Other than uniform what do I need to get for school?

MrsT&Ben

Reaction score
Hi All,
My little boy starts school in September and I wondered what else i need to send him to school with other than in his uniform and a lunch bag!
Do I need to buy things like a pencil case etc? Help. This is my first child and I have no clue!
Thank you

The school should give you a list. At ours you needed

Uniform
PE Kit
Book Bag (a school one that they take in every day and contains their reading books etc)
PE Bag
A water bottle they take in every day
Lunch Bag (if having packed lunch)
Wet play stuff that stays in the classroom (mine took in pencils, a pad and a colouring book)
Wellies (in case they got to the outside classroom after it has rained)
A raincoat (in case it rains)

Mine hasn't given me a list but at the open evening they said we needed wellies to keep at school as well as a raincoat and waterproof trousers.

I'm not going to get him a rucksack, just his bookbag. He won't need lunch because of free school dinners. He'll also need a water bottle to take in each day, but I think that's it.

If they need pencils etc is like to think they'll let me know somehow!!

Ours didn't have to take pencils etc in as they were all provided and avoided things getting lost.

My LO starts school in September as well. He needs uniform, pe kit with plim soles that stay in school, raincoat and winter hat, school bag that holds a4 file, pencil case with triangular pencils, sharpener, rubber and colours (school provides these for class but needed for homework). Think that's it :) really nervous about it

ThanksaAll. There was No list of other things just about school uniform and PE kit. I'm going on the presumption he wwon't need anything else! I'm sure they'll let me know.... I'd not even registered that he wouldn't need a lunch bag! Ha baby brain really kicking In!

For my kids' school it's just :

water bottle
indoor pumps
uniform
P.E. kit
and lunch if you're giving a packed lunch

and in summer they also advise you provide a sunhat and suncream (non spray)

Don't you guys have like an orientation day where mom and child go... This is normally where they hand out lists and such and a chance for your LO to meet kids in their class... So,etimes lists are sent to you through the mail... Maybe call the school and ask when they open.

I would also have a spare set of clothes in his bag, just incase

Don't you guys have like an orientation day where mom and child go... The gs is normally where they hand out lists and such and a chance for your LO to meet kids in their class... So,etimes lists are sent to you through the mail... Maybe call the school and ask when they open.

He's been in for his hour and a half session and we've had a meeting in the evening and that's the lot! We got given an information pack but it didn't mention anything other than uniform and PE kit.

For Callums he needs -

School uniform
Library bag and homework bag (luckily hes already got these from nursery)
P.E bag and p.e kit (that comes home every half term to wash)
Spare set of clothes

I'm glad you asked this as I was wondering too. We only got a 20min chat at 3:15 one day by the Headmaster and that was our lot - you were fine if your child already attended the nursery as they got a 1hr session too..

I don't even know what class DD will be in nor the name of her teacher as one has decided to leave... I tried calling and no one answered. Emailed and not heard a sausage. I'm not impressed but apparently my stds are too high according to many. How is knowing what class your child is going to be in, too high of a std???

Earl's school ask for:

PE Kit in a named bag to hang off their peg
Wellies for wet days
Sun hat for hot days
Book bag, coats and lunch box if they have packed lunch - these are to be taken home daily.

No stationary to begin with but they will send a letter home after Christmas which is when we will need to start sending a small pencil case with them. We're advised to have stationary at home ready for homework/home projects which is HB Pencils, colouring pencils and pens, ruler, rubber and plain paper.

I'm glad you asked this as I was wondering too. We only got a 20min chat at 3:15 one day by the Headmaster and that was our lot - you were fine if your child already attended the nursery as they got a 1hr session too..

I don't even know what class DD will be in nor the name of her teacher as one has decided to leave... I tried calling and no one answered. Emailed and not heard a sausage. I'm not impressed but apparently my stds are too high according to many. How is knowing what class your child is going to be in, too high of a std???

Your standards are not too high. I was under the impressions that at least knowing what your child's teachers name would be would be the minimum. We've met his teacher twice and I have a one to one appointment with her booked for September before he starts. I would keep trying and then if not call the council education offices and get some more contact numbers or get them to chase. I would not be impressed.

Emma's school have just advised to bring a water bottle, she is having school meals so I won't need to worry about lunch.

From what I've noticed (I used to pass the reception notice board on the way to the nursery) they are advised to bring sun hats, sun cream, rain jacket, and wellies, depending on the time of year.

No mention of stationery.

Your standards are not too high. I was under the impressions that at least knowing what your child's teachers name would be would be the minimum. We've met his teacher twice and I have a one to one appointment with her booked for September before he starts. I would keep trying and then if not call the council education offices and get some more contact numbers or get them to chase. I would not be impressed.

I luckily know the Yr1 teacher so am hoping to get in touch with her this week and ask who is on the class lists. The school is superb but I have heard that their organisation is the thing that lets them down and the mngt team are airy fairy. Joy. Not being the airy fairy type, this drives me nuts. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->