ok so who wants to get pregnant in 2011? (closed group)

That bed is awesome! I may have to have another one just to have bunk beds. Lol.

Ella has a bunk bed but we removed the bottom one and its now more of a dorm room style bed so she is still at top and there is her doll house in the cubby below now. She still likes it, I keep trying to urge her to want a new "big girl bed" like one that has a pull out bed under it for sleep overs. I will let her keep this one if she likes it though!

OH WOW sarah that bed look amazing !!!!!

we have a normal cot bed, that she can sleep in until 6 yrs of age.. you just keep changing the level of the mattress..
we thought it was practical.. would love to get a funky bed though.. it would have to be when we have more room or move to a 2 bed apt.

wow and you must have some will power, because i would not be able to wait to find out and if and when i did, i cant keep anything from hubby.. i would be bursting to tell him. even when we found out with gemma,. he wasnt there. i went to my appointment, he was at work, it was around 13 weeks, and she just mentioned it to me and i called him. boring.. but i couldnt contain myself.. good luck to you with whatever you decide xxxxxxxx

ha thats the thing preethi, I dont know if I have the willpower! thats why Im warning you I might crack and find out!! I think I would be fine not telling hubby, Im so used to keeping things private like the fertility treatments, my finger injury etc... Im good at not saying a word about a lot of stuff!! Hubby and I usually tell eachother everything, but I think I could keep it in. and honestly he wouldnt be that mad if I blurted it out. And I would have fun mentioning both sexes 'by mistake' :haha:

my mum is coming next wednesday for my SIL's wedding. havent told her about my finger, was either going to private message her this week on fb and tell her, or in person. hubby thinks its better in person, but its such a traumatic thing to tell someone (my fingertip got cut off by my dog!) it will be hard to do in person too. I suppose its better when she is here and can see Im ok.

haha I could say they missed the 2nd baby on the other ultrasounds. nah he wouldnt go for that, seeing as we only put back one blast!

:rofl: this is true - he seems a little too clued up to fall for that :)

Would he REALLY put it together that quickly? I didn't? You could get some reaction?

ok I have a question for all you experts:

we just moved our bedroom around and now I have space on the side for a bassinette. I had originally thought they go straight into a crib and I would just walk in there when they cry and pick them up and feed them in the lounger in their room. we were also going to hard wire a baby monitor above the crib so would put them in there for naps. I dont want any issues getting them into the crib later so perhaps I should skip the bassinette? how do you find out advice about this??!!!

My friend had her oldest in her room until she was 6 months with no problems. Her youngest is 2 1/2 months and she is moving him into his room from a bassinet in their room as soon as her in-laws leave. (Her hubby is in Italy for a work trip) I would think the biggest concern would be that it's more difficult to sleep for you and your hubby. Her hubby had been sleeping in the baby's room and now she is going to sleep in the baby's room. I have never slept in the baby's room and we have done just as you initially planned. I listen to and watch the baby on the monitor as needed. I have the ability to block her out if she's crying for no reason. And I don't interrupt hubby nearly as much whenever I have to get up with her at night.

yes Im leaning towards doing my original plan, I cant remember if it was the midwife or someone saying to me 'no you would have them in your room at first' that confused me :shrug:

DH is dead against her sleeping in our bed. We have friends that have a son that will be 2 next month that has slept in their bed every night for 2 years. He will have to sleep with his grandma whenever his mom is gone for a few days for surgery. He cried for hours in his crib and they couldn't take it. Our neighbors have a 2 y.o. and a 4 y.o. and they still end up in their bed too.

Saranna's in our room - in our bed though we're working on moving her to a crib in our room. Having baby in your room for the first six months helps drastically reduce SIdS risk and makes breastfeeding really convenient as you can feed the baby at the first signs of hunger before s/he wakes up and screams the place down. Hubby's and my sleep has never been affected by her being in with us (except when I was waking her up to change her diaper and then she'd be up for an hour and a half but that only happened a couple of times. We're moving her out of our bed now though as she's wiggling so much she does take up a lot of space and we only have a double bed. But we wont start transitioning her to her own room until she's at least six months old.

yeah, I intended to have Caleb in the bassinet beside the bed initially, for the simple ease of it; babies often wake 4+ times through the night, and often feeds take an hour or so to finish with a newborn, meaning many hours out of bed every night if you do it that way. And if they get to the point of full out crying for you, they tend to be harder to settle back to sleep too (whereas if you can get to them when they're just stirring, it often just takes plugging a boob in for them to snuggle in and drift off to sleep on the boob)

And yup, there is a huge reduction in SIDS if they're simply in the same room as the parents sleep. That alone should be enough to convince people! lol. Just their own bed, in your room, makes a huge difference.

