OT (a little) - Christening Advice? Anybody NOT and why? POLL

SabrinaKat

Delighted Mum to Finn
Reaction score
Hi,

Am struggling with possible christening issue -- my OH is Catholic and I'm Protestant and we can't meet in the middle, nor can my OH find a godmother (all his friends and close family are male!) on his side -- my brother is honorary godfather until christening or if we don't have one (if that makes sense)....Incidentially, absolutely NO pressure from family regarding christening, but in Ireland, it's more common than not, if that makes sense (not so much in USA where I live)....

I'm just curious -- did you have a christening or are planning one and why/why not....

Thanks

We aren;t having one. I am not religious and I would feel like a hypocrite saying things I don;t mean in Church. I want to leave it to my son to decide what if any religion he wants to follow. I have however said if it;s something my husband feels strongly about I will do it for him but he is not particularly bothered. The in laws are though and they keep mentioning Christenings. Might leave it to hubby to tell them there won;t be one!

Both me and hubby were brought up attending church every week, but we have only been once in a blue moon since we got married. I'd feel like a complete hypocrite having LO christened. Family haven't mentioned it, which I take to mean that they agree it would be hypocritical.

I'm not of any religious background, and neither is my family. DHs family is, however.

We just decided no. His family weren't too impressed in the beginning but I won't be pushed into something we just don't mean

I am a Christian but I am passionately against christening my children because I believe that being a Christian is a personal choice and a lifestyle you choose to follow not something that can be bestowed upon you by anyone. My oh is also Irish catholic and it would have been important to him but I told him before we were even engaged that any children I had would never be christened, and he understood why that was so important to me. As for his family, that's another story, their response was horrendous and has ruined our relationship x

I'm Catholic and my husband is Jewish, and believe you me there's no middle ground there :nope: For our wedding we had a civil ceremony followed by an interfaith blessing so we managed to get some spirituality in there, I would have loved to get married in a church but that was a no-go.
There's even less middle ground when it comes to religion and raising children when one is Catholic and one is Jewish. According to the Jewish faith it's passed through the mother, so me being Catholic means our children can't be Jewish. But DH is completely opposed to them being Catholic. In one way I understand, in others I feel a little annoyed by it because he isn't a practising Jew. He doesn't go to a synagogue or carry out the traditions. My faith seems to be more important to me than his is to him.
So no way to reconcile the two religions and there won't be a christening. My family are understanding. But I feel sad about it. I guess I knew how it would go from the minute we got together so I have to accept it really.

I've put havnt decided but I really don't think we will. I know some family would like it, but I don't personally believe being christened makes you a Christian and I would like my children to choose religion themselves when older if that's what they wish.

We'll be having one but its mostly cos its the norm...his parents are waiting impatiently for it but I think its for them too have a piss up. Has already caused arguments cos I have said I won't be drinking (shock horror).

We wont be christening as we are not religious.

but my parents are evangelical christians and instead of christenings they dedicate there children (did this for my little brother). This was just an act of them getting up in front of the church and saying that they will teach lo the christian life in hope that he can make the right choices in life and that God will look after him.

I think this is a nice inbetween ground for those of differing faiths as t allows the religious grandparents an actually event, includes the spirituality but ignore the actual specfic rituals or the different faiths, - hope that makes sense.

Hope u find something that works for u.

LO was baptised at 5 months roughly, both of us are Catholic, as are our families, we believe in it, so we did it :) Never occurred to me not to. The reception was a pain though! lol

I like the idea of the baby deciding when he is older, but being exposed in a gentle way to religion (e.g. God, the kindness of Jesus, and learning to be kind/compassionate) -- I like the dedicating idea that a previous poster had, but in my case -- I think it's either a christening or nothing....

Hopefully, not offending anybody by this topic as it's the ritual rather than the religion that I am curious about....

many thanks!

Oh is Catholic and Im a practicing Catholic, we had LO baptized at 6mths old.

Its a huge thing here and very much part of our lives as we all went to Catholic schools etc. My nephews Holy Communion is next year and i cant wait, its a huge celebration :happydance:

DH and I were both baptized, but he's an atheist now and I'm Pagan. I want Alex to choose if he wants to follow a religion. So, no, he won't be baptized.

Me and DH were brought up Catholic and go to church every week. It was important for us to get LO christened and bring him up as a Catholic, although when he is older it is his personal choice if he wants to continue with it and get confirmed. I believe it's down to personal choice but I personally don't understand why people get their LO christened just to have a "big party" as it so often happens. :shrug:

I was raised Catholic and my OH wasn't raised with a religion.

Our daughter hasn't been baptized and we have no plans at this point of doing that.

With our son they asked us in the hospital if we wanted him baptized and I said yes - I guess at the time it felt like the right thing to do.

We aren't... as we don't practice any particular religion. I do have faith and beliefs... but haven't been part of any organized religion since I was in High School (raised Christian). But my Mom never baptized me... she wanted it to be my choice when I was old enough to decide for myself.

I think you just need to do what you feel is best for you and LO. I do have a friend who is not religious at all- but it was important to her husband and his family... so they had their LO baptized. As personally, she felt it was important enough to her hubby- and she didn't really mind either way.

Hope you can come to an agreement either way :)

We will be eventually! Me and my OH are both christened and would like LO to be christened too...she will be christened when I can be bothered to think about where! Our families live 45miles apart so no idea what I'll do. I won't be settling for anything but what I want and until we agree on somewhere we'll wait for the perfect time/place

:flow:

Yes Hannah well be baptized. I have never thought of never having it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->