• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Old School POAS addicts - chat thread!

I was induced because of insainly high blood pressure - but zero signs of pre-e. That must have been scary. :hugs:

Anyone have a birth story? I only did one with the last baby. It's very long, but here is is if you want to read it.

Haven’s birth story

Haven Ellerie Eastman was born on March 7 at 9:09 pm. She weighed a tiny 6lbs 14oz, 18in long. Her birth story started 6 weeks before her birth when I had my first elevated blood pressure. With a history of gestational hypertension I was monitored closely, but had zero symptoms of preeclampsia. Every weekly check up it was a watch & wait. Finally at my last appointment (Monday) at 36 & 6 it was at it’s highest 159/90 and I was told I had to make it to my next weekly appointment and they would induce me after 38w. I wasn’t feeling well. The next day (Tuesday) was terrible. I had done grocery shopping & was waiting in the car line at school to get my preschooler when I started feeling very nauseous, my face was pounding. I felt like a truck had hit me. I called my niece and asked her to come over and watch my 2 little ones so I could get a nap before I had to pick up my 4 older kids. I slept for a few hours & got through the night. I woke up the next morning (Wednesday) with a bunch of energy, dropped off the kids at school & made plans to see my niece for lunch. I met her after I picked up my preschooler for fast food in the car and I started feeling exactly them same as the day before. I promised the kids I’d take them to Target, but I knew I needed to go home. On my way home I called my doula to tell her how I’d been feeling. She was very concerned as she’s been through all 7 of my pregnancies and I had never felt like that before. She wanted me to call my ob/mw & let them know things were changing. I called & they put me through to the nurse who was not concerned at all. I had no symptoms of preeclampsia, I was more than 9 months pregnant, and maybe I had a stomach bug… She said I could wait for my next appointment on Monday, unless I really wanted to come in, she would not bother a Dr. but set me up with a nurse’s appointment to check my BP. I wasn’t sure what to do – I felt a little foolish, so I called my doula back and she said she was on her way to get me to bring me herself, because she was not comfortable with what I was telling her. I got to the office and they brought me right in & checked my BP – 169/98. Not good. The nurse said she’d grab a Dr right away and within 3 minutes she was back telling me to head over to the hospital, it was time to have my baby. I cried. I was so unprepared for that! I hadn’t said goodbye to the rest of my children and it was still 3 weeks early. I had to call my husband, he had to get my bag and meet us at the hospital.
When we got there they put me in triage, which was weird, and hooked me up to the monitor and drew blood. Apparently there was some “miscommunication” that I was there to be monitored and not induced. In bed my BP was peachy. They discussed sending me home. As it happens there are a few ob’s in my group I do not like and one mw & Dr. I love. My favorites both happen to be on call that night. The mw said she wanted me to have my BP taken standing up before we went any further. I had to pee anyway so it was a great time. They took it right as I stood and it was fine. I walked one door down to the bathroom & back, took it again – 169/98. The mw came in just as that pressure was taken & said I wasn’t going home. Ideally if I could go home and be on strict bed rest until 38w that is what we would do, but with 6 kids at home already we all agreed that wasn’t likely to happen. So off to a room I went. I was checked and was only 1cm, thick, and my cervix was very far back. The mw said she’d like to give me something to sleep, cervidil & pitocin in the morning. I did not want to take something to sleep. I also wanted to try the most natural induction as possible. My awesome nurse suggested a Foley catheter. It’s pretty simple, put it in your cervix, it stretches its way out & viola you are 3cm! Well, nothing is as easy as that. Because I was so unfavorable the mw had to set up the stirrups and break down the table to get the catheter in place. I was shocked at the sight and then feel of being in the stirrups. I had given birth 6 times before and never actually seen them. What an uncomfortable, confining, controlling, and obviously man created system that is! I have no idea how any woman could relax enough to push a baby out in those – especially uphill! I’m sorry to any of you who have done it. Anyway, the catheter placement was uncomfortable with all the reaching and the mw’s knuckles but after about 10 minutes she had it in & filled. And then – POP! We were confused at first, what the heck was that? My water? No, it was the balloon! No one had ever heard of one popping before. I had to go through the entire process again! It gets taped to you leg taught and you wait for it to fall out. It was around 7pm when that was finished. I was crampy but nothing more. My mw suggested I eat something & get some sleep. All I wanted was Greek yogurt and toast. Sent my doula out for just that & then sent her home promising I’d call when something started. Dh & I tried to get some sleep. I barely slept at all between worrying about the baby and constantly having my BP checked. I also had to have the nurses keep checking the catheter and adjusting it through the night. It was really frustrating. Not to mention the fact that my SPD was killing me, and the hospital bed was so uncomfortable. I hate the hospital so much anyway so I knew I wasn’t going to sleep.
