Opinions on baby girl's name

October2013

Mommy to a baby girl
Reaction score
It's still quite early to decide on anything, but I wanted to get your opinions on these two names that are currently in the running...

I like Aubree, and my bf likes Amelia. Either way the middle name will most likely be Elizabeth.

I really only like Aubree because of the way it sounds. Aubree means "elf power" (LOL) which is a little silly to me, but I don't care. The only thing I really don't like about Aubree is that it sounds like "Audry", which is the name of my grouchy old stepsister, and I just don't much care for that name (I mean no offense to anyone with that name!)

My bf likes Amelia because of it's meaning (hardworking leader) and also Amelia Earhart. I don't care too much about name meanings in general, or Amelia Earhart. And even though I am the one who originally suggested Amelia, because I think it's pretty, I just don't "feel" it, if you can understand that at all? :shrug: I think Amelia is also a popular name, and I'm trying to avoid something too common.

Amelia has many nicknames, like Amy, Emily, Mia, and Mimi. Aubree doesn't really have any...except maybe "Aubs".

So, what do you ladies think of Aubree Elizabeth, or Amelia Elizabeth? Too be honest, I don't love either one of them, but I'm not really finding any name I love yet.

Aubree Elizabeth flows much better and I like the name Aubree a lot. I dont particularly care for Amelia and I never look at name meanings. I mean I doubt anyone would ever hear the name Amelia and think oh, she must be a hardworking leader, lets hire her lol.

Also, I knew a girl named Aubree and everyone called her Bree for short. I think Bree is very cute as well.

Aubree Elizabeth flows much better and I like the name Aubree a lot. I dont particularly care for Amelia and I never look at name meanings. I mean I doubt anyone would ever hear the name Amelia and think oh, she must be a hardworking leader, lets hire her lol.

Also, I knew a girl named Aubree and everyone called her Bree for short. I think Bree is very cute as well.

Bree! I didn't even think of that. :) Yes, I most def like Aubree better.

I'd stick to your guns...this may sound selfish to some but while my DH and I will compromise on a name, ultimately I am the mommy and have to carry the baby (and suffer through terrible ms and labor haha) and I will have the final say in the name. Don't settle bc you won't be happy saying the name it for the rest of your life!! I love Aubree and it sounds great w the middle name! My nickname is Brie (spelled a little different) and I love it :)

I'd stick to your guns...this may sound selfish to some but while my DH and I will compromise on a name, ultimately I am the mommy and have to carry the baby (and suffer through terrible ms and labor haha) and I will have the final say in the name. Don't settle bc you won't be happy saying the name it for the rest of your life!! I love Aubree and it sounds great w the middle name! My nickname is Brie (spelled a little different) and I love it :)

To an extent I definitely agree with this, ESPECIALLY because she is going to have my bf's last name. Growing up, my last name was different from my mom's because I had my father's last name, and when my mom and dad divorced she took her maiden name back. It always bothered me to not have the same last name as her, as she was the one who soley raised us. So it already bothers me that my daughter and I won't have the same last name, unless my bf and I get married, which we have no plans to do anytime soon. :(
The middle name Elizabeth comes from my mom's side of the family, but to be honest, I don't even want that as the middle name. I just feel obligated to have it because it goes back six generations.

Well ladies, I feel discouraged. I called my mom to tell her the two running names. She was all about Amelia, but not Aubree. She said that Aubree could be a boy's or a girl's name, and she said, "Well Audry is a girls name".... :sulk:

While that may be true, and I don't care about having a unisex name, I've never met a boy named Aubree, so I really don't think of Aubree as a boy's name at all.

I like Amelia better because I prefer more classic names. Where I am right now they at enough fairly common.
I use this for names sometimes because it tells me how popular a name is and there's a ton of ideas

https://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Alberta_Top_Babies_Names.cfm

If you do a google image search on Aubree I don't see any males. Anyway, at the end of the day you should choose a name that you like. My mother doesnt care for Zoe and can't stand Quinn or the fact that I am giving the baby a middle name at all and I chose Quinn because I want her nickname to be Q (like from Star Trek, because I am a super dork) and I like calling her Zoe-Q.

