opinions on making babies bottle

I premake 4 at a time but If i'm out i take a sterilised bottle and a carton and at night i put a bottle upstairs in a cool bag with an ice pack which keeps it very cold, and one of those tommee tipee flasks with hot water to warm it up.

I make three up at a time, I put 4oz of water from the kettle into the bottle then put them in the fridge, once he's ready for the bottle I top it up to 7oz with boiling water and put the formula in and its the perfect temperature for him, just slightly lukewarm. So much easier at night x

He will have them at room temperature tho so if I'm out for the day I just pre-make the 7oz bottles with formula

Didn't know they had to be kept in the BACK of the fridge :blush:

I pre-make. I am confused about filing them with powder with the boiled water in the fridge?

I boil the kettle, leave to cool for 30mins, make up with water and formula, leave on worktop to cool and then transfer to fridge.

LO is 8weeks old and spews sometimes but the way I make the bottles obviously does her no harm.

All bottles are used within 24 hours.

I use cold water from the tap. Put it in the microwave for 25 seconds. Add formula. Shake. Feed baby.

Ive always made the bottles as I went. Even at night. Its not that hard. I used to use bottled water, room temp and then just add the water, then formula, and boom.
Now I use filtered water from the sink. Its a little warmer, which he likes.
Works for me!

I used to fill bottles up with boiled water and Then add the formula when he needed it. That way the water is sterile and the formula hasn't been sat in it for ages. It also means the bottle is at room temptreture which is ideal. But if they like it warm just pop in it some warm water :) x

This is how I do it. :flower:

Ditto!

ETA: When she got older, we just used water from the tap straight into her bottle.

We boil the water pre-fill each of our mixing bottles to the right oz amount, in addition to filling a sterilized stainless steel water bottle with the extra. When we need to make a bottle, we put the formula into our pre-filled mixing bottles to shake and then transfer to the main bottle we are using - this gets rid of excess foam which can contribute to gas (we spoon off the remaining foam).

We do not heat our formula - LO has always received it at room temperature with no problem. This was a tip from a book I read and it is a huge time saver.

When we go out we take a main bottle and the little mixing bottles prefilled with boiled water. We have a sterilized travel sized container for formula and use old formula scoops to measure out our powder amounts.

Tip: The playtex dropins are good for many reasons one being - the sheaths are pre-sterilized you just pop them in.

It sounds complicated but its really easy once you have a system and if you keep on top of your boiling and bottle washing.

:flower:

i do mine 2 at a time and just fill with boiled water to 2oz less than what buba will take. So 5oz if hes on 7oz bottles. Then I top it up with fresh boiled water when hes ready to be fed...means the water should be a good temp and no waiting about!!x

By the sounds of thigns this is totally worng but we've NEVER had a problem at all. We boil kettle and have sterilised bottles ready and 15 mins after it's boiled (so that it's still above the 70 degrees mark) we make up 5 bottles. 3 smaller ones for in the day as she is eating food now & 2 larger ones of hungry milk for her bedtime bottles. We make sure that we only make enough for 24 hrs and if any go unused within 24 hrs we throw those away.

We run some cold water in the sink and put those freezer packs in the water (the ones that go in cooler bags) so that the water is really freezing cold. When the bottles are made up (usually take 5 mins) we put those flat lids on them instead of the teats. make sure they are tight and put them into the frezzing water and they rapid cool within 5 minutes or so and then they go into the back of the fridge (where it's coldest).

When it's time to eat we take a teat out of the steriliser and put it on the bottle and the heat it up in the microwave (the reason they say not to microwave is in case people do not shake the bottles properly and bubba gets burnt. we always shake the bottles slowly then fast to make sure their are not hot spots.).

