OT (a little) - Christening Advice? Anybody NOT and why? POLL

Baptisim is needed as the reception of the other sacraments depend on it. My son would struggle to progress through the Catholic church without it and would not be able to go to a Catholic school. Also, since baptism removes both the guilt and the punishment due to Original Sin, delaying baptism until a child can understand the sacrament may put the child's salvation in danger, should he die unbaptized.

Don't believe any of that, sorry. Where does it say any of that in the bible?

Can you quote the scripture you have taken this idea from? Not arguing or being confrontational but never heard this anywhere in bible?:shrug: ps please be careful with your response as many who have lost babies on here may be slightly offended if you are to propose that their babas are not with God because they have not followed a man-written rule. X

If you had read my last response you would know where I got this from.
Im not going to apologise or be backed into a corner bacause of my and millions of others beleifs. People are easily offended on here so there is no need to be condescending and tell me to be careful.
There are many religions out there with laws and requirements about children, I dont see why Christianity should be torn to bits as it is in every other form of media. but i digress.

Didn't mean to single you out, so apologies if you felt that way :flower:

But my point is that it isn't a christian teaching for children to be christened. It's arguably catholic, but, as an OP said, if Christianity is to be a follower of the teaching of Christ, then I'm not sure where infant baptism fits into it all :shrug:

oh its fine, it just gets a little tiring sometimes. People take the piss constantly as Im a practising Catholic but ive never forced my religion on anyone, just want to practice in peace :flower:

I still maintain its to do with the schools it all started so young.Can i also point out that "Limbo" is a place of peace and happiness, babies do not suffer there and the Church is now saying perhaps the babies do go to Heaven but id need to look into it properly

https://voices.yahoo.com/pope-benedict-xvi-changes-catholic-churchs-stance-311194.html?cat=7 x
All christians get ridiculed for their beliefs so most know what its like :) That link doesnt work. Can i ask where any of that is in the bible tho? x

Baptisim is needed as the reception of the other sacraments depend on it. My son would struggle to progress through the Catholic church without it and would not be able to go to a Catholic school. Also, since baptism removes both the guilt and the punishment due to Original Sin, delaying baptism until a child can understand the sacrament may put the child's salvation in danger, should he die unbaptized.

Can you quote the scripture you have taken this idea from? Not arguing or being confrontational but never heard this anywhere in bible?:shrug: ps please be careful with your response as many who have lost babies on here may be slightly offended if you are to propose that their babas are not with God because they have not followed a man-written rule. X

Im not going to apologise or be backed into a corner bacause of my and millions of others beleifs. People are easily offended on here so there is no need to be condescending and tell me to be careful.
There are many religions out there with laws and requirements about children, I dont see why Christianity should be torn to bits as it is in every other form of media. but i digress.

But my point is that it isn't a christian teaching for children to be christened. It's arguably catholic, but, as an OP said, if Christianity is to be a follower of the teaching of Christ, then I'm not sure where infant baptism fits into it all :shrug:

oh its fine, it just gets a little tiring sometimes. People take the piss constantly as Im a practising Catholic but ive never forced my religion on anyone, just want to practice in peace :flower:

I still maintain its to do with the schools it all started so young.Can i also point out that "Limbo" is a place of peace and happiness, babies do not suffer there and the Church is now saying perhaps the babies do go to Heaven but id need to look into it properly

https://voices.yahoo.com/pope-benedict-xvi-changes-catholic-churchs-stance-311194.html?cat=7 x
All christians get ridiculed for their beliefs so most know what its like :) That link doesnt work. Can i ask where any of that is in the bible tho? x

Aw dang! Well here is my arguement for babies actually go to Heaven

Adult men and women have no excuse, for they know better (Rom. 1:19-20), but babies can not accept what they do not know, and therefore can not be held responsible.Jesus always accepts children and He indicates that in the New Testament several times. This was even found in the Old Testament when God refused to let the disobedient Israelites enter the Promised Land due to their unbelief. He does not, however, hold the children responsible for what the parents have done. God says in Deuteronomy 1:39, “…your little ones…your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go into it, and to them will I give it, and they will possess it.“ And Isaiah 7:16 speaks about children’s age of accountability speaking about young children saying, “For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good…”.

When the people were bringing their children to Jesus to be touched by him, His disciples rebuked the people but Jesus saw this and was very angry. He said, “Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. (Mark 10:14)” Just look at Kind David’s example of children not being accountable for their salvation in the event that they should die. King David, after having lost his infant child, declared in full confidence that he would most certainly see his child again, saying “He can not come to me, but I can go to him” (II Sam 12:23). God also plainly declares that "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I set you apart; ... O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me (Psalm 51:9). 

but here's about Limbo

https://www.cogwriter.com/limbo.htm

Not important. OH is muslim and i'm christian, neither of us are religious (OH is strict on no pork and circumcision but thats about it).

