****October Bumpkins 2010 - Parenting Thread****

Right onwards and upwards, think I need to get some PMA running back through my veins and stop posting all these depressing posts! :haha:

So I thought it would be a good idea for us all to name one baby item that we'd really recommend/couldn't do without. Our newest addition is one of these sleepywraps - https://www.sleepywrap.com/

They were recommended to us and I must say although we have a babybjorn which we used with Bella, these are ace! Sophia settles and falls asleep immediately when she's in there and my OH is loving it, as it so much harder for the boys to find a way to settle the babes (as they don't have boobs lol!). He has even taken her into the study with him to work with it on and has been on conference calls and been able to type away responding to emails etc, whilst i've been doing the dinner or expressing etc. Its great for getting all your chores done too/if you need hands free to play with an older sibling. They're not too expensive either at £35.

xxxxxxxx

hey yummy mummies, How are we all doing. I hardly pop on anymore as dont have much time. Cant believe my LO is a month old now. Time is going so quickly its unbelievable. his smiling as well now which makes my heart melt.
xxx

Beaniebaby I have the same thing only a different brand (mine is a Moby wrap) and they are awesome!!!

MommyKC, if you have any tips on weaning off let me know. If I continue pumping as Sophia's not physically latching on will my supply just gradually die down by itsself?

Well what I did was start giving her one bottle a day (and breastfeed the rest but you're giving her everything in a bottle right?)... I just would give her two bottles the next day... then three the next, with all formula. Or you can mix them, whatever you prefer. But just gradually take less and less milk off yourself otherwise you will keep producing and if you do just stop suddenly, you will get VERY engorged. For me, it worked great to just keep replacing breastmilk with formula instead, and I would just hand-express a little milk off my breasts to prevent me getting too uncomfortable. Eventually your body will slow down the supply and you'll produce less and less. Now, I'm still producing milk but its minimal and my breasts are almost empty, I can feel it. And I just stopped 6 days ago. So that seems to have worked well for me anyway. :hugs:

And you're right, I think that was the hardest for me... watching my toddler not get hardly any attention from me because I was constantly breastfeeding, or in pain. :( Now I can give Alora a bottle and she's satisfied for MUCH longer and its much easier in the long run. Sure, it sucks to make up bottles but I have felt SOOO much better since I made the switch. Sometimes formula just is the best thing for us. :)

xx

Oh and I have a sleepywrap as well, I admit I haven't used it yet because I can't seem to get the knack of it. :blush: But I plan to start using it!

MommyKC, if you have any tips on weaning off let me know. If I continue pumping as Sophia's not physically latching on will my supply just gradually die down by itsself?

Well what I did was start giving her one bottle a day (and breastfeed the rest but you're giving her everything in a bottle right?)... I just would give her two bottles the next day... then three the next, with all formula. Or you can mix them, whatever you prefer. But just gradually take less and less milk off yourself otherwise you will keep producing and if you do just stop suddenly, you will get VERY engorged. For me, it worked great to just keep replacing breastmilk with formula instead, and I would just hand-express a little milk off my breasts to prevent me getting too uncomfortable. Eventually your body will slow down the supply and you'll produce less and less. Now, I'm still producing milk but its minimal and my breasts are almost empty, I can feel it. And I just stopped 6 days ago. So that seems to have worked well for me anyway. :hugs:

And you're right, I think that was the hardest for me... watching my toddler not get hardly any attention from me because I was constantly breastfeeding, or in pain. :( Now I can give Alora a bottle and she's satisfied for MUCH longer and its much easier in the long run. Sure, it sucks to make up bottles but I have felt SOOO much better since I made the switch. Sometimes formula just is the best thing for us. :)

xx

Ah thanks hun this is v. reassuring. I'm so glad your feeling better about your decision too and the transition has gone so well for you. It does sound like Alora is v. content on it. Sophia's had 5 feeds so far today, two of which were formula (one more than yesterday) and the rest expressed. We'll give her her usual formula bottle before bedtime and i'll express in a min towards the nighttime feeds. I may just substitute a feed every couple of days and see how I go as don't wanna rush things. She's been v. content today considering i've not latched her on for the first time and stuck to bottles and i've found it a lot easier to stick to some sort of routine. Its also been great not having to worry about Bella witnessing my uncomfortable feeding sessions and having more time for her! Thanks for your support. :hugs:

That's great you and Stoneswife have babywraps already. The Sleepywrap is really easy once you get the hang of it so do get it out and give it another go, you'll reep the benefits!

xxx

Sounds like you're doing great hun. :hugs: Definitely no need to rush things, I just moved faster because I was so engorged it was easier to just give up breastfeeding quicker because I wanted the engorgement to go down. But what you're doing is great and if Sophia is happy, then that's what matters. :thumbup: :hugs:

I will definitely give the sleepy wrap another try soon, I'm just concerned how to use it when I'm out and about... won't it be mean to pull her out of her warm carseat to put her into the wrap?? :haha:
I definitely think it would come in handy around the house though!

