Ok to start BLW at 5 months??

jessmke

Reaction score
I am eager to start letting DD have some solid food just because I think she would find it fun and it would be nice to include her in meal times. She can sit almost unaided, if she sits too upright she will tip backwards but she can self-correct if she starts tipping forward or to the sides. She can even sit by herself while holding toys in her hands and playing so long as she doesn't lean backwards. She can sit perfectly fine in her chair that gets pushed up to the kitchen island with us when we eat. She can easily get anything to her mouth, she can even turn her pacifier around so it is the right way up and then put it in her mouth all by herself. She has also lost the tongue thrust reflex. I have to make sure my plate is away from her because she is always trying to grab stuff off of it. I don't think she's actually interested in the food, she just tries to grab anything that is in front of her and it immediately gets put into her mouth. I don't care if she actually consumes any of the food, I just think it would be great fun for her. Is 5 months too early to start BLW?

Attachments

• IMG_2902.jpg
    IMG_2902.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 16
I think it's fine if she's able to handle it okay. I would just start with really easy to hold and chunky things that won't quickly just break off in her mouth. We started with cucumber sticks, slices of raw pepper (which she couldn't really bite, just sucked on), melon sticks or halves of pitted nectarines. No harm in seeing how she does and if she's okay, might as well keep it up when you have a chance. It does have to be every day even but just when you happen to be sitting together for a meal and you have something suitable to let her play with.

I would just wait a month to make sure her stomach is ready for it.

Thanks for the replies! I think I will wait for a bit because I am having some supply issues with my milk these last few days. I don't think she would actually consume any food this early on, but I don't want to risk it as that would cause a further decrease in my supply. We will probably just wait until the recommended 6 months.

Awww she is cutie!
Cant comment on baby led weaning as we started traditional at 5,5 month. But whenever i soon feed her, she grabs the spoon and puts into her mouth and then smiles :)
I will wait till later to let her feed herself though, i am bot sure about the food she could actually chew off. She managed to swallow a bit of teething bisquit the other day :/

I think if a baby can grab food, put it in their mouth, chew and swallow then they are ready for food. If you didn't know what day she was born, or didn't have a calendar you'd have to be led by her anyway! BLW is about being led by baby. The guidance says "around" six months because this is the norm for showing readiness signs. Maybe sit her on your knee at meal times and if she grabs food then you can see what she is able to do with it.

I would say that if she is picking food of the plate let her have it. She has an interest in it and at most she will play with it until she realizes that it's food. Of course always offer the breast first before meals. As PP suggested maybe put her on your lap at mealtimes and see if she tries to eat? If so, that's baby led weaning right there !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->