ok weird question.peas and soya can make you have fertility problems?

nessie01

Reaction score
ok

i just watched a fertility chick on utube say that Peas and soya products can make you infertile!! and not to eat them.has anyone heard this? i drink soya milk cause im lactose intolerent! and i eat peas lol!! am i doomed!!
ness

I've read that a couple places online. Not sure about the research to back it up though. I know soy causes a few different issues. I stay away from it. If it's true or your worried try switching to goats milk instead of soy.

Oh dear I didnt know that I have soya milk too, I am going to have to spend the day researching that now :rofl: I love the internet.
I will have to switch to toast for breakfast instead.

hi ya! oh gosh - i never heard of this! I too am lactose intolerant, however i tend to have rice milk instead of soya milk - maybe you guys could switch to that instead? I actually prefer it to soya milk! xxx

I read this in a fertility book I bought a while back.... said something about some country having less problems with too many kids or not needing birth control or something and they found that they had a lot of peas in their diet. Heard about soy products too but never used soy so didnt pay much attention to that one.

wow ok i think i will switch to rice milk then just in case!!! im not to worried about the pea thing i mean its not a staple lol just a normal once a week vegie !!!
thanks
ness

I'd never heard that, but I find all soy based products taste horrible and give me the worst gas, so I never touch them. I find the rice milk tastes really good, but I can drink regular milk as long as I don't over do it.

hi there...so called expert yet expectant mummy here.. there is no conclusive evidence that soya, when eaten as part of a healthy balanced diet, has any effect on fertility. If soya was really having an impact on fertility, then we would expect to see an effect in countries where soya is regularly eaten. There is no evidence that this is the case, indeed, generations of Asians have regularly consumed soya without fertility problems.’
There is often confusion around the health effects of plant oestrogens , also known as Isoflavones which are clearly different from human oestrogen. Isoflavones are compounds naturally found in a great number of plants and vegetables (cereals, celery, asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, chick peas and lentils, etc.) and are particularly present in soya. They are a plant oestrogen and although they mimic human oestrogen their activity is tens of thousands times weaker than the hormone oestrogen. Recent scientific studies suggest that Isoflavones in soya may have a beneficial effect on our health particularly in relation to osteoporosis, cancer (breast cancer and prostate cancer), menopausal symptoms and cardiovascular health. There is no reason why soya foods cannot be enjoyed by pregnant women or those planning to become pregnant as part of a balanced diet so dont worry if you are currently enjoying it! Carry on...

Hi there,

I just wanted to add my friends experience with Soya Milk.

Her and her other half were TTC for over a year and they didn't want to try IVF. They eventually went to a Homeopath who gave them some stuff but also told her to come off Soya Milk.

Either the Homeopathy worked or stopping the Soya milk did as they conceived about six months after that.

I realise that it may be coincidental but I also used to drink Soya Milk and knowing I wanted to conceive changed to Rice milk (thinner and too sweet!!!! Not a nice change but like Soya Milk you get used to it). I don't see the harm in giving it up while TTC. It's hardly the most delicious thing!!!!

hi there...so called expert yet expectant mummy here.. there is no conclusive evidence that soya, when eaten as part of a healthy balanced diet, has any effect on fertility. If soya was really having an impact on fertility, then we would expect to see an effect in countries where soya is regularly eaten. There is no evidence that this is the case, indeed, generations of Asians have regularly consumed soya without fertility problems.’
There is often confusion around the health effects of plant oestrogens , also known as Isoflavones which are clearly different from human oestrogen. Isoflavones are compounds naturally found in a great number of plants and vegetables (cereals, celery, asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, chick peas and lentils, etc.) and are particularly present in soya. They are a plant oestrogen and although they mimic human oestrogen their activity is tens of thousands times weaker than the hormone oestrogen. Recent scientific studies suggest that Isoflavones in soya may have a beneficial effect on our health particularly in relation to osteoporosis, cancer (breast cancer and prostate cancer), menopausal symptoms and cardiovascular health. There is no reason why soya foods cannot be enjoyed by pregnant women or those planning to become pregnant as part of a balanced diet so dont worry if you are currently enjoying it! Carry on...

My opinion on "countries where soya is regularly eaten" is that we evolve differently.

People from certain cultures have a higher percentage chance of being lactose intolerant because their ancestors were less likely to drink milk. And those who come from cultures where milk is commonly drunk are less prone to be lactose intolerant.

People who come from cultures where soya is a large part of their diet, well their ancestors, who were obviously not affected by it's negative impact, obviously went on to reproduce just fine. Those who were affected by its impact on reproduction, would not have reproduced and hence their genes would die out.

Now cultures where Soya products are new, we haven't been through this process yet. And so there may be people who's reproduction is sensitive to Soya milk and so they may go on to not have offspring due to the reported affects of soya.

Then in the future only reproductive systems which were not sensitive to Soya would survive.

I'm sure I would feel safe to resume drinking soya milk once I have had all the kids I want to have, but I guess in these situations, where there are mixed reports, most people feel safer to just avoid something when it is not essential.

There are also differences in the way soya is prepared for consumption - many cultures who traditionally eat soya ferment it first e.g. tofu........spinning its fibres out to resemble meat is a relatively new development, so generations of consumers have yet to emerge!

Not sure about soya milk and how long it has been around though!

Just thought I'd add my two penn'th!

I have a thing for pea&ham soup and eat it pretty much every lunch time :munch: I shall now try and find another soup to get addicted too

Amanda

Hi there,

I just wanted to add my friends experience with Soya Milk.

Her and her other half were TTC for over a year and they didn't want to try IVF. They eventually went to a Homeopath who gave them some stuff but also told her to come off Soya Milk.

Either the Homeopathy worked or stopping the Soya milk did as they conceived about six months after that.

I realise that it may be coincidental but I also used to drink Soya Milk and knowing I wanted to conceive changed to Rice milk (thinner and too sweet!!!! Not a nice change but like Soya Milk you get used to it). I don't see the harm in giving it up while TTC. It's hardly the most delicious thing!!!!

Or they finally got lucky after 1 1/2 years...

If that was true vegans and vegetarians, who eat a lot of soy-based products, would be known to have fertility problems. Which is far to be true.

Soy isoflavines are anoly supposed to be takin for about 5 days in the begining of your cycle to help with OV. It tricks your boby into thinking its going into menopause and ups your estrogin i think to help you OV sooner. So I imagine if you take it longer it'll have the opposite effect.

Hi there,

Or they finally got lucky after 1 1/2 years...

If that was true vegans and vegetarians, who eat a lot of soy-based products, would be known to have fertility problems. Which is far to be true.

Of course they could have got pregnant just like that. And of course not EVERYONE will have a bad reproductive reaction to Soy products (read my previous post about evolution). But MAYBE some people MIGHT and studies have shown this MAY very well be the case in SOME people. I actually don't understand why people are defending soy like it personal?

It's like not everyone is lactose intolerant. And SOME people have a tendency to have allergic reactions to nuts. Some people might have problems with Soy. If you are TTC, then why risk it? Unless soya makes a huge part of your diet and you can't live without it. Which is probably very unlikely for most people. Seems silly to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->