~~++October Bumpkins 2012++~~

That is one thing I love about this board! You get to see how other places do things. Fascinating! :)

It is neat to see the differences! So does a midwife deliver all you ladies in the uk? Or do you just get the on call OB at the hospital that day?
We have our family doc till about 28 weeks then OB. But your OB may not deliver you if they are not at the hospital when it's go time.

We are different here in the US. OB from the beginning up to birth. But like you in Canada, there is no guarantee your OB will be on call when you go into labor. With my practice there are 9 OB's and they encourage you rotate around during the monthly appointments so that you will have at least met the Dr. who will deliver your baby.

In the UK most of our care is through midwives, indeed for most women they only see midwives.
You have your community midwife who you see for regular appts (and possibly birth if you have a homebirth) but it will be different midwives in hospital where you deliver.

You see an OB if you have a higher risk pregnancy but last time I didn't even meet my consultant! I met one of the junior doctors.
Then when giving birth I was in the Obs unit rather than m/w led but it was still m/ws who looked after me until we had problems. Midwives did all stages of induction, monitored me and then called for the on call OB when ds hr went up.I don't even remember who the OB was that delivered DS! (Just asked DH and apparently it was a woman! More than I knew!!!)
I will meet my OB at 20wk appt, when we will discuss my plans for home birth after c-section. Fingers crossed they don't make it too difficult for me!

But for most women they will not meet an OB at any stage!

It varies across the UK but most hospitals (at least the two I have been to) have a main birthing unit which is equipped for all types of delivery and has options such as pathedine (sp?) and epidurals. There are usually a few OBs on standby in as well incase a delivery requires extra assistance.

There is also usually another section in the hospital which is either called a midwife led birth unit or a home from home unit. They have gas and air, water pools and in mine an indoor peace garden. They are for low risk pregnancies and women that want a more natural delivery, they are great because usually you can sleep in the room you give birth in with your partner privatly instead of transferring to the ward.

My first was delivered by an OB. I still remember he came in wearing his motorbike leathers and was drop deap gorgeous :blush:. and said 'Just came to see how you are getting on before I start my shift' as I had been in labour 48 hours by then and he was on shift earlier in my labour! He came in later (properly dressed) and delivered my son with a suction cap, as his heartrate was dropping.

My community midwives worked at a different hospital to the one I gave birth in... had I given birth in the 'other' hospital I could have ended up having one of them for the birth (I remember my lovely community midwife ringing me up at home after the birth to tell me she'd just delivered my friend's baby :D)

I actually didn't see anyone other than a midwife or nurse until I needed an episiotomy to deliver the baby!! Doctor made the cut, stayed for delivery then sewed me back up. That's all I saw of one whole pregnancy and labour!!

Over where I am in the North of the UK if its considered a non risky pregnancy you're just left in the care of community midwives.... For both of mine now I've had appointments with midwifes only in the local community and just 2 scans at hospital at 12 and 20 weeks. What is an Obgyn lol??

My community midwives worked at a different hospital to the one I gave birth in... had I given birth in the 'other' hospital I could have ended up having one of them for the birth (I remember my lovely community midwife ringing me up at home after the birth to tell me she'd just delivered my friend's baby :D)

I actually didn't see anyone other than a midwife or nurse until I needed an episiotomy to deliver the baby!! Doctor made the cut, stayed for delivery then sewed me back up. That's all I saw of one whole pregnancy and labour!!

Over where I am in the North of the UK if its considered a non risky pregnancy you're just left in the care of community midwives.... For both of mine now I've had appointments with midwifes only in the local community and just 2 scans at hospital at 12 and 20 weeks. What is an Obgyn lol??

Actually I tell a lie... he didn't actually deliver the baby the mw did that... all the dr did was make the cut and sew me back up!

I had the same midwife for all appts but then different midwives when giving birth. Funnily enough the midwife who delivered Henry remembered me (was only there 10 months before!) and she said "I sat down with you and discussed contraception before you left didn't I? You didn't believe me when I said you were most fertile in the first few weeks then?" and just laughed. She was lovely :)

This time I will see the same midwife all the way through AND she may be at the birthing unit I give birth at if she is on shift. (obviously if I become high risk then I'll have to be transferred to a consultant-based/main labour ward)

In the UK most of our care is through midwives, indeed for most women they only see midwives.
You have your community midwife who you see for regular appts (and possibly birth if you have a homebirth) but it will be different midwives in hospital where you deliver.

