OH thinks we've gone overboard

I suppose maybe your husband is comparing it to what we got when we were children. When I was 3 I got a big blackboard on an easel and a doll that could laugh or cry from Santa. The only little bits that I got would have been chalk and a blackboard eraser. When I compare that to what S is getting this year; 3 superhero playsets, a car track set, a train set and a stocking with more superheroes, daleks, a cuddly toy and some extra Paw Patrol pups it seems utterly insane. But everything I got for S cost me an absolute fraction of my weekly income compared to what my parents spent on that doll and blackboard. The value of things has changed and if you know your son will love and get great use out of everything you got him then that's what matters, not how it compares to what we got as kids or what the kids down the road are getting.

My kids get a lot at Christmas (and birthdays) and we buy zero toys for them the rest of the year haha. I know others who buy stuff every month but not as much for Christmas or birthdays. I always shop the sales starting in October and I rarely pay full price for anything! I also have a large number of other kids that I buy for (12 this year!) though generally just one item. Still at $10-15 per kid it adds up so I have to be careful and keep a very close eye on the sales ads.

We're the same. We try to go all out for Christmas/birthday's for our kids because we don't get toys and electronics throughout the year.

We don't have many kids to buy for though other than ours this year as we aren't bothering with those who don't bother with us.

That's definitely not overboard, you should have seen the things I have got some years! That sounds like a perfect amount to me, he will love it and is a lucky boy!

I suppose maybe your husband is comparing it to what we got when we were children. When I was 3 I got a big blackboard on an easel and a doll that could laugh or cry from Santa. The only little bits that I got would have been chalk and a blackboard eraser. When I compare that to what S is getting this year; 3 superhero playsets, a car track set, a train set and a stocking with more superheroes, daleks, a cuddly toy and some extra Paw Patrol pups it seems utterly insane. But everything I got for S cost me an absolute fraction of my weekly income compared to what my parents spent on that doll and blackboard. The value of things has changed and if you know your son will love and get great use out of everything you got him then that's what matters, not how it compares to what we got as kids or what the kids down the road are getting.

Definetly the cost of kids toys are much cheaper compared to income than when we were kids. Which in turn was much cheaper than when our parents were little.

My mum almost 70, recalls breaking her china / ceramic dolls face (doll that was played with rather than a sit on shelf type doll). Her mum (my gran) and aunt SPLIT for Christmas and got her one of the first "rubber" dolls to come on the market.
Now you can buy a basic rubber / plastic doll for £10. I can't imagine many wee girls just getting a basic doll for Christmas.

That doesn't look like too much to me at all. I'd give it all to him, and tell your DH to stop being a scrooge! LOL!

Definitely not too much! I personally think some people on here do buy too much (in terms of what my children would feel was too much maybe not their own) this is totally fine amount

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->