Around 6:30 the next morning I went to the bathroom and delivered my Foley baby! I was pretty excited because that meant things were moving along! My mw came in & decided we could break my water now. I was 3cm but nothing else had changed, still thick and far back. She made 3 attempts to break my water – painfully and just couldn’t get it. She thought she nicked the bag. I had a few choices, she could try again, she could give me a break and try later, or she could bring in the Dr with more experience to give it a try. I asked her to bring in the Dr. Just as he walked in the room I said, “never mind!” My water had just broken! Exciting again! Now things would finally pick up and move along. Then nothing. We decided to break out the breast pump and give that a shot. I pumped for over an hour (got a bonus 20cc of colostrom) but nothing happened. We decided it was time to start pitocin. I’m not really sure what time that was, late morning I guess. Contractions started almost right away – painful from the get go as pitocin makes them. I decided to try to walk to speed things along. Now would be a good time to say I had been dealing with crippling SPD since November. It was so bad I was unable to walk around at all by evening. It was as if someone smashed me between the legs with a baseball bat, and I had a hot knife constantly stabbing me in the middle of my pelvis. Trying to walk around the hospital was too much. That made me upset because I’m used to being active during labor and if I couldn’t walk I was pretty much limited to the birth ball or the tub. So, I moved to the birth ball. It wasn’t so bad at first. I was having a fun time with my birth team, my dh, my doula, my nurse & my mw. Then the contractions really picked up. I was able to sneak in a snack of peanut butter on crackers. I would say they were at least a good 6 on the pain scale. Almost worse than the contractions was the pain in my pelvis from the SPD – like something was trying to pry me apart. My mw suggested the tub for some relief. There was part of me that knew I wasn’t ready for the tub. I asked to be checked first. 3cm! What! It had been hours of contractions & I had made no progress except the baby was zero station. I was so discouraged. I had great nurses come & go, my mw & favorite Dr would be leaving in a few hours, and I didn’t really know the next Dr on call. I got in the tub anyway. Instant relief! I would say a 50% reduction in pain. And then everything slowed down. Up with the pit as they had done all day. I was feeling more and more pressure on myself that it was taking too long, nothing was going as I had hoped. I got out of the tub and back on the ball in the tub room. My mw was leaving and I was at a stand still. I think my doula knew I was in a bad place so she stepped out and gave dh & I a little time. I put my head on my dh who was in a chair next to me and sobbed. I mean I sobbed hard. I had no idea why I was crying. Maybe because this was going to be the last baby? Maybe because I felt like I was letting everyone down because it was taking too long? Maybe because I was exhausted and it had been 24 hours of this already? We decided to go back to our room and get checked. I got in bed and my new, and best yet, nurse checked me. 3cm. That was enough. I told everyone to leave me alone. I was going to crawl into bed & have a pity party. So I did just that. My contractions were coming fast and fierce. 9 out of 10 on a pain scale. But I was not making progress. I lay in bed terrified I was going to end up with a section. My pelvis was on fire. I wasn’t sure how I was going to deal with pushing when and if the time came. After about half an hour I decided to get back on the ball. It was counterproductive lying in bed, I needed this baby to get in a good position to come out. At this point my dh & doula decided to order dinner. I just went about my business laboring, trying to relax through my contractions. It was getting intense. It had to be the pelvic pain. I was being taken to a level of pain I did not know even existed. Not only were the contractions the worst I had felt – there was no relief in-between because of my pelvis being pried apart. It was unbearable. And yet, there was nothing I could do. I just melted into each one knowing there would be no break. Just intense pain on top of intense pain. I had already decided to abandon my dream of a water birth, it slowed things down and I didn’t feel like getting in and out of the stupid tub. My doula and nurse almost forced me to go back into the tub room. I wanted to be checked first. Would you believe after several more hours of the worst pain I have ever felt in my life I was still 3cm? Neither could I. I cried again. I knew I was headed for a section. I knew I