OK, so how does it work when insurance deem car BER??

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
I got a call this evening to say that my car is Beyond Economic Repair and they want the courtesy car back. I asked and the garage says that usually they arrange for a salvage to take the car away.

I also cannot find my policy docs! I had them printed off as they are ones you access online, but now I cannot find them anywhere!!!! I have searched every single file in the house and no where, and so currently have it searching the pc for the electronic ones and have requested a copy to.

I think I had it for 3k, but then the damage is 2.5k and its BER....

So i am panicking.....OH needs me to drive him to get the bus to work still, if I have no car I cant get out to see cars - I have no one that can take me car shopping as I would have 2 kids in tow.

How does it usually work???? How long do they take to give you the money.....I'm in a cold sweat im panicking that much :( Its not like I can go anywhere easily, there are only 5 buses a day here, and the last one home is at 6:30pm.

Sorry to hear that :flower: Have you phoned your insurance company? When my car was written off we had a book price offer within a few days.

Hope it all gets sorted soon :hugs:

xx

Hi! I work for an insurance co and spent most of today with total losses actually lol.

Time wise each company is different I would recommend you gather the required documents and send them off as soon as you can. Send them recorded delivery so you can track them.

Keep pestering your insurance company....generally if we have someone who calls a lot chasing we tend to hurry things a long a bit quicker.

Hope things get resolved quickly for you

:)

PS if you haven't already call your insurance co to discuss the next steps (from what I gather only your garage told you it's BER?)

Phone the insurance company ASAP and start pestering them

I did but they shut at 6pm and I only got call from garage at 5:50pm. It was the insurers garage that took and assessed the car.. Im just really worried about now being stuck in the middle of no where with no car - OH can get bus to his mates then stay there over night for work etc. but I am stuck here. I can get to the nearest town, but thats it. They do have a car sales place mind.

We have NO money though, and so if they offer is like a couple hundred like mt mate reckons we are screwed! Thats not going to get us anything lie what we had! :(

My sister is on at me to claim for all expences........she recons I can - but cant say who or who to ask, she thinks I should just demand it ............thats not in my nature.

I just checked and the parkers value is 1.8k, thats poor and minus my excess of 350 would give about 1500.......:(......

What are the accident circumstances? If it's your fault you are very unlikely to recover any of your expenses.

I'd get on to the insurance co first thing to find out exactly what they require. Out of curiosity who are you insured with?

Hi! I work for an insurance co and spent most of today with total losses actually lol.

Time wise each company is different I would recommend you gather the required documents and send them off as soon as you can. Send them recorded delivery so you can track them.

Keep pestering your insurance company....generally if we have someone who calls a lot chasing we tend to hurry things a long a bit quicker.

Am I likely to get back anything near what it would cost to replace the car with one the same? I have looked and to get the same car, 20k less miles is 3k. I cant find one with the same miles as mine.

Am I likely to get back anything near what it would cost to replace the car with one the same? I have looked and to get the same car, 20k less miles is 3k. I cant find one with the same miles as mine.

The way we work is the value is based on what the glasses guide states the current market value is. If a customer isn't happy with the valuation they can ask for the vehicle to be revalued based on like for like vehicles advertised on auto trader etc. Keep the examples of vehicles you've found in case in case you aren't happy with the offer made.

What are the accident circumstances? If it's your fault you are very unlikely to recover any of your expenses.

I'd get on to the insurance co first thing to find out exactly what they require. Out of curiosity who are you insured with?

I was in left lane exiting a round about at intermediate junction, the van that was to my right wanted to go that exit to and took bumper with it. It was a one lane exit and he wasn't indicating. Insurance have said its usually 50/50 on roundabout. Local pub has CCTV on that roundabout and I have an independent witness. but until i speak to the insurance I do not know what's happening :(.

I am with Auto direct, who it seems are Highway and underwritten by LV.

The way we work is the value is based on what the glasses guide states the current market value is. If a customer isn't happy with the valuation they can ask for the vehicle to be revalued based on like for like vehicles advertised on auto trader etc. Keep the examples of vehicles you've found in case in case you aren't happy with the offer made.

I have a good few now, in fact they are for more than the amount the insurance out it at.they put it at 3015 based on my reg. Its look like 3-4k for one with same milage at same age etc.

