Our Time Has Come!!!

AJ615

Reaction score
Yesterday my husband and I were excited to find that we have become pregnant! It has taken us a year and a half, a torturous year and a half.

Today is a Sunday, so tomorrow I will call and get in to see the Doc. I am so beside myself... I just want to call everyone and tell them! But... I have this adorable poem I want to get printed, which needs a due date... Which I don't have yet! Based on my last period, we estimate around Thanksgiving 2015! But will have to wait and see.

Here come the questions... What are some major Pregnancy Do's & Don'ts? The internet is full of some contradictory perspectives and I want to know what you have all learned. This is our first baby, so we haven't the slightest clue until we experience it. Thanks for all the help!

Congratulations!

The best advice I can give is to follow the guidelines etc moderately. Stressing over every little thing could become more of an issue than having a slightly runny egg or extra portion of fish etc. Your doctor will advise anyway. Most of all try and relax and enjoy the journey! All the best :)

Apparently don't drink green tea as it counteracts folic acid (which you need to take right away). I feel like this isn't on most of the usual lists I see online and it is important. I didn't know until I was already pregnant. And was drinking an iced tea with green tea in it when I read this! So I thought you may want to know so you don't make my mistake.

Congrats!

I think if you have a question in your head about anything it's just good to read lots about it. Ie the statement above that green tea counters the folic acids in your body is because green tea has caffeine in it which leaches your body of hydration and nutrients. The same can be said then for having a coffee or coke. I still drink green tea in the afternoon after lunch but I don't let it steep for an hour and I make sure I'm always well hydrated. Plus I take a type of folic acid (the bio-absorbable methyl-folate) that doesn't need to be processed by your liver in order to use it (having to process it first can really lower the actual amount you're getting from a pill).

I eat sushi, I live inland, we're not meant to have raw sushi but flash frozen is fine. So if you're on a coastal city ask first if the sushi is raw or frozen before you consume. It's about knowing WHY things are dangerous for us rather than following old wives tales or rules that seem just plain silly. Research and read lots.

ADHD and learning disabilities have been linked to low iron in pregnancy (wHO study published a few years ago). The pill form of iron is VERY hard to digest, my colleague was doubled over at work because she just went on prenatals with the cheap form of iron. Get the liquid, take it with OJ, don't consume milk or calcium for the next 6 hours while you absorb it. To get the min amount of recommended iron that a pregnant lady needs you'd have to eat 30 heaping plates of spinach and an aweful lot of red meat. Even iron from non-heam sources like spinach are hard to digest (red meat us the best but really, how much red meat do you eat-I'm lucky if I get it once/week) so just get the liquid stuff and grow that baby. Iron carries the oxygen on your blood cells so you can see how it might play an important role in baby's development

Those are my fav tips, sushi & iron. We don't need more ADHD kids in school and we can try our best to prevent things (although there are many contributing factors to these things aren't there). Good luck, don't stress, just read!

Congratulations hun :flower:

I would say research as much as possible on the things which are important to you.

To give an idea on a few things:
Food - no undercooked meats, raw fish or seafood, no runny eggs, no foods too high in Vit A like liver etc. Of course these are guidelines, some people choose to totally abstain from every 'non-recommended' thing, and others will take a calculated approach.

Alcohol - not recommended by the NHS, and if choose to drink stick to one glass or two over a week.

Medicines - I'm sure your GP will discuss with you for any regular medicines, but just research every over the counter medicine before you take it. The general consensus is paracetamol are fine.

Exercise - You're fine to continue exercising at a similar level to that before pregnancy, and lifting similar weights. Anything outside of your usual routine is generally a no, as your muscles are weakened in pregnancy.

Have a H&H 9 months xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->