Only Children?

brownhairedmom

Reaction score
How many of you are only planning on having one baby?

I personally never really wanted my own biological children, I had every intention of adopting. Now, I'm here and pregnant. 1/4 of the time I worry that she'll never have a brother or a sister. Then the other 3/4 of my brain kicks in and thinks rationally and reminds me that there is no way I want to do this again! I feel guilty because she'll probably grow up as an only child, and I know I'm only 20 but I really just have no desire to be pregnant again in my lifetime at this very moment. I also don't see myself in a situation anymore to adopt any time in a nice while.

Anyone else only going to have just the one?

After my daughter I never wanted to be pregnant again, but you will find the joy out weighs the horrible parts of pregnancy...and labour *eeeeekkkk*

i def will have another 1 but Im pretty sure it wont be for about 5 years!!

Raelene dont feel guilty you never know whats round the corner or who you may meet!!! Your soul mate? Love of your life?? even if you do adopt they will still be a brother or sister to your LO!!! :hugs:

We already are planning on having at least one, if not two more :) But my situation is different then yours right now.

Maybe one day when school is finished and you find an awesome man to be with? Men arn't everything, but they definately help :)

That being said, my sister happily has 4 children and no interntion of every marrying anyone, she loves her children and they are all happy, so it works for them :D

Oh ya, id love to adopt a child too! I think it is an amazing thing to give a home to a less fortunate child. I used to work for a childrens aid foster home for a long time and they are all special.

At this stage, I would like to have a sibling for baby. Other than boob rage, pregnancy has been quite easy for me - I think it's mellowed me out!
However, I don't know if I will have another baby myself or if I will adopt. My husband and I talked a lot about the possibility of adopting before we got pregnant and we feel that it is something we want to do.
I have two younger brothers and we shared a great childhood and are close friends today. I think I would like this child I'm carrying to experience that.
On the other hand, being an only means lots of attention without sibling competition. And I don't think onlies miss out on close bonds with other kids because they don't have siblings. I never had a sister (even though I campaigned for one when I was eight!), but I've had a lifetime full of incredible girlfriends.
So no guilt, Rae!

Before i got pregnant i always wanted one child. But now i like the idea of having two! Its funny how things make you change your mind. Your still young, you could still adopt later on.

if its the physical side of pregnancy that making you think "eugh" never doing this again, youll be surprised at how much youll forget once she is here :hugs: Non is only 5.5 months and im struggling to remember what pregnancy felt like..
other than that, i can only say i know a lot of people who grew up as only children and they are perfectly happy, theyve admitted they sometimes wanted siblings but looking back theyve all had happy childhoods as their parent/s could devote more one on one time with them :hugs: xxx

I personally never really wanted my own biological children, I had every intention of adopting. Now, I'm here and pregnant. 1/4 of the time I worry that she'll never have a brother or a sister. Then the other 3/4 of my brain kicks in and thinks rationally and reminds me that there is no way I want to do this again! I feel guilty because she'll probably grow up as an only child, and I know I'm only 20 but I really just have no desire to be pregnant again in my lifetime at this very moment. I also don't see myself in a situation anymore to adopt any time in a nice while.

Honey, I never wanted children AT ALL! Nope, I was one who was going to have a career and not have children tie me down.

The love of my life came around at 29 and then a cervical cancer scare at 30 changed me. Then I was only going to have 1. My daughter was 3 months and I couldn't let her be an only child like I had grown up for most of my life. Thus, my son.

And, now another! LOL

Life does some strange things to you and it's amazing how much you change in 10 years.

However, I must admire you immensely for thinking of adoption. What a kind thing to do!

:hug:

I personally feel like if I were to have another kid when there are sooo many kids out there already who need homes, it would be selfish on my part. I'll have my biological child, so I don't see why I wouldn't help someone who needs it. Actually I don't understand why people who can afford to help dying children or children living in extreme poverty by bringing them into their homes and giving them access to food, clothes, shelter, education and love...I don't get why people don't want to do that. I've heard people say "oh I'd never adopt" when they have tons of money floating around. Makes me mad. I understand wanting to have your own, but wouldn't it be worth it to just even help one?

I wasn't planning on having any children, this one was quite a surprise..

I kinda think that it will be the only one. Age and a lack of partner are sort of against me.. lol..

Em

Well....I also never planned to have children.Ever.

But now I have Lola-Rose and I am very happy with it.But I am sure,positive that I will never have any more children.
It's not so much the pregnancy,I actually like pregnancy but having a child in general.
People say to me that I am too young to decide this but I just know that she will be my last child.

I don't feel bad about not being able to give her a brother or sister.I mean it is different from person to person and many people were only children and had perfectly happy childhoods.

But IF at any point in my life down the road I feel broody or meet someone new to spend my life with (it's kida hard for me to imagine that too) I will adopt.

:D

Well my lil man has already got a half brother but I would like to have another one myself because I'd like to have a lil girl but we shall see all depends on a future other half.

xx

We'd like another. I've rarely met an only child who is comparatively selfish (no offence!) and think there are many benefits to having siblings. I grew up in a family of 4 though and we were always so poor that I'm afraid I don't really want more than 2 so we can afford to manage (we're neither of us high earners nor likely to be in our careers oaths). If I ignore the whole emotional thing I don't much agree with more than 2 for environmental reasons, any more and you are adding to overpopulation, but 2 replaces you and OH.

I think it's great to adopt, my Auntie and Uncle adopted all 4 of their kids (and from all over the world as they emigrated a lot). But I understand that for most people it's not about money and what they have the means to do but about the biological drive to reproduce and need to have your own. Some people would just find it hard to adopt and maybe wouldn't love the children right.

I think if we had found out we couldn't have kids we would look at adoption. I'd like to think we'd consider it before IVF but we've not been tested (so far anyway).

I only want one bubs .. Jayden will be my spoilt little baba lol xx

im pregnant with my second and have said no more if have a boy as already have a daughter but if we have another girl then prob try for a boy again.

Who knows what the future holds? I think if I had the financial means I'd quite happily have a large family, at least 4 or 5 kids. But realistically I'd like to have at least 2. Although I don't think it's always a terrible thing to be an only child. I have 3 older half brothers, but there's an age gap of between 11-18 years, so I grew up pretty much on my own, and I turned out ok! lol
What I really hope to do, once my bubs is a bit older, is become a foster carer. I've always wanted to do this, way before I even thought about having kids of my own.
xx

I'm in a weird place with this question. I have an issue with having 2. So I'm thinking we will either stop with this one OR have 2 more (for a total of 3).

I was one of two children and lost my brother 5 years ago. Becoming an only child after being the youngest of 2 has been the hardest adjustment of my life. Now I feel like my baby either needs to grow up an only so it's "normal" OR have a couple siblings so that if something happens to one of them (heaven forbid) they would have a sibling to help them through.

Of course, I'm getting up there in age so I'm not sure if I can physical have many more, so maybe adoption would have to be an option at some point.

Here's a question for Rae and Amy. You say you don't want anymore biological children. What if that special someone comes into your life and marries you and wants children with you?

You are both still so young and you never know what may happen in the next years.

Rae, bless you for wanting to adopt. It's fabulous that you would want to do that!

Why only us?
Rachel said that too! :lol:

It's really hard for me to think about it now,you know? Meeting someone to spend my life with and having children with him...
So,I guess I'll just be blowing that bridge when I get to it,if I get to it....

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"