You see an OB if you have a higher risk pregnancy but last time I didn't even meet my consultant! I met one of the junior doctors.
Then when giving birth I was in the Obs unit rather than m/w led but it was still m/ws who looked after me until we had problems. Midwives did all stages of induction, monitored me and then called for the on call OB when ds hr went up.I don't even remember who the OB was that delivered DS! (Just asked DH and apparently it was a woman! More than I knew!!!)
I will meet my OB at 20wk appt, when we will discuss my plans for home birth after c-section. Fingers crossed they don't make it too difficult for me!

You are a brave woman. I was told that after a c section you shou wait till your child is 15 months to be pregnant again, and this would be acceptable for trying vbac. I would love to try for vbac but my son was 12 months when I got preggers so we shall see what they recommend. How old was yours when you found out? Wonder what they'll say.

You are a brave woman. I was told that after a c section you shou wait till your child is 15 months to be pregnant again, and this would be acceptable for trying vbac. I would love to try for vbac but my son was 12 months when I got preggers so we shall see what they recommend. How old was yours when you found out? Wonder what they'll say.

My son was only 6 months old when this lo was conceived. The most recent review of evidence indicates that the risk of uterine rupture in women who have had a c-section is much lower than previously thought. There is an increased risk if you have had more than one c-section or if there is less than 12 months since your c-section. DS will be 14/15 months when this baby arrives. Here's a link to the study. And an article in the Royal College of Midwives journal.
Understandably Obstetricians are concerned about the risk of this happening as the consequences can be dire. I will not undertake a hbac if there are any medical reasons not to and if baby is overdue and showing signs of distress then I will have an elective section but otherwise I am determined to birth this child myself (I just need to go into labour between 37 and 41 weeks to get my home birth!). There's a good thread in the labour and birth section on vbac with lots of links to information and resources as well as women who have succeeded in vbac! I was even told when in theatre that I should be able to vbac next time, don't think anyone expected it would be so soon though :lol:

dizzydoll, all the best to you on your scan tomorrow! Post pics! :)

Hi all :)

Good luck tomorrow dizzydoll! Post pics for us. :happydance:

All ok here I think. Had another listen with the doppler yesterday - I am going to use it every 3 days.

The midwife just called me and said that my urine sample that I did (when i went to my booking in app 10 days ago) shows I have a slight urinary infection. She said it was nothing to worry about, its common in early pregnany but they do want to treat it with antibiotics, so there will be a prescription at my doctors today for me to collect.
Is it definitely ok to take antibiotics whilst pregnant?? I'm worrying a bit now...

x

The midwife wouldn't prescribe them if they weren't safe hun. BUT, the best way to get rid of a urinary infection is cranberry juice. I got cystitis with Stephen when I was 14 weeks (and I didn't know at the time it could be dangerous to get them whilst pregnant) but I just drank loads and loads of cranberry juice and water to flush it out

I agree that cranberry works wonders. I had Cranberry pills (as most of them are mixed juices and even the 100% juice is loaded with sugar and can cause heartburn) with water, and ate lots of yogurt (helps restore your natural healthy bacteria). Antibiotics as with any meds would have a rating of A, B, C etc as all meds do to say if they are considered safe in pregnancy. A meaning studies prove it, B meaning no negative effects have generally been reported. I wouldn't take anything besides the two. Ask about the rating is when you pick up the script.

I had a UTI when I was pregnant with DS and had to take antibiotics, yes there are antibiotics that are safe to take during pregnancy and are commonly prescribed.

i had a stomach bug when i was 6wks. it was horrible i couldnt keep anything down or in the other way (Sorry TMI) i ended up having to go to the emergency room because it had been over 24hrs and i wasnt able to even keep fluids down. i was dehydrated so they gave me three 1000 mL bags of fluid. not fun at all. only good part about it was that was the 1st time i got to hear the babys HB.
Oh you poor, poor thing. It is such a worry isn't it? But such a relief when they say that the baby is absolutely fine. Pretty scary for the first time though!! I guess the worrying thing is the dehydration- which is what I found.
Glad that you are better now :)

yeah it was really scary. at first i thought it would just past but when it didnt i started panicing. yeah as soon as they said the baby was looking good it made my mind relax. thanx. how are you feeling lately?

In Ontario Canada it's the same for our 12 w scan. The testing is completed if you choose to have it. The earlier scan is our dating scan , generally in the 7-8 week stage. they usually won't change your dates based on later scans as I was told at my appointment babies tend to find their own growth rate past 11 to 12 weeks, so they have found the other is more accurate. They got my last pregnancy dated right on as I went into labor the day after my due date, but was measuring earlier based on later scans.

My doc said the same thing; that most babies grow at the same rate until just past 12 weeks, so they date you from the 8 week scan. Also, our ultrasound equipment is in my dr office, not an imaging place. Strange how different they all are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->