could not take much more of the pain. I was failing. My 7th and last birth, all my births before completely natural, my body was failing me. My nurse very calmly stroked my leg and explained that sometimes this happens to mom’s who have given birth so many times. We can get scar tissue in our cervix making it difficult to dilate, but I could go from 3cm to pushing in a very short time. She said there was no push for a section, they all had faith in my body, and me that I had done this before and I would do it again. Now lets get back in the tub. In the tub I went. I felt at this point I didn’t care how many stupid cm I was I just needed some relief. I got it in the tub, thank God. It was just after 8pm. My contractions were as intense, but I was getting some relief from the pelvic pain. I was sitting almost Indian style sideways in the tub. I was leaning back on a pillow and melting into the contractions. My dh was behind me caressing my head and shoulders. I was calm and quiet except making some counter pressure breathing during the contractions. I could feel the baby moving down. I could feel my cervix dilating. I knew it was getting close. I said out loud that I was going to be ready to push soon, but I did not want to get the Dr until I knew I had made progress. I was damned if I was going to get excited again just to be told I was 3cm. So I did the only logical thing – I reached down between my own legs and checked myself. (No I had never done that before, lol) I announced that I could feel the baby’s head – which had hair, but I still had a lip of cervix. I asked my nurse to get the Dr because it would only be a few more contractions. I’m not sure what everyone else in the room though about that. It was funny for a moment, but the nurse did as I asked. I could hear the Dr on the way in say “She said what? Well did you check her?” So the nurse checked me and said, “It’s exactly as she described, hair & all.” I waited 2 more contractions and felt like I should be pushing already, so something was holding me up. I went ahead and checked myself again and I was exactly the same. I announced this time that my position was holding me up and I needed to change positions. I looked at this Dr who I didn’t know, trust, or know if I really cared for at the time and asked what position he’d like me to get into to push, and that darling man said to me’ “what ever position feels right to YOU.” That was all I needed. Up to that point I had held myself up for what I feel like was the entire labor worrying about so much. I adjusted myself on my left side, I put my top leg on the top of the tub & grabbed onto my dh’s hands. The very next contraction I announced with a grunt that I was pushing. At first I tried to ease her head out slowly. Once the pain of that stretching of my pelvis hit me I said screw it, she needs to come out now! I got her head out with that first contraction. I took a deep breath and pushed for the second time with everything I had left and got the rest of her out. My doula shouted “Amy open your eyes!” I did and there was my precious baby in the water just waiting for me to reach down and take into my arms. The Dr had only guided her to my hands. My first thought was, she is so tiny! I have given birth to 2, 9lb 7oz babies and she was just a tiny peanut! I cuddled her with her body in the water totally relaxed and quiet. It was like time stopped. All my pain was gone and it was all worth it because I was just radiating with the immense love for my child. My dh got up at some point and grabbed a blanket and said “my turn!” She went right from my arms to his. I eased myself out of the tub and over to the toilet and gently delivered the placenta. I had a horrendous experience before, but my Dr was patient and gentle and perfect. After that I got in a wheelchair to be pushed to my room. Haven Ellerie was born at 9:09 pm – just less than an hour after I had gotten into the tub, after more than 30 hours in the hospital. She spent almost 2 hours with us until they took her to check her out and clean her up. They do all of it right in my room, which was wonderful. By 1:30am (Friday) I was finally left alone – I sent my dh home to be with my other babies.
The Dr, who I had not known or trusted, had ended up being just exactly what I needed. He trusted in me and let me listen to my body and birth my baby. I will always be grateful. He came to my room the next day and said he could speak for everyone in that tub room in saying it was the best birth they had ever seen in their life – ever. Coming from an experienced Dr I was so proud. And I should be. I was brought to a level of pain I had not know existed and I pushed myself through it. I had a few too many bumps along the way but I did it! And as I look down at my beautiful sleeping girl I can honestly say there is nothing I wouldn’t do for her. She is mine and I am hers and we are so in love!
There are many people that never truly know what their meaning of life is, and fewer that get to follow that dream. I know that being a mother is what I was meant to do. The fact that I have been able to do it 7 times, with all the love and support of my husband is overwhelming. I truly am the most blessed woman in the world.

