ok so who wants to get pregnant in 2011? (closed group)

we're doing BLW rather than a mix of puree and finger foods, but I don't intend to let him have anything until he's 6 months at least. He'd eat stuff now if I let him though! lol! But his gut isn't matured that much yet, so he has to wait. I'm quite excited about it though, it'll be fun to let him have solids too!!! hehe.

I have no idea what to let him have....I am terrified of babies choking. I do think maybe i'll do a combination. For example, while out and about, bring some mushed up baby food. Not exactly puree maybe, but more mushed up than the solid form. I do like BLW and the way that using those muscles for chewing earlier can help them speak and may prevent choking in toddler years. Its just scary to give a carrot stick to a baby!

......why do we always have 2 people viewing this thread at all times. 1 member and 1 guest? Its seriously like every time that im in here. Just think its strange.

Haha Nikki - only me viewing it at the moment. But ya I've seen a guest viewing it lots of times too.

We're going to do BLW too. Don't know if we'll introduce any spoon foods until she can hold the spoon herself. When she can sit unaided and is showing an interest in food we'll start - not using 6 months as a hard and fast rule.

Nikki babies often gag when eating food but that's to prevent them choking as their gag reflex is triggered quite far up the tongue. It teaches them to chew before they swallow. It's scary to watch but they aren't actually choking.

ETA: Though we posted at the same time I must have started viewing before Amy cause it just showed me viewing. And still just me viewing now lol.

Interesting about the gag reflex in babies. So at 6 months will you start the BLW or when does that happen and with what kind of food?

I don't understand when it says 2 people viewing and then I can only see 1 person...always a guest. What guesT?

People don't need to be logged in to view this thread. As it's not in the journals section. So it could be a BnB member who hasn't logged in, also search engine 'spiders' (kinda like an automated program) scan through sites to gather info so that they can respond better to people's questions on search engines and they would appear as a guest. Or it could be someone not yet a member of BnB who's googled something like 'how does IVF work' or anything pregnancy/baby related that may trigger one of our posts to display in the search results.

Re weaning. I'm not thinking about it yet. With Lottie we started with purees from 5 months and introducing slowly... we introduced everything we possibly could to her, all purees home made by me and frozen in portions etc etc. By 6 months we introduced meats into her diet and within a month or two she was eating finger food well!

I'm happy with the way we did it because she eats anything!!! She likes all starches, will eat potatoes in any form, rice, bread, cous cous is one of her favourites. She likes all meats and loves fish (so long as it's NOT breaded) her fav is salmon. She'll eat all vegetables apart from mushrooms and loves her fruit. Though some days she'll finish a punnet of blueberries if I let her and others he wont want to touch them! :rofl:

I understand the benefits of doing BLW and I know why people do it, but all my friends who have done it now have 3 year olds that are picky eaters. One Mum.. bless her... is pulling her hair out trying to get her child to eat what she gives him. PLease don't think I'm saying that all BLW kids will respond like this... I'm not at all... I just don't think that one way is better than the other and I think it's down to personal preference and what works best for you as a family. A varied diet full of healthy nutritious food is what the baby needs and however they get that doesn't really matter! As far as I'm concerned! :thumbup:

Absolutely Mummy. I think some kids are just picky eaters. I know picky eaters who have been weaned traditionally and with BLW. I like the idea of just letting Sara eat on her own while we're eating and not have to sit there for ages with the spoon :haha:

Nikki, 6 months is generally when the gut is mature which is why its the current recommended weaning age. But with BLW its important that the baby be able to sit unaided (choking hazard if they have to be supported) and that they be showing an interest in food. Obviously theyre not going to gnaw on what you give them if they don't care about grabbing for food yet :haha:

As for what, thats entirely up to you. Some people go fir raw or lightly steamed fruits and veggies first, others go straight to porrions of their food (with no salt). Generally though anything with a "handle" is good.

