether that makes it much clearer (!), but there's a good link here: https://www.drgreene.com/qa/are-they-really-my-parents

(Sorry about the title of the link - obviously not relevant to what's being discussed here, but I can't find another link with a good explanation.)

is it possible to get Obstetric Cholestasis in early pregnancy. im only 6 weeks but i had my liver tested and the doctor said ive got too many enzymes in my liver. ive also been have problems with my gallbladder. having gallbladder attacks and such.

is it possible to get Obstetric Cholestasis in early pregnancy. im only 6 weeks but i had my liver tested and the doctor said ive got too many enzymes in my liver. ive also been have problems with my gallbladder. having gallbladder attacks and such.

I had this same problem , i was tested after my first (about a year after) and my liver was abnormal then all through this pregnancy my liver was abnormal aswell but only slightly so they wouldnt class it as OC as the numbers just werent high enough, my ALT was 60 when a normal person was 30 but when i was pregnant with my first and had OC the numbers were as high as 600!! I doubt they will class it as cholestasis to be honest i think they will just say its abnormal LFT's and keep and eye on it xxx

I feel for you x I had my gall bladder out 3 months after having Alfie and had OC... miserable times!

Did the doc check your bile acid levels?

Hi all ,
Just miscarried my first pregnancy at 8wks. I'm Rh - . They gave me an immunglobulin shot straight away.

Nervous now about trying again.

I have rh disease, have had with the last two of my four pregnacies.
My daughter was fine as she is also rh neg but my youngest is rh pos and was in icu for 2 weeks after he was born and was monitored for the first year of his life, thankfully he is fine now and it has had no lasting problems.
I have anti c and anit d antibodies, im hoping for another rh neg baby this time!

Hi, i havnt bee on here for a while after having my son. I am RH neg and i have suffered from OC in both my pregnancies.....is there a link i wonder?

They do say that if you have had OC in one pregnancy then its more likely to happen in the next pregnancys.

I was wondering about the link because they say OC could be hereditry....yet neither my sister or my mum have suffered from it...nor do they have negative blood.....just little me lol, so im wondering if it could be linked or am im just unlucky haha i also suffered from numerous bleed which then i required the anti D x

Hi, i havnt bee on here for a while after having my son. I am RH neg and i have suffered from OC in both my pregnancies.....is there a link i wonder?

They do say that if you have had OC in one pregnancy then its more likely to happen in the next pregnancys.

I was wondering about the link because they say OC could be hereditry....yet neither my sister or my mum have suffered from it...nor do they have negative blood.....just little me lol, so im wondering if it could be linked or am im just unlucky haha i also suffered from numerous bleed which then i required the anti D x

Ive had OC in both pregnancies but not RH neg i think you must be unlucky :( x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->