Other Peoples Opinions

Pops

Proud Mum & Wifey
Reaction score
How did other people in your family react to you using cloth?

I ask because I mentioned we were thinking about it and the responses I got were really negative with one actually being "well she will be in disposables when I have her" :wacko::dohh:

We should be used to those sorts of stupid comments by now what with our big crazy plans for a Home Birth but I thought that one was pretty special!

Have the people you leave your little ones with (i.e sisters, grandparents) been the same or have they just done the right thing and accepted it and got on with it!?

I should add that I couldn't give a rats backside and they won't change our mind but I just wondered if it was a common thought process!

xxx

:saywhat:

And to think it was only 20 years ago we were all in terry towelling nappies!

I came up against the same thing. Even from OH :dohh: I told him to piss off because I change all his nappies :lol: (Edward's that is...not OH :rofl:)

My mum called me a hippy among other things and I've been called "earth mother" and on a "weird environment kick" by others.

Don't care though :D

OH wasnt sure but he knows better than to argue when he knows Im set on something. My mum was dubious but once I showed her she was impressed. TBH most people think Im a bit nuts but all friends and family know me well enough to know if I decide something I stick too it.
None of them would try and make me put him in disposables, if they suggested he would have to be in disposables for them to look after him then they wouldnt look after him...end of!

I dunno what people think when you say "cloth nappies" to them now...I think many have visions of terries and pins with plastic pants!

My mum thinks they are great keeps telling all her friends about me using them - proud grandmother!! She even tried my wrap on yesterday and actually said it was comfy and would be great for short trips to local shop. (she is a pushchair person)

Everyone just kinda smiles and nods but I know they are secretly thinking 'weirdo...'
My gran loves them though, she was dubious at first but now she thinks theyre amazing and is trying to get all the pregnant people she knows using them.
whatever, doesnt bother me, you dont want to use cloth on her, dont have her at all then!
I just taught my family how to use them and got them involved and now its as normal as a sposie to them

My mum thinks they are great keeps telling all her friends about me using them - proud grandmother!! She even tried my wrap on yesterday and actually said it was comfy and would be great for short trips to local shop. (she is a pushchair person)

Sorry, I had visions of your mum trying on a nappy wrap and saying it was comfy!!! :rofl:

My mom was pretty amazed by it all, she had used cloth with my older brother but only prefolds as it's all they had. She thought all the new modern ones were cool and showed me some more folds to use with prefolds that I didn't know of. I think my in-laws might think we are a bit crazy lol, but they don't say anything about the cloth. They had no choice in whether to use cloth or not, it's all we allowed, and if they didn't want to then they wouldn't keep them...their choice. But they never had any issues, though they rarely kept him

I get a lot of people who tell me that I'll only make it a week and that I'm being silly (this is the nice way to put it, lol). A couple people have been converted once they see how far they have come. And my Grandma and my DH's Grandma are actually proud of us for using cloth. That felt awesome after hearing so many negative things! :)

sadly alot of people still think of the big terry towelling nappies when you say cloth nappies, I'd suggest showing them a few, they will soon see the difference!

Also I wouldn't allow the 'well she will be in sposies when we have her' YOUR her mummy, what you and boyo say goes,

If you decide to stick with cloth and they give you hassle I can give you some lovely scary facts about sposies to get them off your back hehe :haha:

Also I wouldn't allow the 'well she will be in sposies when we have her' YOUR her mummy, what you and boyo say goes,

Second that! There would be hell to pay if someone specifically didn't follow my wishes when it comes to my little man. :haha:

sadly alot of people still think of the big terry towelling nappies when you say cloth nappies, I'd suggest showing them a few, they will soon see the difference!

If you decide to stick with cloth and they give you hassle I can give you some lovely scary facts about sposies to get them off your back hehe :haha:

Oh God don't worry! No one but no one will be deciding what our girlie wears other than me and Boyo! They know better than that! If I ever went back to get her and they had put her in a sposie that would be the last time they had her!

I might just have you send me them facts over so I am ready for next time :haha:

xxx

Oh God don't worry! No one but no one will be deciding what our girlie wears other than me and Boyo! They know better than that! If I ever went back to get her and they had put her in a sposie that would be the last time they had her!

I might just have you send me them facts over so I am ready for next time :haha:

xxx

no problem :haha:

My mum was impressed, my sis too. If i got the 'sposies when she's with us' comment I'd reply with 'well, cloth or you dont have her, not your decision to make, I'm her mummy'. Also, I wouldnt give a s*&% if anyone said that to me as I've only left ds (2yrs) with my parents for 2hrs when I was getting my hair done & never want to leave him with the MIL as I cant trust her to do as I say - shes the type to give him boiled sweets etc!!. As for my new lil lady, it'll be aaaggggeeesss b4 I leave her with anyone & it doesnt bother me one bit :D

I came up against the same thing. Even from OH :dohh: I told him to piss off because I change all his nappies :lol: (Edward's that is...not OH :rofl:)

:rofl::rofl:!!

We haven't really had any negative comments as such, just people don't think we'll stick to it.. DH's mum gave us some liners to try out, from when SHE cloth diapered DH's older sister (gave up after a while because of the smell :lol:) so she's supportive for us trying it...I just don't think people think we're gonna like it/keep at it.

To be honest it would be much easier if we had our own washer (at least!) & maybe dryer, but even if we part-time cloth dipe until we can really get into it, it's a start!! :)

xx

P.S Part of the reason I'm drawn towards the hybrid dipes is so that when she IS with other people/being babysat, we have the option to provide a disposable alternative... But otherwise, how difficult is it to just shove the dirty cloth dipe into a wet bag for me to deal with when we get her back?

i decided when i was pregnant that i wanted to use reusable nappies, most people i told scoffed and gave a knowing smile, saying yeah whatever, see what happens when the baby's actually here.

ha to them all ! they're all now really impressed that i'm still using and loving them - and i've managed to convert a few people too :happydance:

I didn't bother telling anyone as couldn't be bothered hearing ppl's comments; so ppl just saw them when they visited if I was changing my kids. Same w/ baby carrying etc; I don't tell ppl what I plan on doing - I just do it lol. Makes it easier, ppl usually won't make comments that way as they see it's something u're already comfortable with so it's not their place to judge and too late for them to give their opinion lol.

I've had the same comments about why are you bothering etc, and strange looks when I say I use them but I shop people and there really surprised how much they've changed!

I have asked everyone who look's after izzie to use cloth and they all have, although my mum has tried several times she can't get on with them so supplies disposables and I let her use them on izzie.

Overall though everyone loves them and when my mum has her I still use a cloth nappy in th morning before going to work (which bless her she put her in cloth all day as she knows I prefer it)

my mum shows them off more than eye do :rofl:

but others like younger cousins look at me like im mad, then they go change a stinky sposie full of jelly crap

I've not really had any negativity. My MIL was surprised at how good they after initially raising an eyebrow but not daring to actually say anything :lol:

My mum loves them as does my sister. OH wasnt sure at first. He's a geography teacher (as you know) and so he was sceptical about the eco credentials. But after moving to soap nuts for washing and seeing them in action he was sold. He was almost horrified at the thought of us using disposables on holiday!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->