October Pumpkins 2017

It is amazing how you ladies in the states have to do maternity leave! I couldn't imagine thinking about going back to work with a two or three month old! I am in Canada so I get the 12 month mat leave paid by the government at 55% of salary. Although it's actually just 55% of the salary up to 50000 I believe. So if you make more than that then you don't get 55% of your normal salary. Most companies do top off up to 100% at least for a few months, but I am not with a great school so I don't get the top up. At least I get to take the whole year off though!

Speaking of maternity leave, I found out some great news this week! I go on summer break from in July and August, and then I have to go back to work for just one week for the preparation days before students come, then I am officially on mat leave starting the 30th of August. I get the government benefits all the way until next August then, and then I plan on quitting my job so I won't go back or anything. Basically, it's like I get 14 months of at paid mat leave (July and August are full time pay, then on to the 55% government pay), with just one week (4 days) of work. Woohoo! Can't wait!!

I'm jealous of you ladies with so much leave! I'll have to take 2 weeks of pto, then get 4 weeks paid at 60%, then can take another 6 weeks with whatever pto I still have. The problem is, I'm part time and really have no pto, so I'll have barely any paycheck. Plus, my husband may be getting a new job and we'll have to move a couple hours away from here. His insurance would be more expensive than thru my employer, so I'd have to carry the insurance, which will take at least 25% of my check. Then we'll have to pay out of pocket for it when I'm on leave. And I'll have to commute the 2+ hours to work bc if I try to get a different job, I'll only get 6 weeks off for maternity leave, and that's just ridiculous and not doable.

MissYogi, which province are you in that your summers are paid? My mother & sister teach in BC (public school) and their summer months pay is "dispursed throughout the rest of the year." They're expected to save for the summer.

Had some weird cramping this morning. It woke me up, but it did so a minute before my alarm so I was mostly awake anyway. Not sure how work is gonna be today!

I'm in alberta. Most schools here just pay the regular salary throughout the summer as long as you are on a continuing contract.

One more sleep to goooo, gender scan at 12 tomorrow! Just waiting for them to say boy as every chinese pregnancy calendar but one has said girl :haha:
Everyone at work is guessing girl as well as my partner and mum so it's GOT TO be a boy 🙈 Lol
Keeping everything crossed for a girl :)

Boy am I glad to have moved to Canada!!! :D I still haven't inquired about the maternity leave policy my employer has, but I'm sure it will be better than what I would have received in the US.

I told my US team about the pregnancy this week, they were very supportive. I'm yet to tell the team I work with here in Canada - the program lead was in the US. I'd prefer to inform her in person on Monday. So hoping that goes well.

I finally found a lovely doctor here in Toronto. Prior to my 1st appointment with her we went in for a private scan just to make sure bub was ok post our move. At 15 weeks bub was super active and we could see him/her suck the thumb three different times. Bub was also trying to turn around! Camera shy like daddy! :D Attaching the latest pic. Though it was early (15 weeks) the technician tried to check the gender for us. We couldn't see much since bub was constantly moving, but he did point out three lines, which could mean girl. But my gut feeling still says boy, although secretly wishing for a baby girl! :D

Next diagnostic ultrasound is on May 13. 22 long days to go! We'll find out the gender then (19 weeks). Can't wait!

I'd love to be added to the facebook group too. Facebook is easier to access and post on.
Please add me https://www.facebook.com/PrathnaSamuel

Love reading all your posts ladies. So exciting and I can't believe most of us are in the 2nd trimester already!!!!! :happydance:

Attachments

• IMG_7441.jpg
    IMG_7441.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2
One more sleep to goooo, gender scan at 12 tomorrow! Just waiting for them to say boy as every chinese pregnancy calendar but one has said girl :haha:
Everyone at work is guessing girl as well as my partner and mum so it's GOT TO be a boy 🙈 Lol
Keeping everything crossed for a girl :)

Haha! Love how you're expecting the exact opposite of what is predicted. Hoping the same for myself too! Good luck tomorrow! :)

Thank you! I'll update everyone tomorrow 🙈

I find out what I'm having tomorrow :) We are very excited, we have a cute announcement that we are doing, and hope the other children cooperate! I have a feeling we have a little boy in my belly and we'll see! <3

PSamuel: Glad you got a scan to check on baby and ease any worries, sweet pic!

saraaa: So jealous! We still have over 4 weeks until we find out. Can't wait to see your update!

KitteyKat: Again, jealous but can't wait to see what you are having as well! So exciting :happydance:

As for maternity leave I had no idea it was that bad in the states in some places. I work from home so I plan to take off however long I need and/or work when baby is sleeping if I can't sleep or something. What I do is mainly just a lot of art stuff so no biggie. I'll be checking back tomorrow for some updates!

Good luck tomorrow Saraaa and Kittey!!! Saraaa I hope you get your girl :)
Kittey, since you have one of each, do you have a preference at all? I am excited to hear what you guys are having . Seems to be a lot of boys so far on this page so we will see if the trend continues or you start evening us out :D

I had my nuchal scan last weekend and mine did not go so well. So.... I opted to have my results after only the first part of the nuchal test. It's not as accurate and could cause false positives of Down syndrome. If the results came back with the limit, I would get the panorama testing done which is more accurate, tests for additional abnormalities and will tell gender. My results came back with a high probability of downs so I just went for the panoarama test and should have that back in 5-7 business days with conclusive results and a gender (if we decide to be told) It's not the results I wanted to hear but knew the chances were greater with it only based on the first part. My due date also changed from Oct 17 to Oct 12. I had thought Oct 14 based on O so it's closer now. I'm that much further along now. I turned 15 weeks on Thursday.

Good luck Sara and Kitteykat! I'm jealous as I won't be having my anatomy scan until Monday :(

Sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, Med but at least you're further along than what you thought. Hopefully the panoarama test comes back with better results :hugs:

I find out what I'm having tomorrow :) We are very excited, we have a cute announcement that we are doing, and hope the other children cooperate! I have a feeling we have a little boy in my belly and we'll see! <3

My announcement is tying pink/ blue balloons to each of our shoes and the babies shoes, got to take the balloons to my friend to fill with helium so she's quite excited as she'll be the first to know lol

Good luck today, Saraaa and Kittey!

Sorry, Med, I hope you get good news from the results of the panoarama test. :hugs:

Fingers crossed for you Med!
They couldn't get any measurements of our baby for the scan so I just had to have a quad blood test and have my results just based on that

It's a GIRL!!!!!
I nearly cried &#128584; 3 attempts with me having to go out and walk around I ended up buying some lucozade to wake her up and make her get off of her feet because she was sitting on them.
My son got to open the bag during the scan and pull out the pink booties!
I'm so happy!
https://i64.tinypic.com/2cnbo8k.jpg

https://i67.tinypic.com/163o7l.jpg

It's a GIRL!!!!!
I nearly cried &#128584; 3 attempts with me having to go out and walk around I ended up buying some lucozade to wake her up and make her get off of her feet because she was sitting on them.
My son got to open the bag during the scan and pull out the pink booties!
I'm so happy!
https://i64.tinypic.com/2cnbo8k.jpg

https://i67.tinypic.com/163o7l.jpg

Amazing!! Congratulations :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member