Personally I love the name Elizabeth and would have used it myself but his sisters name is Elizabeth and there is also someone I don't care for with that name and it just kinda bugged me but I love the name itself.

I think you should go with what you like and who cares what anyone else thinks. DH's family can be traced back to the 1700s in the US on his mothers side and they have a name thats been used in their family since then. Well, one for males and one for females and screw that. I think both names are horrible and I refuse to use either one and I don't care how offended his family gets. Our baby our decision!

I like Amelia better because I prefer more classic names. Where I am right now they at enough fairly common.
I use this for names sometimes because it tells me how popular a name is and there's a ton of ideas

https://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Alberta_Top_Babies_Names.cfm

Thanks. :)
I see Sophia is high on that list. I like Sophia but I know so many of them and it's so popular. :sad1:

I love Aubrey Elizabeth. I really like the name Aubrey in general and it would be in the running for me too if I didn't know someone with the name already.

Either are pretty but I vote Aubrey. :) Bree and Aubs are both cute nicknames!

I like Amelia, personally. But, that's one name I wanted for my little girl, and DH shot me down! lol

Another nick-name for Aubree could be "Bree."

EDIT...just saw some people already mentioned that! Ooops!

Aubree is beautiful and by no means remotely a boys name. We used to bounce names off other family members and close friends but OH and I agreed we are not going to do that anymore because you simply will not be able to please them all.

I have always been attracted to the name Bree and tried hard to find a good name with this in it and the only thing I could think of was Brielle. We won't be using that name tho because we have pretty much decided what our baby girls name will be.

Like others have said tho...don't ever just settle on a name. When you see a name you love, you will know. The hard part is finding a name you and your bf love equally lol

Well ladies, I feel discouraged. I called my mom to tell her the two running names. She was all about Amelia, but not Aubree. She said that Aubree could be a boy's or a girl's name, and she said, "Well Audry is a girls name".... :sulk:

While that may be true, and I don't care about having a unisex name, I've never met a boy named Aubree, so I really don't think of Aubree as a boy's name at all.

This is precisely the reason DH and I won't be sharing the name we choose with anyone (at least anyone we know in person) until the baby is born. There is no name that every single person is going to like, and I don't care to hear people nitpicking the names we are considering. It'll be much harder for people to complain about a name once it's already been given to our child. ;) Don't worry about what others think! Choose the name YOU like!

This is precisely the reason DH and I won't be sharing the name we choose with anyone (at least anyone we know in person) until the baby is born. There is no name that every single person is going to like, and I don't care to hear people nitpicking the names we are considering. It'll be much harder for people to complain about a name once it's already been given to our child. ;) Don't worry about what others think! Choose the name YOU like!
This is a very good idea...

Aubree is beautiful and by no means remotely a boys name. We use to bounce names off other family members and close friends but OH and I agreed we are not going to do that anymore because you simply will not be able to please them all.

I have always been attracted to the name Bree and tried hard to find a good name with this in it and the only thing I could think of was Brielle. We won't be using that name tho because we have pretty much decided what our baby girls name will be.

Like others have said tho...don't ever just settle on a name. When you see a name you love, you will know. The hard part is finding a name you and your bf love equally lol

LOL That's definitely the hardest part.

The only thing that mattered to me was that my fiancé liked the name we chose. We had names for either a girl or a boy ready to go when we found out. I've already had several people make comments about how we should switch the first and middle name, or did we ever think about "xyz", blah, blah, blah. My fiancé and I both just say "when you have your next son, you should name him that."

I doubt your mom will pick your beautiful daughter up after she is born and say "it's just too bad you don't have a real girl's name!" I agree with the others saying to go with a name that feels right to you. For some, that means naming it after family, for others the name has to be unique. Whatever your reason, no one else gets to say!

I dont know about you but Ive NEVER heard of a boy named Aubree. :haha: I LOVEEEEEEEEE it!!!! I say go for it, its beautiful.

From 1991 (don't have data from before that) Aubree has been used for girls 100% of the time.

https://www.nameplayground.com/aubree

I love the both names so can't help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"