:hugs: I don't know a lot about insurance and stuff but I hope you's get car soon :hugs:

I had a write off 3 years ago. Car was worth 10k, 13k damage bill and got 9 1/2k, despite arguing the new tyres, new exhaust etc. It was a slog - I was at no fault as well. It took 3 months to settle the money and hire car went back the week before we went and viewed a new car. In the meantime, I hired a car from Hertz as hubby was in Portsmouth working and I was on maternity leave and needed a set of wheels. We tried to claim for the inconvenience for that too but got told to go jump effectively. It should happen fairly quickly but keep on at your insurance, they can be slack.

I had a write off 3 years ago. Car was worth 10k, 13k damage bill and got 9 1/2k, despite arguing the new tyres, new exhaust etc. It was a slog - I was at no fault as well. It took 3 months to settle the money and hire car went back the week before we went and viewed a new car. In the meantime, I hired a car from Hertz as hubby was in Portsmouth working and I was on maternity leave and needed a set of wheels. We tried to claim for the inconvenience for that too but got told to go jump effectively. It should happen fairly quickly but keep on at your insurance, they can be slack.

im hoping it doesnt take that long, but my insurance policy is actually up on 18th dec, so they will most likely not care, and the other party will poss be smart and try delay tactics - it was a company driver. ive got thing on that i have to drive do :(, like DD panto trip, her nursery, gymnastics and of course xmas! and if oh has to work late then traffic is bad he wont get home if the bud is delayed as only 15 mins from the bus from his work to last bus home :(.

imhoping my dad will buy something then once we get ££ i can pay him back - but technically this car was his car as i was repaying him for buying it :(.

this teamed with no oil, no hot water ate hot water tank leaking is pushing me o really want to sell and move back to town:(

Deep breaths, these things all happen at once I find!

Make a list of things you need now and in priority order.

Is a hire car possible for you? Seriously think about it, if it's something that will just help reduce the level of stress, it's worth doing. Even if it's just something 1l job, it's 4 wheels and will go, that's all you need in the meantime to keep life ticking along. As for the 18th lapsing, I'd be on their backs every day for an update in that case. The accident happened under your policy so they will have to sort it out. I'd switched suppliers 4 months after mine and they were still dealing with the legal side 5 months after that!

As for the oil and hot water, is this something that can be resolved soon? Do you have any fan heaters? Do you have lots of saucepans to keep boiling? Hot water bottles etc?

Hugs

I had a brand new (less than 3 months old) car written off when somebody drove in the back of me at traffic lights. It was a company car but for a very small business. The original insurance offer was a joke (45% less than my boss had paid new) - we searched lists and lists of the same spec car and couldn't find anything near that price. We presented the evidence to the insurers and got about 75% of original value back.

I had a brand new (less than 3 months old) car written off when somebody drove in the back of me at traffic lights. It was a company car but for a very small business. The original insurance offer was a joke (45% less than my boss had paid new) - we searched lists and lists of the same spec car and couldn't find anything near that price. We presented the evidence to the insurers and got about 75% of original value back.

The company should have taken gap insurance to cover themselves in this situation. When you bring a new car off the forecourt depreciation means it is instantly worth a lot less than before you drove it off that forecourt. Gap insurance is designed to cover it

The company should have taken gap insurance to cover themselves in this situation. When you bring a new car off the forecourt depreciation means it is instantly worth a lot less than before you drove it off that forecourt. Gap insurance is designed to cover it

Maybe they should maybe not - I certainly wouldn't. they got a good deal on the new car but were equally prepared to buy nearly new if they'd found the right deal. They knew they would take a depreciation hit but that hit should enable them to buy a replacement of the same age/milagr/condition which the revised amount did, the insurers were just trying it on initially.

Maybe they should maybe not - I certainly wouldn't. they got a good deal on the new car but were equally prepared to buy nearly new if they'd found the right deal. They knew they would take a depreciation hit but that hit should enable them to buy a replacement of the same age/milagr/condition which the revised amount did, the insurers were just trying it on initially.

Idk? The insures pay the value if the car at the time which is always significantly less than what the buyer has just paid for it brand new. That's what gap insurance is for, to bridge that gap in the event of a write off, I would always take it.

Idk? The insures pay the value if the car at the time which is always significantly less than what the buyer has just paid for it brand new. That's what gap insurance is for, to bridge that gap in the event of a write off, I would always take it.

This.

Definitely worth taking GAP insurance.

OP how is your claim going?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back