Re weaning, when gemma wasnt taking enough milk and not gaining weight, her neonatologist, mind you, asked us to try rice pudding to start with and this was at the end of her 4th month, starting on the first week of the fifth, i was shocked, but i tried to follow his advice, and tried it when she was 5months and 2 weeks, she hated it and was screaming so we stopped immediately and didnt give her any more afterward.

i was thinking six months too, and though she is premature, the doc treats her as a normal baby and asks us not to compare too much.

stupid question as maybe i am unaware, but what is BLW? lol

BLW = baby led weaning

You give the baby pieces of food and they feed themselves (that's the short explanation)

hi everyone, just popping on quickly as I wont be on for a while. my dogs had a bad fight on wednesday and I tried to help and injured my finger quite badly, it was really traumatic. Im in a lot of pain and have to go for reconstructive surgery in a week. cant believe this has happened to me while pregnant, and Im only taking tylenol as I refused the percocet even though they said it was ok. its not good, but I dont want to go into details. I havent told any of my family or people on FB so please dont mention anything on there. inlaws have been great, but it was a lot to take in and so didnt mention the pregnancy as well. oh and got a $3500 vet bill. hubby has been unbelievable, just amazing. the ER doctor said that what happened wouldnt effect my pregnancy at all but I still wonder if bub has survived the trauma. but the pain of my finger has taken over everything else and so Im just hoping for the best and just need to get this fixed. anyway just wanted to explain why Im not on here xxx

:shock:

Oh my word!

Sarah honey I'm so sorry :( I hope that your finger is better soon and that the pain eases. I hope your dogs are okay! Dog fights are heartbreaking. I've dealt with three... one where I got bitten one where my brother got bitten and one where our dog was badly hurt by a neighbours dog.

:( It's not nice at all!

I really hope things improve and that you're back on here with us soon, but completely understand that you have other priorities. You know where we are... so take care honey! :hugs:

Oh my Sarah! How awful and scary! If your finger needs reconstructuve surgery it sounds like you're very lucky it was just your finger.
Take it easy, your bean doesnt need any more trauma.:hugs:

omg Sarah!!! :hugs: hun. I'm sure baby is fine in there, you worry about looking after yourself and don't worry about us! :( :hugs:

wow sarah that sounds hectic!
Good luck with the surgery and I hope all gets better soon :hugs:
re bubs and surgery, if it's any consolation I had general anaesthetic when 13 weeks pg to get the stitch put in and logan was still fine. So there are anaesthetics that can be used safely when pg.

Oh my god sarah !!! Im so sorry :hugs: it must have been very traumatic for you :hugs:

Please take rest and your bean will be surely fine, although i know youre worried xxx please dont bother about coming on here, please take care of yourself. xxx :hugs:

hope your pain eases soon xxx

quick question for those of you who made your own wraps (i think that's ndh and flying) - how much fabric did you buy (how wide, how long)? Did you then just edge it? Is it jsut one loooong rectangle? And what type of fabric?

I'm kind of maybe interested in trying a wrap, but not really sure it's for me and really don't want to spend the kind of money necessary to buy one. So i'm contemplating just making one (or really just buying a long strip of fabric and trying that).

Huggles i had bought like 8m of linen years ago so i used that. I made mine 4.2m long as thats the most comnon wrap length. Not sure how wide the fabric was but prob 140cm. I then cut it in half lengthwise and had two wraps. Overlocked them (nearly overheated SILs serger numerous times lol) and done! I ised linen as thas what i had. I would recommend using a gauze type fabric. Anything really though that has just a bit of diagonal only stretch should work.

So i spent today in hospital after Saranna had a seizure :( Shes totally fine and only had the one lasting 30 seconds. We have to get tests done in the next few weeks but was told its likely "normal" baby behaviour she'll grow out of. Hoping so and that it was an isolated incident it was scary to watch. (For tge record it was not febrile convulsuiins she had no fever. ) it was a simple tonic seizure with eye deviations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->