I feel like I'm the only one who's still WTT, so I feel alone in this thread lol.

I feel like I'm the only one who's still WTT, so I feel alone in this thread lol.

Sorry Blueberri - you aren't alone. We were meant to WTT but had a bit of woopsie the day of ovulation so we're now in an unintentional TWW :blush: if we're not pregnant this cycle we'll go back to WTT.

My cycles were around 28 days, though not always regular after DS3 with a late O so not impossible for me to still O I guess.
I will move over to the laptop to read your birth story and share mine. It's fun to reminisce lol

I'm going to read your birth story right now, luv.

Here's Sofia's - long as well :haha:

10/24/2013 - 37 weeks -
At 12pm exactly she put in a dose of cytotec into my cervix [omg that was the tiniest pill I've ever seen and she lost it at first and had her hand up there for a good 2 minutes trying to get it placed correctly :dohh:].

4pm she checked me again. I was now 1.5cm and 70% effaced. I honestly thought I would get another dose of the cytotec but instead they started the Pitocin. The doctor came in and let me know they planned to break my water a few hours after that.

7:25pm I was having noticeable contractions, still bearable but definitely knew they were contractions. Every 30 minutes or so they upped the Pitocin by 1 point. The nurse mentioned that the average level was 7 to get women into a regular contraction rhythm [by the time all was said and done I made it up to 12... guess I'm not so average lol].

9:30pm I was at level 6 w/ Pitocin and the contractions were getting stronger but definitely not regular [3 in a row then a 3-5 minute break, then 3 more then another 3-5 minute break :dohh:]

10pm I got up to use the restroom. When I was done I stood up I thought I'd peed down my leg a bit :blush: :haha: Cleaned myself up and got back in bed. I didn't say anything to anyone at the time. But now, with every contraction, I felt a small gush.... I kept asking dh to give me paper towels as I didn't like the feeling of being wet down there :rofl: It didn't even dawn on me that it could be my waters.

11:20pm dh convinced me to let the nurse know; she suspected my water had broke, checked and sure enough they had most likely gone when I went to the restroom earlier, plus I was now 3cm and nearly 100% effaced :dance:.

12:15am [Friday 10/25/2013] they started the magnesium to help control my blood pressure [I thought it was started earlier but according to dh's notes it wasn't started til this time] They had to do a catheter at this point as well as they have to record the amount of urine being passed.

1:49am my contractions were intense enough for me to finally break down and I asked for the epidural. She checked again and I was still just 3cm :dohh: That bummed me out but I still wanted the epi.

2:45am the epi is in and for the first hour or so it was amazing. After that is was intense to not be connected to my lower half. I swelled a LOT from all the fluids they were pumping into me But I still appreciated the relief.

3:45am dh and I tried to get some rest. I was having trouble breathing, since the magnesium is a muscle relaxer. They gave me the oxygen mask to help. I was able to get some broken sleep.

5am she checked me again but I was still just 3cm but baby had a few decels in her heartbeat and the doctor came in to discuss c-sec. They turned down the Pitocin to see if that helped regulate her heart beat. After about 2 hours baby was doing much better so the started the pitocin back up. They also started pumping some iv fluids back into me through my hoohaa, as they thought the pressure on baby without the waters was getting to be much. At some point earlier they had also put the two internal monitors in, the one that attaches to baby's head and the other that goes between her head and my cervix to get a better reading on contractions. Sometime around here, I ended up needing two sick bags :wacko: They gave me some zofran and that helped. I wonder now, if I was transistioning at this point? :shrug:

11am we had tried sleeping a bit more, dh managed a few hours, I got maybe 2hrs off and on. I started feeling a lot of pressure in my lower back and ribs but figured it was just more intense contractions so I didn't mention it to anyone but dh. This went on for about an hour when dh convinced me to let the nurse know. She came in to check and to our surprise, I was fully dilated and her head was visible! :saywhat: I fully expected to be told I was only 5cm or something. At that point I was so exhausted that I was ready for them to opt for a c-sec. Hearing I was ready to push gave me a 2nd wind for sure.

12pm the nurse called the doctor and told me with the next contraction to push while we waited for the doctor to show. I pushed 3x per contraction [to which the contractions were still off, 3-5 minute break between 3 back to back contractions].
The doctor arrived about 15 minutes later. She had me push a few more times then suited up. Holy crap - that is when it got really real. I knew I was close, which gave me my 3rd wind :haha: Between pushes it was a really awkard, everyone was silent, my legs up in the stirups, the brightest stage lights pointed at my nether region, with no one looking at anyone else, just waiting for me to give the signal that another contraction was starting :rofl: During the waits, I was watching Gold Rush on the tv that was on behind the nurse :haha: Anyway, about 6 more pushes and her head was out. I was surprised that I didn't even have to push with the next contraction - she just came out on her own, with a huge gush of fluid [all that fluid that they had been pumping into me was behind her, it was startling how much burst out, and I mean burst! Everyone had to jump back to avoid getting soaked :rofl:]

