~~++October Bumpkins 2012++~~

Where I am unless you are having the Downs serum test you aren't seen between 12 wk and 20 wk scans.

lovely scans!

Wow that is a long time! Here you see your Dr. every 4 weeks early on, then every two during late second tri/early third tri, then every week late in third tri until delivery. I thought that was pretty standard practice everywhere! But I guess I was wrong:dohh:

Wow that is a long time! Here you see your Dr. every 4 weeks early on, then every two during late second tri/early third tri, then every week late in third tri until delivery. I thought that was pretty standard practice everywhere! But I guess I was wrong:dohh:

Twinkie,

We take our healthcare system here for granted in the USA. We don't realize how superior it is to other countries. What surprised me the most about England was that in the early stages (I think 10 weeks) they don't even see a Dr. They see a mid-wife. 12 weeks is the first real exam and the first time they get to see their bean.

I would go crazy if I had to wait that long. I had bloods done at 6 weeks, my first scan at 7.5 weeks and first pre-natal appointment at 9 weeks with the doppler to hear the heartbeat. Just little assurances that things are progressing and going well. I am thankful for those opportunities!

Twinkie,

We take our healthcare system here for granted in the USA. We don't realize how superior it is to other countries. What surprised me the most about England was that in the early stages (I think 10 weeks) they don't even see a Dr. They see a mid-wife. 12 weeks is the first real exam and the first time they get to see their bean.

I would go crazy if I had to wait that long. I had bloods done at 6 weeks, my first scan at 7.5 weeks and first pre-natal appointment at 9 weeks with the doppler to hear the heartbeat. Just little assurances that things are progressing and going well. I am thankful for those opportunities!

Wow it sounds like you have a very good Dr.! Mine does't see patients until 10-12 weeks (so you can hear a heartbeat at your first appt) unless you have other problems. But since I had a MC last year, he did blood work and an early scan. Plus since I had bleeding I had two other early scans to make sure everything was progressing. The difference in Dr.'s is amazing.

Yep my first real sign that things were progressing well was the scan this week at 12 weeks. Thats pretty standard, had the same with DD... You're just left to wait and wonder!!

I'm on bare minimum midwife appointments this time round as its my second pregnancy (I've only had 2 healthy pregnancies so am not worth monioring)... between 20 and 28 weeks I'll see nobody at all!!!!

Over here they do keep an eye on any high risk pregnancies (overweight, underweight, health problems for mum or baby, previous losses, multiples, etc etc) with 2-4 weekly scans and regular consultant appointments, and everyone else who is low risk (as I am) just has the minimum...

The difference does mean pregnancy and birth is slightly less medicalised, for example our caesarian rates are lower (20% in UK vs 30% in US) and the quality of care does not depend on your health insurance. But it does mean we have fewer ultrasounds. However it would be difficult for me to have a hbac (home birth after section) in the US or Canada from what I've read.

Emsmum you'd think higher risk pregnancies would have more appts but I didn't even see my consultant last time, didn't have extra appts, did have early scan due to m/cs and endo pain though both with ds and this time.

Well, my scan went great yesterday! Got to hear the hearbeat for the first time and it was nice and fast. Sounded like galloping horses kind of. :flower:

The tech said everything looked perfectly normal from what she could tell. The lil bean wasn't moving a whole lot, a few twitches here and there, but more mellow than I remember DS being at that stage. I'll post a pic later if I get a chance. So relieved everything went well. Now on to that 20 week u/s! :happydance:

The difference does mean pregnancy and birth is slightly less medicalised, for example our caesarian rates are lower (20% in UK vs 30% in US) and the quality of care does not depend on your health insurance. But it does mean we have fewer ultrasounds. However it would be difficult for me to have a hbac (home birth after section) in the US or Canada from what I've read.

Emsmum you'd think higher risk pregnancies would have more appts but I didn't even see my consultant last time, didn't have extra appts, did have early scan due to m/cs and endo pain though both with ds and this time.

It would be difficult for you to have a home birth in general in the U.S. It is not a common practice hear (or at least where I live). As far a VBAC in general, that would depend on your Dr, some are willing to let women try others don't want to take the risk. The bigger problem with the U.S is not really the health insurance (most states have state run insurance that will cover pregnant women without insurance) but with the risk of lawsuits. If a birth has an undesirable outcome people are more likely to blame their health care providers. Lawsuits can be way out of control, so I think Dr.'s are more cautious to protect their practices. Just my opinion.

welcome RussianDoll. I've added you to the front page. Is this your first baby? Where are you from? Would it be obvious to say Russia?

annabelle, congrats on a successful 12 week scan!! That is great you got to hear the heartbeat! Glad everything is going well for you. :)

I'm due Oct 22nd :) had our first scan in March hoping to get a 12 week scan next week!

welcome RussianDoll. I've added you to the front page. Is this your first baby? Where are you from? Would it be obvious to say Russia?

Thank you :) And yes, this is my first baby! Haha, no, I'm from England! It's probably quite irrelevant but I'll add that I am 20 :)

Welcome Russiandoll :)

Congrats Annabelle - so exciting isn't it!

Girls I can't help but feel a bit worried. When I had my scan on Thurs, baby wouldn't move into the right position for the measurements (downs test) and after waiting and trying for a while the sonographer said she needed to give baby a little tap, so she like jabbed at my tummy with the probe quite hard. It was like a hit...I am now worrying it might have hurt baby :(

It was pretty sore afterwards. Do you think I'm worrying about nothing?

I have been out with Mum & Sister today and made some first purchases! Very exciting!!

x

It may have bruised you but baby is very well cushioned in there, there's your skin etc then waters to protect baby. It probably wasn't a very nice experience for baby but the sonographer does scans every day, they wouldn't have a job long if their practice put babies at risk. Hugs x

Girls I can't help but feel a bit worried. When I had my scan on Thurs, baby wouldn't move into the right position for the measurements (downs test) and after waiting and trying for a while the sonographer said she needed to give baby a little tap, so she like jabbed at my tummy with the probe quite hard. It was like a hit...I am now worrying it might have hurt baby :(

It was pretty sore afterwards. Do you think I'm worrying about nothing?

I have been out with Mum & Sister today and made some first purchases! Very exciting!!

x

I have never heard of that before! Did it help though with the scan? I don't think I would take kindly to that either. I just did a search on Google and other women have complained that their technician jabbed them hard in the stomach numerous times. So I guess it is accepted practice. I am glad to know this now though so I am prepared next week for my 12 week nuchal!

Thanks for the replies :)

Nope, baby was still very persistent and wouldn't budge! the thickest measurement she got was 1.2mm so she said it was nice and thin so hopefully no worries there.

I never thought to google it, I'll have a little look now. Thanks for looking!

DH is due home soon, I am dying to show him the cute little sleepsuits we bought today xx

:hi: ladies, can i join please?

Im expecting my 3rd on October 11th, had my 1st scan on Wed just gone which showed all seemed well. Looking forward to all the upcoming purchases - just need to find the funds now :haha:

xxx

Attachments

• 12+6 5.jpg
    12+6 5.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member