Opks when you work shifts - any advice?

July28th

Reaction score
HI everyone,

I was wondering if someone can give me some advice.

My husband and I tried for a baby for about a year and a half, a few years back. I've never had a bfp. We had some tests back then, and the Dr didn't find any issues. Since then, due to my work, we've stopped trying.

We're due to be ttc again from August again, and I've just come off the pill. Obviously I don't know whether it'll happen, but I want to give ourselves the best chance.

When we tried last time, I didn't temp, and used opks some cycles but not all the time.

Now my problem is - how do you track ovulation when you work shifts?

My shifts cover all hours of the day. So as I understand that means temping is out cos it has to be done the same time every day?

Does anyone know if you can still use opks at different times of the day? I'm just scared I'm gonna keep missing ovulation.

Thanks if you got this far, and thanks for your help in advance!

Wishing everyone a quick and sticky bfp xx

hun you can use OPKs whenever you wish. I work 12 hour shifts over a 24 hour rotating period and i use OPKs just fine. Just get used to using them at work unfortunately
With regards to temping, you can still temp. You just need to makes ure you get 3 hours sleep before taking your temp and it doesnt matter what tiem of day, just put in what time you actually take it and if it is different to your "normal" time it will give you an open circle instead of a blue one. My charts look ok even when I do nights.
All the best of luck xx

HI I work shifts covering from 5.30am - midnight , sometimes i never even saw my OH for days thats why i didnt temp. I did use OPKs at different times of day/night and they were fine. ONly issue i had with OPKs was with the clearblue digital ones where i seemed to get "high" fertility but never "peak" Although i continued to buy these I always used cheaper ones along side them.

Thank you both so much for replying so quickly, it's really appreciated and encouraging too.

Unfortunately there's no way I'd be able to use opks at work, but i'll just keep trying at whatever time of day I can, and try to keep it as close as I can within each cycle.

That's interesting about the temping. I don't know know if i should even try it. Some days I get up at 5am, others 9am, 11am, or 4pm, and most hours in between.

Thanks for your replies xx

to use my temping as an example - most says i temp at 0430am, but when ive done night shifts i dont wake up until around midday. my charts still show a pattern. Maybe give it a couple of cycles. hopefully you wont have to event hink about temping

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->