organ donation - opt-out system

marley2580

Reaction score
Wales is going to introduce an opt out system for organ donation https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-15625285 I think this is great myself, but wondered what others thought.

I'm 100% for it. I also think to accept an organ you need to have been on the list. If you opt out then you also opt out of receiving.

For me personally i think it depends on what organs they take I wouldnt like the thought of myself or a loved one being stripped of everything. In cases where people dont mind i think its ok though.

I think its great, they have that system here. I think that often people would be happy to donate but just don't get around to getting a donor card etc so having donating as the default is better.

For me personally i think it depends on what organs they take I wouldnt like the thought of myself or a loved one being stripped of everything. In cases where people dont mind i think its ok though.

What organs would you not want to go? And why? Why do some organs have more sentimental value than others?

The only organ you have that makes you who you are is your brain and that can't be transplanted anyway :shrug:

Well they can take parts of your eyes which frankly id like to keep as personally i like the phrase the eyes are the window to the soul so i wouldnt like the mto be messed with but thats jus my beleif

I think its great a idea that should be put through, when it comes down to it nobody would refuse an organ so why should they be happy to take one and not give one? where do these organs that people accept come from? with an opt out system those that don't want to be on it can choose to whether its religious or personal. People are so afraid to talk about about death but really by shying away from the subject we've come to people dying every year waiting for an organ simply because we don't want to think about death/take the time to put ourselves on the list, whether you get cremated or buried your body as we know it will decay or be reduced to ashes, ashes and compost that could have saved someones life.

yes all for it, although I wouldn't want them to take my eyes but thats just me

I think this is the system we should have in place. If you don't want to donate then you can opt out but many lives would be saved due to the increased availablity of organs.

I think it is a great plan and agree with Blah, that if you opt out of donating you should be opted out of receiving.

My initial reaction was like I don't agree with an opt-out system mainly because someone else has decided for you what happens with your body when you're gone. I think now though, that given the number of people who die due to lack of organs, it would be a relatively good system, more so as I do believe there's people who want to donate, but might not be bothered to go through the whole registration.

One of my worries though is that there might be some people who might not fully understand what it means, etc and it needs to be made clear to everyone that they have been automatically entered into a donor register. But how will they do it?

Also, I also respect people's sentimentalities over theirs, or their loved ones organs. While I might be willing to give my organs away, if my child was to pass suddenly, the last thing on my mind would be donating, and I would hate to think that they just took the organs without me knowing. It is not a logical thing, but not everything has be logical to be valid, and I agree that people should be allowed to feel how they feel about not donating. x

My understanding is that it will only apply to over 18s

But what about someone who was a drug addict or smoker how would the system be updated as I assume their organs wouldnt be used :shrug:

I'm pretty sure the organs are all well tested before being transplanted

I'm not keen on the idea of organ donation, but I'm not sure why. Until I got pregnant, I was a regular blood donor, and will donate again once I'm not BFing anymore.

I think it's that blood is taken with my consent. When I'm dead, I can't consent.

It's not a rational thought, and I don't think I would opt-out of being a donor, but something about giving the state free reign over our organs after we die doesn't sit all that well with me.

I think it's brilliant and have been a registered organ donor for I can't remember how long... but like other posters have said, the only organs I have stated not to donate is my eyes.
I do feel they are a very individual thing, but other than that my eye sight is so bad that I'm not too sure they would use my eyes anyway..:shrug:

Hope no one I know ever needs a corneal transplant :\

I think it's more a lack of information about what is used of the eye for an eye transplant... and can anyone's eyes be used?

I say a lack of information - please read as lack of my own research...

I never knew that you could donate eyes. I don't mind that though, not like I'm going to be using them :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->