Mommykc I bet Alora would like the sleepy wrap over her carseat because she'd be close to your heart and would be much warmer next to your body. I find my lil one loves it. As soon as I put her in it she's out like a light! and your oldest will love it cause mom's hands will be free... there are videos on how to wrap on the moby.com website and I'm positive the sleepywrap is the same thing. It was so intimidating to me at first but as soon as I learned how to use it its been great. And I know you girls are weaning from BF but I hear they're great for BFing hands free.

Think Im gonna have to look at getting one of those sleepy wrap things, they look fab and very comfy for bubs

Hi girls, not been on here for a couple of days & soooo much has happened.

The photos look gorgeous:flower: you must be very proud.

I made myself a wrap as it's just a piece of material & I didn't want to pay the premium so I bought some material from John Lewis & made it up. The only problem is I can't seem to fit Leo inside it :dohh: Never mind! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually. He keeps on slipping out or I get worried that he's going to suffocate! I'll keep trying as I know he loves being on my chest & spends most of his day there.

My favourite buy so far is his cosatto travel cot - we have it up in the living room & it means we don't need to move the moses basket up and down stairs. We don't have room for the pram to go up anywhere & wouldn't have it in the lounge anyway (for cleaning sake) so it's perfect. I love the changing mat that's built in too. www.cosatto.com/products/nursery/travel-cots-and-play-pens

Leo's got his own library card now & yesterday I made his birth announcement thank you cards. We had lots of fun. Anyone know how to upload a pdf file as that's what it's in & I'd like to put it in my journal.

Laura your avatar is gorgeous!! How are you?

I must say us October Bumpkins have gorgeous babies!! :D

I've stopped Tristan's Gaviscon, it didn't seem to make him any better, he ended up with bellyache. He's cried loads the last 2 days :( He just wants cuddling!

I had a bath with him last night :cloud9: He got all excited kicking his legs and then helped himself to a feed :lol:

I can't believe how quick he is gaining weight, I thought BF babies gained less? Tristan has gained soooooooooo much compared to my friends! He's gained 3lb since birth!! :shock:

My best buy - https://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/produ.../19863&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand I found Tristan was waking because he was cold and since putting him in these for bed with a grobag he is sleeping a bit better :)

Is anyone elses baby fighting sleep during the day but crying coz they are tired?

Admin said they didn't know the uploader was broken!

my best buy, well i didn't even buy them i got them on freecycle :rofl:
are muslin cloths!
seriously couldn't do without them!
i tuck one under my boob when feding to catch the drips and one to burp him with after, i usualy swaddle him in one to keep his arms out of the way for a feed, i lay him on one when hes sicky so his sheets dont get dirty, and i use them to be modest when out feeding! half of each losd of washing i do is muslin cloths :rofl:

hope everyones ok.
i got my period :( so gutted, cos i seemed to think i would be lucky like others and not have one for a year or a few months at least with me brestfeeding :( but no, a month. :cry:

BB- Athena does the same thing! She will stay up for 4-6 hours at a time and then just be so crabby cause she's so tired but she refuses to sleep. Although IO'm hoping it means she'll sleep better at night... FX

Loving all the best buys, keep em coming!

BB sorry to hear Tristan has reflux. If the gaviscon isn't agreeing with him you could try asking the doc for some Ranitadine as my 3 yr old had reflux when she was a baby and that's what she was on. Our niece had it too and although the gaviscon didn't agree with her either she was fine once she was on the ranitadine. It took some persuasion with the doc though as its the more expensive prescription apparently.

The lack of sleep in the day could be related to the reflux, I know Bella was v. unsettled in the day due to lack of sleep as although she'd fall asleep on me she'd always wake up shortly afterwards after being laid flat/put down so rarely got past 10 mins, let alone the 45 min transition into the deeper sleep needed to keep them settled. She'd then have a bad night as she'd be so overtired! I think the acid makes them feel uncomfortable and they don't like laying flat. Bella did have it quite bad though. Our niece was much less bothered by it and actually has been a dream baby compared to Bella! If you're having bad nights too though have you tried raising the moses basket/cot? I hope he settles soon. :hugs: Luckily Sophia doesn't seem to be showing signs of reflux just yet, touch wood!

xxx

Just a quick drop in to say hi to all and hope everyone is well x

Where is everyone?
Autumn started smiling yesterday on her 1 month birthday. Now she likes the attention it brings and does it all the time. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qRHSCm9-G0

I am here :) That video is lovely aurora, it's just amazing when they start smiling, my LO does it all the time now too and it's amazing every time :cloud9: xx

What a precious baby! Thanks for sharing your video! :)
Everyone's babies seem so teeny tiny compared to Rosalina! hehe

She looks tiny cause shes so long and lean! :mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back