12:38pm 24hrs and 38mins after the induction began our baby girl was born!! <3

I had requested to have delayed cord clamping so she kept the baby below my belly for about 3 minutes til the cord stopped pulsing. The doctor held her upside down [to get the water out of her lungs, I assume :shrug:] She didn't cry at all, and that worried me a bit, I asked if she was ok and the doctor said yep she just had a bit of water blocking her airway. Once the cord stopped pulsing they put her on me skin to skin. Dh got to cut the cord and within about 5 minuted she was rooting so I bf and she latched beautifully. Even the nurses were impressed :dance: Right from the moment she was placed on me she just seemed so happy and aware. They took her to nursery for a few hours after our 90mins of skin to skin for some monitoring and a chest xray to see how much liquid was in her lungs. Her oxygen level was a bit low as well. Her apgar wasn't that great at first [I wasn't told a number though] but after a few hours she was doing much better so they brought her to our postpartum room and the rest is history. It was intense and emotional, long and tiring but well worth every minute and I'd do it all again in a heart beat. <3

6lbs 10.8oz and 20'' long :flow:

I ordered 50 opks when I'm not meant to be peeing on anything and a bbt. I'm supposed to be wtt, we just are not being very careful while waiting lmao

Ok so DS4s birth story.
3 days past my due date, I'd been achy, had tightenings most of the day but had been having them for weeks so didn't take any notice.
After putting the boys to bed I noticed that the tightenings were a bit stronger but no real pattern to them. Wasn't until about 10:30 I decided to start timing them as they hadn't settled and I couldn't rest. When I'm in labour I just can't sit down. They were averaging 3 minutes apart.
I was chatting to a group of friends on facebook and just before 11pm I said "okay that one actually hurt!"
I had a homebirth planned so I sorted out my notes and made sure I had everything on hand and DH nipped round to tell SIL to be on standby (she lives 2 doors away and was our emergency care for the big boys) It was about 11:15pm by the time I phoned the hospital for them to send a midwife out. The lady I spoke to on the phone questioned the fact I was able to talk through the contractions but said she'd contact a midwife. A few minutes after coming off the phone my waters went. There was still no midwife when I had the urge to push. I tried to fight it, but couldn't. DH had to deliver DS in our living room. He was born at 11:45pm. I noticed then that the rest of my waters looked a funny colour and made DH phone the hospital to tell them DS was here but the midwife wasn't and it looked like he may have pooped. He then rushed round to get SIL.
SIL was as much use as a chocolate teapot, she wanted to try to tie off and cut the cord as she said it couldn't stay on that long! She was in such a panic. You wouldn't believe she'd had 2 kids herself. But I'd heard him cry and knew he was breathing and under the meconium on his skin I could see he was a nice pink colour so wasn't too worried.
Midwife finally arrived followed by a second just before midnight. Did their thing, delivered placenta etc and said all looked fine but confirmed he had poo'd so we went up to the hospital for 12 hours monitoring.
The boys slept through it all thankfully. DH took a photo on his phone to show them when they woke up the next morning LOL

Off to read your stories now ;p

Luv - your birth story gave me chills and brought a tear to my eye. you're so incredibly strong and I'm so happy that you had a doctor that let you listen to your body and that you got to have your water birth! Amazing! <3

I enjoyed reading your stories luv and lovin. Luv I have tears in my eyes, I'm so glad you got the birth you wanted in the end. I know someone who had to have her 1st section with baby 10! I too have heard that about scar tissue in the uterus.

Wow - what a quick unassisted home birth, motherofboys! You did amazing!!

You ladies are my heros! Thank you for sharing your stories and your kind words.

Lovin, I'm so glad you didn't end up with a c-sec! Great job giving birth to your sweet girl.

Motherofboy, Wow! Just wow! What a great story. I'm so glad he was ok even with the meconium. My biggest wish was a home birth, but dh always said NO Way & I'm usually high risk.

Birth is such a beautiful experience.

Thanks, was a bit scary with out a midwife there. I kept apologizing to DH between pushing LOL

He was so calm and in control bless him. I guess it kind of makes up for the fact he missed DS2 completely LOL Someone told me that once you get to number 5 you count as being higher risk so can't have homebirths, don't know how true that it, but I've had 3 of the 4 boys at home, although I don't mind if I do have to go nto hospital next time.

Its funny now, but the beginning of the year FIL was really ill and was in hospital and kept asking to go home and saying "my son can look after me, he has delivered babies and everything" hahaha

I put my chart in my siggy because I simply can not do anything else ttc today! And I'm not temping - just gonna use opk.

Mine's in my siggy too - I temp'd once this cycle and have meant to all the days but totally have gotten out of habit and forget until I've already been up and about :dohh: Plus, with the way Sofia slept last night, there was no 4 solid hours anyway lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->