ok so who wants to get pregnant in 2011? (closed group)

Pretthi -- We use disposables too. :) Right now we are in just a diaper after our first solid food poo this morning. But it's been raining all day so I want to make sure we aren't going to lose power during her bath.

Great demo NDH!

Sarah- I would personally go for your scan at 18 weeks and if you need another at 20, oh darn. lol. I am not patient.

I don't use any flushable liners because they were said that they could be reused and washed in the washing machine if only pee...so I was thinking I didn't want to flush something that could survive the washing machine.

What I do is use fleece liners so if He poops and it was something i don't want to deal with, I throw it away. Since I used cheap fleece and cut up a bunch of them I don't care if it gets thrown. But then his pee and easy poops I just wash the liner. I've actually never thrown a liner away yet.

LOL at North Americans and our big poops. hahaha. so gross!

I dont really know when the whole movement thing started...im not good at remembering exacts like that! It will happen. Lol. Then at the end you'll pray for one night that you aren't being attacked from the inside.

ooops, skipped a page.

Sarah- re wipes etc. I just started using the cloth wipes a month ago and like them. I don't use them for poop though, I use Huggies disposables. Which is a pain because I have a cloth diaper on, so need to grab a small shopping bag and have that for the wipes to throw in. Kinda stupid, but it works. Yes, changing pad that is covered and get a few different covers for it as you'll be changing it often. We have a cover and then waterproof pads on it like this but I think they're Carters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1B74AM5HMGFJRNFWWC6A. So sometimes when he poops and pees we can just take that off and put another one down and the cloth changing pad cover didn't get touched. Here's a changing pad cover https://www.google.com/products/cat...5eyHJL-8ASWiZnmCQ&ved=0CJABEPMCMAI#ps-sellers

For butt cream- if you use cloth you can't use normal cremes. I bought CJ's butter in Vanilla cake the other day and like it. This is ok for using on cloth diapers. https://www.cjsuniqueboutique.com/?p=327

I didn't get a wipes warmer and our wipes are freezing. Lol. Yes, I feel bad, but I just didn't want to train him to like them warmed and then get more pissed when out in public and I don't have them all toasty. I hold in my hand if they're extra cold.

ok so now I feel very educated about cloth diapers and my choices thanks to you all Im ready to move onto the next subject :haha::

breastfeeding, bottles etc.
I plan on breastfeeding, but I have no idea about it apart from baby on boob :haha:. I know some people pump, and so then you need a pump and bottles and bottle cleaner? Ive heard of people not pumping and doing breast only, but how do you know if you need bottles etc.. Any help appreciated :wacko:

I will need to write a list of topics I need to learn about: what else will I be needing to know about before bub gets here, what will I need to buy. One other topic will be clothes....what will I need for first few weeks apart from onesies.

ha bet you didnt realize I was this clueless. thank you for all your advice :flower:

I don't pump, but I don't go anywhere without her (except maybe a quick grocery shop) so haven't felt the need. If you plan to work outside the home though it would be a good idea to start pumping early to build up a stash in the freezer. Or if hubby wants to feed bub as well. Some people pump enough for one feed a day and let their partners give a bottle before bed for example. If you pump (well more if you replace feeds with pumped milk) you will have to be careful that your supply doesn't go down as pumps aren't as effective at stimulating supply.
I can be on the cheerleading squad if you breastfeed (its hard without a good support system) but i'm afraid i'm useless at anything related to expressing or bottlefeeding.

Kellymom.com and the breastfeeding section of the forum are great sources of information though. And you can go to LLL meetings while pregnant and get a support system and advice etc prior to the birth too if you wish.

i wont be working out of the home, so will probably be with bub most of the time. I quite like the idea of hubby being able to feed him/her though. If I did one pump per day so he could feed but BF the rest of the day could that interfere with the supply?

ive heard things like bub hating or liking the bottle over the breast...so does that create problems too? do people feel its best not to pump for this reason?

I know my MW will give me lots of support, will have to ask her next visit.

Some people choose to wait a couple weeks before introducing a bottle or pacifier, but i don't know how much it really matters. Will let those more knowledgeable than I answer though :flower: Sara has never had a bottle, but she's had a pacifier from 7 days old with no problems.

Kristin was doing better with bottles, never great, but now just plays with them more than anything. You will need bottles if you ever plan to leave her for more than a trip to the grocery store. I attach the Lanisoh milk storage bottles to my Medela Swing pump. They also have a hole in the middle of the ring so you can just add a standard nipple after removing the middle part that keeps it from leaking. My pumped milk went into Lanisoh storage bags frozen flat in the freezer. I have this bottle cleaner... I have a bottle sterilizer but have never used it. I read that once bottles, nipples and pacis are boiled they just need to be washed with soap and water as long as you aren't using well water. I do use Quick Steam bags (Medela) for my pump parts when I do pump.