So, like I said, my intention was to have him in the bassinet right by the bed, so I could basically reach him by sitting up on the edge of the bed (not so much bumbling around the house) and also close enough that I'd hear him stirring. Only, it turned out that even that much getting up was a struggle! lol. And having been encouraged to bed-share safely in the hospital, I sorta just carried on bed-sharing at home! lol!! It means I am hyper-aware of him and he simply has to start snuffling about and I can roll over, flip out a boob, and we all snuggle up and go back to sleep. I have actually woken up a few times with him already latched on and drinking too.... :haha:

I do have the cot against the bed, and he does generally start the night across in there. But until he is sleeping much longer hours at night (which, by the way, doesn't naturally happen until they 2-ish generally) I am happy to be sharing our sleeping space with him. And really, I don't actually see it as an issue if he's 4 years old and still wants to spend some of the nights with us. :shrug: It's my job now, to be there for him when he needs me and to not just ignore him and tell him "he's ok" even if he doesn't feel 'ok' at all! I'm confident that he won't be sleeping with us as a teenager, so a few years now is fine as far as I'm concerned. I won't ever get these snuggly baby days back again!

It's important to be aware that babies do NOT 'get bad habits' just because you meet their needs (their wants = their needs; they know no difference!) and I know *MY* sleeping 'habits' change around depending on what I am doing in my life, so I KNOW that any 'habit' Caleb has at the moment, will change as his needs change with his growing and developing. And hence I am not worried about 'making a rod for my own back', cos I KNOW he will develop and change, some times he'll "regress" and other times he'll rocket on too. I'm in no hurry to force my idea of good habits on to his growing body & mind. :)

We had Lottie in her moses basket and then crib next to our bed until she was six months. Then moved her into her room.

Lizzie is doing exactly the same thing. I'm just now waiting until both bottom teeth have cut through (one has already and the other wont be far behind) before I move her into the room with Lottie. I think it's unfair on Lottie to put a teething baby in her room when I can wait a couple more weeks and then move her.

I think it's completely healthy to have them near you for the first 6 months - in fact it's recommended in the UK.

Lottie has never had issues with sleeping while in our room or her own and Lizzie seems to be the same so far... hoping the transition into the room together will go smoothly! *fingers crossed*

Ella was in my room in her own pack n play (crib?) til 9 months! Even though her crib (cot?) was in her room next to us all ready. I was not ready and she never once had an issue sleeping in her own room after that. She asks more NOW to sleep with us at age 8 but i think shes feeling left out with us all in our room with Kian.

Kian will be with us for a long time i bet since we have no bedroom for him. lol. Honestly, even with a room he wouldnt be in there yet. He still wakes and its true that if i grab him on first stirring, he goes back down easy. And yes, much better for attachment and SIDS prevention. I read that the breathing of the parents in the same room encourage a newborn baby's body to continue breathing in rythym so SIDS occurs less.

I think my sleep is disrupted with him in there, but it would be more so if he wasn;t in there i would worry more.

Logan was in the camp cot (pack n play / travel cot) right next to my side of the bed for the first 5 months. I did thid because i didn't want to have to get up countless times in the night - it's so much easier to just half sit up, reach over and pull them into bed to feed. Or to lift your head and pop the dummy (pacifier) back in etc.

From 6 weeks i started putting him in his cot/crib in his own room to sleep during the day so he could get used to it.

My plan was to move him into his own room at night when he started sleeping through. That happened at 5 months, so earlier this month we moved him to his own room during the night and he's been absolutely fine with it since the first night.

But every baby and every family is different and you need to do what works for you.

thanks everyone!! lots of great info. I wouldnt put bub in bed because of the dog thing, even though Im sleeping with the older dog who is gentle I might sometimes have the younger 2 and after the fight and my finger I just cant risk it. so that leaves a bassinette by bed...Id never heard of the sids/breathing thing, thats very interesting. and now I understand being able to quickly grab them before they wake too much :thumbup:

Im not too worried about my sleep having them in the room, hubby has a choice of other beds in the house he can sleep in there with the dogs on work nights.

this was the basinette I loved as it goes with our bedroom decor
https://www.montedesign.net/bassinet.html
I know in the cribs you are not supposed to have bumpers for the breathing issues, this one has a thick siding to it, will that be ok?

I was going to get a lounger/rocking chair for bubs room as I was picturing me feeding there at night, do I need to bother? I suppose I might use it in the day? does anyone else feel theres a need for a rocker?

flying what exactly is happening with your hubbies finger? Ive seen a few updates on fb and dont understand the full story. Im very sensitive to finger injuries so I hope he is ok!

I used a bassinet with mesh on both sides for air flow. What he is sleeping in now has mesh sides also. Im pretty anal about air flow and reducing SIDS, but I know in the UK its common practice to use Moses baskets so...?? My doc said no to moses baskets so not sure what to recommend to you there!

We have a rocker in our room, but never use it. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->