One week in and already having problems. :(

jessicatunnel

Reaction score
I thought breastfeeding was going well but lo is eight days old and has lost 10oz from his birth weight and has only gained one ounce back. I'm wondering if my supply is dropping because I'm never engorged anymore and my breast are always soft. I can see and hear him swallowing on the right breast but I can't hear him swallow on the left breast. I saw a lactation consultant today. She weighed him and then had me feed from my left breast and weighed him again. He only gained 1ml! He gained nearly an ounce from my right breast. The lactation consultant thinks my supply in my left breast has dropped significantly. Since we've got home from our appointment he's hardly even nursing from the left breast, he will suck a few times and then fall asleep, it's almost like he's not getting any milk at all from that side because as soon as I switch him to my right side he starts nursing straight away and I can see him swallowing etc. I've been instructed to pump after each feeding. I've only got a manual pump so I've just sent my husband out in the snow to get me an electric pump because I can't get ANYTHING out when I pump with the manual.
I'm taking fenugreek and more milk plus so I'm hoping those will help a bit. Is there anything else I can do? Doctors are getting really concerned with his weight and have started talking about introducing a little bit of formula. I didn't bf my first and am desperate for it to work out this time. Help?

Lay down with him on the couch, put on a good movie or start a tv series.. let him nurse on the left side while he sleeps and encourage him to continue to latch onto that side as much as possible. The stimulation is what helps produce milk.. but yes, pump after every feeding.. that should help :thumbup:

Good luck and hang in there!

Thanks! He won't even suck when he's asleep on the left boob anymore. He just let's the nipple sit in his mouth. Any tips on how to keep him awake? I've gotten him naked, tickled his feet, rubbed him with a baby wipe, etc. It wakes him a bit but he still won't suck at all. He will just pull away and not want to latch on again after. :/

It sounds like you are doing the right thing. Do as much skin to skin contactsas you can and keep offering the left boob. My manual pump isnt good so I hand express and I find after a day where iv squeezed my "bad booby" for 45 mins, I got loads of milk in.

The first few weeks are the hardest. Make breast feeding your priority for you and bubs and you will soon get the hang of it and be a pro, it will all fall into place.

Sorry I dont have much advice..the first week or so were difficult for me too so I know how that feels, it has got better almost 3 weeks in though.

I hope everything is ok for you and LO good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->