Oh gosh, lice?! Should I quit already?

Do you straighten your hair? I read that the heat kills nits and the eggs so if you somewhat regularly straightened your hair you'd probably be ok. I would never quit a job over that, I find lice disgusting but I don't have a fear of them. Curious to know what a traumatic experience with them would be like!!

aaand of course my head is itchy reading this thread!

Yes they actually aren't extremely common in the USA. At least if you are homeschooled you can go your whole life without getting them. I don't straighten but I do curl. I've been taking precautions like washing with tea tree oil before of after I babysit and then putting peppermint oil around the base of my scalp when I'm there since lice don't like that. I just smell minty fresh lol. The job is going well now. I think the girls lice is gone. :)

Yes they actually aren't extremely common in the USA. At least if you are homeschooled you can go your whole life without getting them. I don't straighten but I do curl. I've been taking precautions like washing with tea tree oil before of after I babysit and then putting peppermint oil around the base of my scalp when I'm there since lice don't like that. I just smell minty fresh lol. The job is going well now. I think the girls lice is gone. :)

Thats good :)

As soon as my DD started school I started washing her hair with vosene kids shampoo with natural head lice repellant in it (basically tea tree and lemon eucalyptus) paired with the detangling spray in the hope that this will actually stop her getting them and I use a nit comb every time I wash her hair. The school she goes to is notorious for head lice I've had letters home warning that someone has them 3 times in the 5 weeks she's been there. Instead of lice she has come home with worms which is worse! Thank god my doctor just wrote a prescription over the phone and she is now being treated! Sod's law isn't it lol

I just realised your in the USA. There was a lice thread a while back and members in the USA were not used to it at all! But in the UK it seems more common.

My sister and I never got lice, my parents never had lice and my DH and his family have never had lice. lol Maybe it really isn't common here (and I think I may ask my friends to see if they ever had it. It was never an issue in school and I went to public schools).

OP - I fear lice like cockroaches...actually probably worse. Never seen lice in my life (except pictures in books), but even the thought creeps me out. Hang in there, clean-clean-clean everything and just keep a watchful eye on the older boy if you have concerns. :hugs:

I grew up in Canada and I have never had headlice and only know a handful of people that have--it really Is not that common in north America. Now I am a nanny in the UK (6 years) and I was shocked in the beginning of how common it is! !!

Ive had it a couple of times. Im a teacher and i have my own children who are at school and it is quite common in schools. Its not a big deal. You just treat your hair and thats it. Its not the nicest thing but its not the worst either! Lice cant jump so if you keep your hair back and away from the children then you should be fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->