I feel most people, that i know anyway, do it for the money/presents/party. I'd say at 95% of christenings i've attended the child(ren) who has been christened have been sent home with a family member in the afternoon so the parents can get pissed.

Aw dang! Well here is my arguement for babies actually go to Heaven

Adult men and women have no excuse, for they know better (Rom. 1:19-20), but babies can not accept what they do not know, and therefore can not be held responsible.Jesus always accepts children and He indicates that in the New Testament several times. This was even found in the Old Testament when God refused to let the disobedient Israelites enter the Promised Land due to their unbelief. He does not, however, hold the children responsible for what the parents have done. God says in Deuteronomy 1:39, “…your little ones…your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go into it, and to them will I give it, and they will possess it.“ And Isaiah 7:16 speaks about children’s age of accountability speaking about young children saying, “For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good…”.

When the people were bringing their children to Jesus to be touched by him, His disciples rebuked the people but Jesus saw this and was very angry. He said, “Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. (Mark 10:14)” Just look at Kind David’s example of children not being accountable for their salvation in the event that they should die. King David, after having lost his infant child, declared in full confidence that he would most certainly see his child again, saying “He can not come to me, but I can go to him” (II Sam 12:23). God also plainly declares that "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I set you apart; ... O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me (Psalm 51:9). 

but here's about Limbo

https://www.cogwriter.com/limbo.htm

Thanks. Im not trying to attack your beliefs but i just like to focus on what the bible says as opossed to what many chrches teach. Alot just seem to accept what they are told rather than really research Gods word :)

That link basically states that 'limbo' is not a bible teaching.

I dont see any of those scriptures saying babies go to heaven but rather it supports the bible teaching that parents are accountable for their children, which voids infant baptism. I have never come across the teaching that ' all good people go to heaven' in the bible In fact it says that good king David (who had Gods approval) didnt ascend to the heavens (Acts 2:34) and that no man had ascended to heaven before Christ died for us (John 3:13) and many good faithful men and women lived before christ came to earth.

The bible says that eventually the "meek will posses the earth and live forever on it" (Psalms 37:9,11,29, Matthew 5:5, 2 Peter 3:13) and thats Gods kingdom is a government (kingdom means 'government' or 'rulership') that will rule over the earth and remove all human rulership which time has shown to be a failure (Daniel 2:44). A select few will " Rule as kings and priests with christ" to help form this 'government'(Revelation 20:6) but 'a great crowd" will live on a cleansed paradise earth free from all the problems we now face (Gods original purpose) and until the resurrection that the dead are simply sleeping and in Gods memory “For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all" (Ecclesiastes 9:5) ....but all thats a whole other discussion :)

Sorry! Back OT.....I still have not seen or heard anything that supports infant baptism. It just doesnt agree with what the bible says about baptism at all. Nor are the reasons behind it found in the bible.

If we do have one (I'm the original poster!), it will be a small family gathering not for the presents or party, but to welcome, bless, dedicate LO to the community (leaning towards a blessing, dedication)....which my parents are fine with....

oh, well -- let the doctrinal debate continue!

best wishes (I think!)

ps. somebody mentioned that I put 'no-not bothered and not important' in one group, sorry...I guess I should have written 'it's not important (to me), so I'm not bothered....

For our little one we had a naming ceremony. Was wonderful we coincided it with his 1st birthday so we had the ceremony in the morning and his birthday party with all his little friends in the afternoon was finished by half 5 and all the family we don't see often all came back to ours for a cuppa! Lol. Everyone commented on how wonderful it was and one person even said it was better than any Christening they had ever been to and was a refreshing alternative for people who want to do something to celebrate their child's birth but like me & DH are not religious! :flower:

Not for us... OH is technically a christian, but is non-practicing in any way, and im a big fat athiest :lol:

i believe that religion is discriminatory to far too many groups of people, and (to me) there is zero proof/reason behind believing in a book. I might as well worship Tolkien and study LOTR.

But thats just me i guess... ive never really 'got' religion, or saw the point.

If we do have one (I'm the original poster!), it will be a small family gathering not for the presents or party, but to welcome, bless, dedicate LO to the community (leaning towards a blessing, dedication)....which my parents are fine with....

oh, well -- let the doctrinal debate continue!

best wishes (I think!)

ps. somebody mentioned that I put 'no-not bothered and not important' in one group, sorry...I guess I should have written 'it's not important (to me), so I'm not bothered....

it was me who mentioned that, because it said cant be bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->