~~++October Bumpkins 2012++~~

Oh no, we're not thinking about hospital bag stage already are we? It's all going by so fast. I keep going through stages of denial that B-day is approaching in a matter of weeks! I can't quite believe it.

Okay, so here in Canada, hardly needed things. At the hospital they have towels, they have the stretchie panties/undies that are not about a fashion statement but they breath well and you don't care if you wreck em. If you bring your own 100% cotton is the rule.
As for other stuff small shampoo conditioner bottles, your preferred soap bar, Toothbrush and small toothpaste, whatever make up will make you feel human enough for some visitors. I wished last time if brought a portable large mirror, as getting to the washroom after c section wasn't allowed for a while. Comfy clothes are a must, I found my maternity track suit was all I wanted to wear. Now keep in mind it was winter. I wished I had brought cozy blanket and pillow, the hospital stuff sucked.
We brought way too much for baby, they supplied everything except clothes. (bottles, formula if needed, bath wash, vasoline, diapers, comb, etc) we came home with an excess.

So funny to see all the differences based on where you live. It could've diff here in Ontario from the other provinces as well, as we have OHIP cards that entitle us to a certain level of free healthcare. It provides ward (4ppl in one room coverage) but if you have insurance through work you generally have semi private or private coverage for room. You can always pay extra to upgrade if you wish, but it depends what is available.

I am not too worried about my hospital bag, because I am going to pack light (I am in the U.S.). Really the only thing I needed was a bath robe and slippers to wear during my stay (over my hospital gown), some clothes to come home in (I brought a maternity outfit (stretch pants and T shirt), my favorite brand toiletries, and baby coming home outfit and blanket. Pretty much the rest was provided. I would recommend a camera and some money for a vending maching and a good magazine or book, but there really isn't a need to over pack in the U.S.! you wear a hospital gown and baby wears the hospital tshirt during your stay...

Thanks for the heads up Twinkie! I figured in the US, most things would be supplied. I go to a birthing class at the hospital where I am giving birth in August. Included is what to pack in your hospital bag and a tour of the maternity ward. I am excited!!

I made my list yesterday for what I need to buy for my hospital bag! Looks like we are going shopping for more baby stuff at the weekend so I shall pick most of it up then!!

I booked myself in for a pregnancy massage on Saturday and cannot wait! I have a massive knot in my back at the mo so I'm hoping they can get rid of it!

My Dad saw his consultant yesterday and nothing has changed. The radiotherapy didn't work so it's just a matter of it taking it's course now. Fingers crossed everyone that he is here long enough to meet my little bubba!

Flutterly, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad and that the treatment didn't work. :( There isn't anything else they can do?

I know this is going to sound gross, but for the Mommy's already on this thread, is it true that when you give birth vaginally, you have a bowel movement too? You hear about it but does it happen more times than not or is it rare? My hubby keeps joking about it and I am hoping it doesn't happen to me!

when you're pushing, yes, sometimes your bowels can move. You're not terribly likely to be aware of it and the midwives are good at quietly cleaning it up. If you have a waterbirth the pools come with a sieve for poop scooping :lol:

Flutterly I am so sorry the treatment hasn't worked for your Dad. I can't think of a better incentive for him to keep going than the birth of your wee guy!

All is ok here. 28wk m/w appt went well. Measuring 3 weeks ahead but m/w fine with that. Iron count wasn't actually as bad as I thought so am cutting back on the tablets as they have horrible side effects. Homebirth is still definitely on the cards :D I love that I have such a positive, supportive m/w this time! Only downer atm is that my Mum is still in hospital (3 months now) as she was at this time last year :( She's getting out for the day to come to my son's first birthday party next weekend (just as she got out for the day to come see us when he was first born). But MS isn't a condition that goes away, we've lived with it for over 20 years and she's done well to keep as mobile and healthy as she had until recent years! Anyway off back to bed to see if I can get some more sleep, been awake since 530 but didn't get to sleep til almost 0100 so knackered!

Flutterly hope the incentive of his grandson keeps your dad strong. Enjoy your massage, sounds wonderful.

Leikela one of the first signs of labour is your body having a 'clear out' and eating anything is usually the furthest thing from your mind, so usually by the pushing stage there is very little left anyway. What does escape is discreatly cleared up :)

Fifi, so glad homebirth is still on the cards for you. Every time I am having a bath (when I get my peace time) I always think how nice a homebirth would be, my MW had one herself on her 3rd and is very postive about them. I am not 100%. The home from home unit is great and all the rooms are on suite with a pull out partner bed, plus you can stay in the room 24 hours after and so can your partner, not to mention in door peace garden and the best views in London :) so I am going to try and get there.

Aw Flutterly so sorry to hear about your dads treatment, I really hope he gets to see your Lo :hugs:

Fifi sorry to hear your mum is in hospital too.

18 days til my GTT :( not looking forward to it at all! :(

Hello all

just found this thread!

Due 15 October with first baby. I join third trimester on Monday and feel bit scare of what to come!

Hi Francisca, welcome over here!!

I've been in 3rd tri for a couple of weeks now and I promise you just get used to the chats about mucus plugs and labour!!! Give it time, it is scary at first but there are lots of us there that aren't at that stage!! I'll be looking out for you on Monday!!

Flutterly: I away for a week to relax before join, so will be there in 2 weeks. Glad to hear not all bad in there!!

Can feel baby really kick around now.... think he having a party in me!

Haha definitely feels like my bubs is having a party in my belly today. Lots of kicks and stretching :)

Mine loves having a party!!! Amazing how much my belly moves around now!!

We went and done more shopping today!! Got done cute bits along with necessities!! All in all very successful!!!

Glad all is well mostley around here girls and hope all your babas are getting very active now :)

All is ok here coming up to my dd 2nd birthay on thursday so getting everythink ready for that is keeping me busy i also have 28wk m/w apt on tuesday so looking forward to that and hearing babas heartbeat. Choosen my names now and sticking with Joshiem Shawn Miah for boy and Ayesha (think it will be anne) Miah for a girl so all is left now is to find a house, pack hosp bag and wait for bby haha. A friend of mine gave birth on friday with her 1st baby 5weeks early so was abit of a suprise haha mu and bby are doing well though apart from baby having trouble suckling on bottle :s All is good though.

Cathch up soon x

Hello all

just found this thread!

Due 15 October with first baby. I join third trimester on Monday and feel bit scare of what to come!

Hi Francisca, it's all moving on rapidly but exciting!!

Haha definitely feels like my bubs is having a party in my belly today. Lots of kicks and stretching :)

Mine loves having a party!!! Amazing how much my belly moves around now!!

We went and done more shopping today!! Got done cute bits along with necessities!! All in all very successful!!!

The party is a good way to describe it. Mine seems active when I'm asleep. Had a couple of dreams, one where I had an ultrasound and he was dancing like Michael Jackson and another where I bought him home after giving birth and he started crawling up the stairs!!

Anyone else watching 'One Born Every Minute'? I thought I would avoid it, but I am actually quite enjoying it. Husband has been cowering behind the sofa and occasionally saying 'Are you sure you want to watch this?' ....chicken :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->