Oh.My.Goodness.

adzuki

Mom to Miss M.
Reaction score
Tonight I came home from working all day to a very excited, very drunk husband. He came up with the perfect name for our child, you see. He thought "Maya" would be lovely (I agree), and then told me that he found the perfect Japanese Characters for it. He excitedly told me that it has a balance score of 99points - it's very lucky!!!

The characters he came up with: Marijuana arrow.

I smiled, thanked him for doing so much work, and asked him how appropriate it would look for me, a drug and alcohol counsellor for youth, to name their child marijuana! I pointed out that here in British Columbia, Canada, we would be sentencing her to endless teasing and bullying. He insists that it is OK in Japan, as the marijuana plant was used for paper - for very official and important documents, like the announcement of the name of the baby. I told him that that is all good and well, but that our child is still 50% Canadian, and naming her "pot" would likely NOT be a good thing. Sigh.

Once again, I am the bad guy - I am a nagging, controlling b*tch. He's off sulking now. What the heck is wrong with him? Or is there something wrong with me? I am so irritated with him all the time, and I don't think it's just my own hormones - would you like to name your child "marijuana"???

GRRRRR. And why I get punished with a sulking husband is beyond me - I just want to kick him out until after the baby's born!

ARGH!

:(
A:hissy::hissy::hissy:

What the heck is wrong with him?

To sum it up, he's drunk. I bet in the cold light of day (and a hangover), he'll be different. A funny story for you to file away though!!! And Maya is a lovely name, shame about the characters!!!

I sympathise. My hubby wanted to call our baby after some players from his fave football team and then he decided that he wanted to call the baby Rock! I don't think so! Then it was Perry after the doctor in Scrubs. And yes he was drunk everytime he suggested these although for some reason he still wants Rock. In his dreams! x

Ahh he's drunk hon and just getting a bit carried away with his ideas. He'll see the funny side of it in the morning. x

Bless - lets hope he wakes up with a sore head ( to serve him right for sulking) and with his common sense restored! x

As others have said he's drunk and hopefully will see sense when he wakes up. Your not being unreasonable though as it wouldnt be fair on your child but i do think maya is a lovely name :hugs:

I sympathise. My hubby wanted to call our baby after some players from his fave football team and then he decided that he wanted to call the baby Rock! I don't think so! Then it was Perry after the doctor in Scrubs. And yes he was drunk everytime he suggested these although for some reason he still wants Rock. In his dreams! x

Lmao!!!

Thats the kind of name my wonderful dh would come back with.

I sympathise with you.
xxx

Maya is a wonderful name.... In Hindi (which is my huband's parent's first language) it would mean Dream... which is very fitting of a girl I think.

would everyone have to know about the characters?

We are thinking of calling ours Naya (if it is a girl).

hiya,
Maya is number one on our girls name list, so i think its a lovely name! but no, not marajuana.
although my husband today asked me if it was a boy, could we call him fred. (???)
xx

wtf?? drunken men eh? ask him his thoughts when he is sober

i love the name maya, although i totally agree with you on the pot idea.
gah men, when i suggested the name Alyssa my OH hated it, a week later he was like "what about Alyssa?" i kept schtum and agreed it was alovely name and tis now the one we settled on haha:happydance:

I can't help it: :rofl:

Who WOULD name their kid Marijuana?! Please, please find the humor in this story after it's all cooled down a bit.

I dont think i would be happy about that one but that was a really funny story :rofl:
my OH actually asked me (with a serious face and everything) if we could call our baby MORPHEOUS needless to say i said no!! I like Roman for a boy what do you think???

Hey Adzuki

Sorry as a fellow married to Japanese man having a bicultural baby I couldn't help but pitch in to the thread.

I know pretty much exactly which characters you are talking about - and I love the name Maya, it was on of the ones we thought of as well - but we are going with Sakura (yappari) very original I know.

There are plenty of lovely ma and ya characters out there. I personally think the name balance characters is a load of crap... although the ones we picked out. "to bloom" and "heart" are supposedly pretty balanced although they don't straight off read as Sakura.

When we were considering the "maya" name - we also considered Maia so we could use the "mau - dance" character and than an "a" character. Theres a lot of possibilities out there :)

Anyways sorry for butting on to your thread... my husband moved several prefectures away last weekend for a new job and I'm now "single" and pregnant and have way too much time on my hands.

Oh no, Sakura - how horrible! Are you going to get to join him, or are you stuck there??? I HATE the Japanese system of transfers - it can be so insensitive and frustrating!!!! I knew a lot of men who were separated from their families for the same reason - but never while the wife was pregnant!!

I like Maia too :) I like the fact that it means dream, goddess, mother, and water in different languages - for a part German, part Japanese, part Canadian baby, a name that fits in many cultures is perfect. I hope we can find characters that suit her!!!

In the cold light of day, my DH feels a bit chastised - the characters he picked are great for Japan (where they didn't have a history of smoking the stuff, but of using it for paper), but he came to realise that his baby is half Canadian - and from BC, apparently home of the world's best bud - so he finally understood why I would have a problem with it. Sigh.

I like Naya too - but my friend took that one ;) At least it's a girl - lots of Japanese girls names work in German and English, thankfully!

Thanks everyone for your support - my DH is going through a weird phase with the baby coming - sometimes I just want to smack him with a wet fish to wake him up!!!

:)

HUGS!!! Thanks again!

A

you could always convert it to Mary-Jane.

My Oh wanted to call our baby Loke if it was a boy. Imagine all the teasing for beeing loco. Loke is from norse mythology and he isn't exactly a saint either.

Is that the Norwegian version of Loki? Why why why would you call your baby Loki? It's like calling your little one Judas!

Mind you, Freya is a lovely name, and she was a bit of a slapper so ho-hum.

Adzuki - I'll be joining him after the first week of May (Countdown 5 weeks left)

Yup... gotta love Japan! ](*,)

Hope you guys pick out a great name for her!!

The cold light of day seems to work well here too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->