Re bottle feeding, it is also useful for during weekends if your really tired and want to have a lie in in the morning, hubby can do feeds for you, and that makes them feel involved too.. bottle expressing does not necessarily mean your supply goes down because at the end of the day, the more you express/ feed, your supply keeps coming in. i was told to sterilize her bottles until the age of 1 yr to avoid any sort of bacteria or infections. you can use a sterilizer, ( https://download.p4c.philips.com/files/s/scf285_01/scf285_01_pss_aen.pdf

the link shows you a new sterilizer by philips, i use the older one, this wasnt there in the shops, and its very easy to use. i dont use microwave sterilizers for the fear of radiation, but at the end opf the day, i do own a travel sterilizer which u have to microwave while taking out |(ex: my mums house) but thats on rare occasions.

you can always do it the natural way by boiling water and letting the bottles sit in for 5-8 mins, i find this easier. plus the sterilized bottles, once finished will stay sterile for 6 hours within the sterilizer.

they say ( atleast in my antenatal) that regardless of your plans to breastfeed, it is always convenient and there is no harm in buying a couple of bottles for emergency.

they also said regardless of breastfeeding, in any case, its handy to keep a tin of formula in your cupboard. you dont have to use it and you probably wont, but you never know. some people may want to breastfeed and find that their their milk production is very low, so its useful or those times. its just a precaution, ofcourse at the end of the day you do whats best for you and baby.

i was totally pro breastfeeding and completely against formula all up until i gave birth., i didnt know my circumstances would change and that they would tell me to start her on formula, so its all a matter of prevention.

mine was a bit different and you will probably not need to use formula or anything. xx

but yes some babies might have difficult with transition from breast to bottle especially if you have been exclusively breastfeeding for a while.

At the beginning I started pumping to get a stash and it made my production waaaaaaay too much. So im always over producing and has caused such horrendous issues. I wouldn't mess with pumping at the beginning until your supply regulates itself to your babie's needs.

If anything, just pump one boob while baby on the other one once a day for a bottle that DH can use at night. But then as he is feeding baby in middle of night, you may want to pump. Lol. Otherwise you get full.

On one hand, I liked the stash I created for a bit there when OH was helping with feeds and we were out and about, but on the other hand I HATE the overproduction. I have ceased pretty much all pumping, and feed him off the boob in public now and am the only one who feeds him in the night...but I haven't really gone back to work very much so figuer its all my job.

You probably will want to have DH take a feeding at night though because its awefully hard to get up and do EVERY feed, but I usually had to pump if I wasn't feeding, so the getting up was still there.

All this said, now Kian hates the bottle and was ok with it before...so I think the fact that I don't offer one anymore has been bad in that respect.

Unless you plan to spend every minute with baby, you should probably have a pump. And introduce a bottle to baby.

Wow, loads of helpful info in here this week! :thumbup:

Happy 16 weeks for tomorrow Sarah :flower:

thanks mummy
I booked my next ultrasound monday may 7, I will be 18 weeks and 1 day then! I did say to mw I would go at 19, but loads of people on here go at 18 and dont have any problems with measurements. if I have to go back thats ok! so thats less than 2 weeks, cant wait and pray everything looks good...its so nervewracking as this is their proper look at bub and I worry about things.

I so hope everything is ok and cant wait for your scan! Hope the weeks pass quickly.

ooooh Im so bad, I bought so more baby things today I cant help it!! its so hard to find gender neutral clothing so I get it if I see it, and if its on sale!

so please let me know what clothing they need in the first few weeks, before I might get out to shop. So far I have a bunch of onesies....but I assume they put on something over those as their arms and feet would be cold lol, then I got some sleep things that have built in feet. So will I need some clothes like pants and tops...I havent seen much of that gender neutral (I did buy a cute striped brown and white pants and hoody). I just have no clue! I will have to send out SIL right after bub is born to go buy some clothes!!

or I might just ask the tech when hubby is not in the room at my scan to reveal all :haha::muaha:

We had some long-sleeve onesies and just added cotton pants. We still just do onesies really. Tops are a pain to me when a onesie is so easy. I preferred pants with feet in the small sizes. Socks fall off too easily.

ok will look for some more long sleeved onesies. and good point about the socks :thumbup:

I had a summer baby so no help to you lol. Footed sleepers are great, but don't get many smaller than 0-3 cause if bubby is tall they wont fit long.

And zippers not snaps if possible. Kristin cries b/c it takes me so long to do all those snaps. And they are complicated. (referring to footed jammies) We are currently looking for zippered 6-9, 9-12 and 12 in cotton. You probably don't need thicker fabric than cotton btw.

Halo sleep sacks are awesome when they can get out of a swaddle. They are like a blanket that can't be kicked off.

ndh Ive been buying 3-6 months in most things, as Im 5'10 and hubby 6' so Im sure bub will be long! I did buy 2 things 0-3 just for the first week or so just incase.

sheryl these ones do have snaps, I dont think I saw zippered but I will look!

I just showed hubby the clothes and he was laughing at how happy I was with them. then I was complaining how hard it is to get gender neutral and I was bored of cream and yellow :haha:

forgot to mention I also got some maternity cropped pants, leggings and cropped jeans today! my normal jeans fit everywhere but are getting snug in the tummy and digging in. so I think its almost time! I love the feel of the stretchy band, hubby was asking why they dont make them like that normally as they look so comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->