Oral Thrush

weejenb

Reaction score
hi all,

Well, I'm pretty sure the wee man has oral thrush. Yesterday he was so fussing with his feeds, only taking a few oz before pulling away/thrashing his head around, which is so unlike him. He's just generally been grumpy the past gew days, and today I spotted tell-tale white patches in his mouth and gums. Phoned the HV who advised a trip to the pharmacy but no joy, they wouldn't give me anything as they can't give anything without a GP prescription unless they're 4months+. So back on the phone to the HV, who thankfully got the GP to write me a prescription, which I've just picked up. Its Daktarin gel, to be given four times a day after feeds. Anyone else used it, and find it worked well?

HV also advised to bin all our dummys and buy new ones...!

DS2 had thrush when he was a few weeks old.

He was prescribed drops by GP, not sure on the name, but they cleared it up within a week or so.

Hope your LO is better soon :flower:

My LO has had oral thrush about 4 times! Mainly because he's been on a lot of antibiotics since he was born. When he was tiny they gave us nystatin drops which weren't that easy to give and didn't seem to help that much. Last time we were given daktarin gel which I think is brilliant! Works really quickly and LO seems to like it as it tastes (well smells anyway!) like oranges �� He opens his mouth really wide for it!

Last time I asked for some to put in our cupboard so it's there if ever we need it!

Hope your LO feels better soon x

My DS had thrush at birth. Our doctor recommended Gentian Violet - a purple dye - which you apply directly to the mouth with a cotton swab. We didn't need a perscription and were able to buy it over the counter. It turned DS' mouth purple, but it cleared up the thrush. We only had to apply it once a day for a week. Our doctor didn't say anything about throwing out his pacifier either.

Hope your little one feels better soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->