This has been our technique from the beginning (well form about week 2 after many problems and panicks with bottle not made up and bubba screaming). It's always been fine and sh'e never been ill. Although we have only started using hungry milk at night over the last week.

x

By the sounds of thigns this is totally worng but we've NEVER had a problem at all. We boil kettle and have sterilised bottles ready and 15 mins after it's boiled (so that it's still above the 70 degrees mark) we make up 5 bottles. 3 smaller ones for in the day as she is eating food now & 2 larger ones of hungry milk for her bedtime bottles. We make sure that we only make enough for 24 hrs and if any go unused within 24 hrs we throw those away.

We run some cold water in the sink and put those freezer packs in the water (the ones that go in cooler bags) so that the water is really freezing cold. When the bottles are made up (usually take 5 mins) we put those flat lids on them instead of the teats. make sure they are tight and put them into the frezzing water and they rapid cool within 5 minutes or so and then they go into the back of the fridge (where it's coldest).

When it's time to eat we take a teat out of the steriliser and put it on the bottle and the heat it up in the microwave (the reason they say not to microwave is in case people do not shake the bottles properly and bubba gets burnt. we always shake the bottles slowly then fast to make sure their are not hot spots.).

This has been our technique from the beginning (well form about week 2 after many problems and panicks with bottle not made up and bubba screaming). It's always been fine and sh'e never been ill. Although we have only started using hungry milk at night over the last week.

x

i used to premake 6 when he was younger as went through about 12 a day xx

I've been premaking but I am starting to think about doing it some of the way the ladies do it on here... For a 4 oz feed, Boiling the kettle, adding 2oz to bottles, popping in the fridge & then adding 2oz of fresh boiled water from kettle & powder when lo wants her milk. I'm thinking this means there is less chance for bacteria to grow as it's a halfway point to making fresh.

I use one blue flask (for boiled cold water), and a red flask (for boiled water). It works perfectly. I use the formula dispenser and measure out all my feeds for the next day. At night I keep the bottles, dispenser and flasks by my bedside and it's quick to make up a bottle. Mostly do this in the day though as I'm still breastfeeding DS morning and night x

So glad for this thread.
One of my baby books said you must boil up water and add formula and then cool. Which seems impractical for my LO screams and screams when he is hungry.
Another said you could pre-boil water put the bottle in the fridge and then add the formula when needed. That seemed much more practical especially when out and about.
Generally I take a bottle out the fridge an hour or so before he's due a feed so it's at room temperature - which is how he likes it (though as he is a guzzling little thing he'll drink it cold from the fridge too but tends to have a breathy oooooohhhh at the first sip before settling into it).
But as noted all our mothers used to pre make up formula bottles and keep them in the fridge until ready - and as far as I'm aware there was no great baby plague of bacteria inspired deaths....

I pre-make. I am confused about filing them with powder with the boiled water in the fridge?

I boil the kettle, leave to cool for 30mins, make up with water and formula, leave on worktop to cool and then transfer to fridge.

LO is 8weeks old and spews sometimes but the way I make the bottles obviously does her no harm.

All bottles are used within 24 hours.

U can rapid cool in ice cold water rather than leaving them on the bench to cool, probably safer :thumbup:

What i do is say im giving LO 180ml, i measure 100ml of cooled boiled water in a bottle and stick in the fridge, then when its feeding time, i boil the kettle, add the other 80ml straight to the 100ml and mix then add powder, is almost at the perfect temp to feed straight away (i usually stand in cold water for literally a minute), and this way is made fresh, but quick to serve and mixes well as the water is warm

Mothers have been making bottles with room temp or cool boiled water for years and years with no issues. I think its the WHO way of encouraging breast feeding tbh (not that its a bad thing)

All the tins of formula here say to use cool or lukewarm boiled water to make feeds

Our little girl has 7oz in her bottle. I make her bottles up in the morning with just 6oz of boiling water in (which are obviously left to cool). When she is due, i boil the kettle and add the extra oz of boiling in & the formula. So the bottle is just warm :)

I make the morning bottle the night before and do the same thing. She's been fine like this. If im going out, i just make the bottles to the full amount and by the time she is due the bottles have cooled down anyway, and i just take my milk dispenser and empty the formula in. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->