"Oh... what if you named her ____" *baby name rant*

Miss Ashley

Reaction score
Ugh, I just found out my little girl is indeed a little girl and so of course now people have been asking about names. We're naming her Bennet Julietta... and of COURSE I knew when I chose this name that certain people were going to have things to say about it... I just didn't realize it would irritate me this much.

I've already gotten things like:

"Oh... you know that's typically a boy's name, right?"
"What if you named her Bennetta?"
"What if you used that name for your next baby, if it's a boy?"

Well of COURSE I know it's typically a boy's name and no, I'm not adding an "a" to the end so I can conform to what society apparently thinks is appropriate for females.

Has anyone else been dealing with anything similar yet?

I am sorry that is happening to you. It is so insensitive. This is why my husband and I have decided to keep the name quiet until the birth. Much harder for someone to judge with the baby sitting right there.

I really like it!!! V nice! people can be ridiculous! Ive had the same,looove deacon for a boy(found out its a girl yesterday;-) ) and the amount of people that said "naa, dont like that at all" really,i dont care,me an oh love it!! Xxxx

I actually really like it. And I know what you mean about people opening their big mouths. Were naming our son Rylan (which my mom won't stop saying is a girls name-I don't see how) John Martin (two middle names). Lots of people have said they don't like Rylan John Martin.. I guess its good it isn't their kid.

We're naming our baby boy, Grayson. My aunt came right out and told me she didn't like it. She did the same with our first, a girl. We named her Madalyn. Some people are just socially ********.

Oh i hear you. We've thrown a couple names out there when family has asked and really only gotten a positive response to one of them, and that one isn't the top of the list. They all (mom, MIL & sisters) ask, we throw out a name and then get bombarded with "well how about ----?" lol oi vay. Their no response to the name we just said is obvious they dont like when they start suggesting others!! I can't be mad though cause I know they are just excited for us and OH and i can be a little eccentric. I am only slightly miffed at one name i originally loved, Talia, that my mom kind of ruined for me cuz she works at a school and a teacher told her she hated that name cuz all she thinks of is "gene-talia" and now thats all my mom hears when she hears that name. Otherwise, whatever. We're most likely not going to say what the choice is going to be, we'll just keep it "oh maybe this, maybe that...". OH thinks we should write her name in the thank you cards for our gifts from our shower but i said no way jose, that leaves thirteen weeks of ppl giving us their opinions about it haha, we'll write it on the birth announcements!

I really like the name! It reminds me Pride and Prejudice, which just happens to be one of my very favorite books (and movies)! :flower:

If we end up with a boy, one of his middle names will Errol. You should see the looks we get when we tell people that! I just laugh. There's a perfectly good reason we would name a boy Errol, and if the person looking at us strangely knew why, they wouldn't look at us like that. :thumbup:

DH and I are deciding between 2 names, and I swear it has started WWIII in our families!! Some people are strongly on one, side, some on the other. Oh well, can't please everyone! As long as you love it, that's all that matters. :)

To be honest, I think you should consider what your friends said. Having a boy's name when you're a girl is a pain. My husband has a typical french canadian boy name. However, here in the USA, they pronounce it like it's a girl's name. It's so annoying. Every time someone who don't know us calls us, they ask for Miss X and we have to explain that's it's actually Mister X. Granted, it wasn't its parents' fault because we don't have that problem in Quebec. But you are aware of the potential future problems with her name. Would you really want her to go through that all the time just because you like that name so much?

The hell with them. The name isn't my cup of tea, personally. But neither is thename Freya & I know about six people who named their daughters Freya in the last two years. To each their own. You like the name, that's what matters.

People are ridiculous, and obviously think fi they say it enough, you'll conform.

I think it's a beautiful name!

Sorry that you've had to listen to other's opinions... it seems people always want to share their opinion on baby names, even when their opinion is unwanted!!

DH and I are 90% sure we've selected the name for our son and we are keeping it a secret until he is born for this reason. Friends and family already know he is a he so we are just saying we want there to be a bit of a reveal left over but yeah a lot of it is because we like the name and that is all that matters. Once you've named the child and it is a done deal I think that most people will be civil enough to keep their mouths shut if they don't like it whereas at this stage some might think we should care what they think LOL.

The name is lovely if you think it is lovely and that is all that matters.

It's a secret here too...for exactly this reason. People are so opinionated and ridiculous.

Most people don't like our name choice either :( We are having a boy & naming him 'Lincoln Isaac'. I have heard comments like "After the president?", that sounds like a "black" name (really people????), that is a car brand......the list goes on & on :( People are so rude!!

I like Bennet!! Im trying to think of an original name for our little one (not celebrity original like 'apple'.....just something that is a bit different, so there wont be 5 others in his/her class!)....and everything i come up with my mum says "hmmm.....keeping trying". Im sorry, what!? Who's baby is this?? At the end of the day I dont give a toss what others think, so long as DH and I agree. I've tried really hard not to go around telling people my ideas (as this just invites critisism), but when they ask me outright, I just cant help it!

mjvdec01 and tryinfor1 - those are both names that were at the top of my list !!! I love them, but DH isnt so sure.

The decision is yours! It probably won't be the last time that someone has that reaction, but people will have a problem with just about any name. You can't please everyone!!! Besides, there are LOTS of names becoming unisex now that weren't 20 years ago. I know a family with 3 sisters who have kids named Sam, Elliot, Noah, and Charlie--ALL girls! They are all precious and their names fit them perfectly. Weston was the name at the top of my list, and luckily DH liked it too and that's the one we picked. We didn't tell anyone which names we were deciding between...only the one we chose in the end. The way I feel is that they can like it or hate it, I honestly don't care lol. This is our child and we certainly have the right to pick any name we want. We have had mixed reactions. My grandma's was the best...she is almost 90 years old and said, "what??? that's a last name!" Ahh well, like I said, can't please everyone!!! ;)

I like Bennet!! Im trying to think of an original name for our little one (not celebrity original like 'apple'.....just something that is a bit different, so there wont be 5 others in his/her class!)....and everything i come up with my mum says "hmmm.....keeping trying". Im sorry, what!? Who's baby is this?? At the end of the day I dont give a toss what others think, so long as DH and I agree. I've tried really hard not to go around telling people my ideas (as this just invites critisism), but when they ask me outright, I just cant help it!

mjvdec01 and tryinfor1 - those are both names that were at the top of my list !!! I love them, but DH isnt so sure.

That's really what I was going for...I didn't want a super common name, but not MoonStar or something way out there lol

I think bennetts a great name.
Everyone on here tell's me our boys name is a girls name, but in Australia Beau is strictly a boys name i've never met a girl called Beau.

Really it comes down to the point she's your daughter and you'll name.her what you like!

Beau was on my shortlist for our little boy... love that name.

We are naming our lo Colley (after my maiden name). Dh's family can't stand me keeping my maiden name in the picture. An aunt said seriously is that what you are naming her or are you just joking! Ugh! I love the name bennet. Go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->