Packing the bag

kmpssbl

Mother of 1, TTC for #2
Reaction score
Hello ladies!

So here I am, 34.5 weeks pregnant. I feel like everything is finally coming together (like the nursery), but I am rather confused about something...the bag! I've read it should be packed 4-6 weeks before you expect to deliver, and to leave it by the door and add things as you remember them. But my concern is this...
Everything I plan to pack is used on a daily basis! I really don't want to leave a bag full of stuff I use every morning/everyday in the garage. It just doesn't seem logical. Plus, we run a dog training and pet sitting company out of our home, so there are constantly dogs running around. This being the reason the bag would be in the garage.

So my question to all you ladies is this. When did you pack your hospital bag? How did you pack it before delivery? For those of you who have not delivered yet, how you are doing this? I'm such a planner, and I like things planned to a tee before they are done, so this is really bothering my OCD :nope:

Well for me, I packed an emergency bag. Really it was just babys first outfit, diapers, baby nail clippers and my birth plan. I had that above my closet when I was 30 days away. And really I just packed it as an "oh shoot we have to go now!" thing. But I agree that a lot of things I want to pack I use on the daily basis. So my plan is to wait till contractions start or water breaks. My midwife doesn't want me coming in till my contractions are 3 min apart and most women says they spend a good portion of there labor at home anyways. So I figured, why not spend that time waiting, packing! Great way to keep my mind off contractions. I have a list before hand, that I just go back and jot down as I remember things I want to add, that way if I'm too scattered brain while packing, I at least have my list. But this is just what seems easier for me

I plan to pack as minimal as possible, I don't want to haul around luggage while laboring or with a newborn once we get to come home. And I know DH would carry every item I pack, but I don't want to make him do that either:haha:

I plan to squeeze things for all 3 of us into one duffle and will probably do that sometime this week or next. I'm making a list that I'll stick to the handle of the bag that has checked off what's inside so I know what last minute items to pack - such as camera/charger and phones with chargers.

Items for baby can be packed now, swim clothes for DH and I as we're doing a water birth can be packed now. And I plan to just come home in pjs so I'll just toss in a pair that I love and some yoga pants and call it good.

There's nothing in mine which i use daily. I popped in a travel pack of deodorant and hair brush. Tooth brush and toothpaste. Otherwise it's just old track bottoms, some tops suitable for bf, baby clothes, nappies, food/snacks, pj's for me, light weight dressing gown, maternity pad's, present for dd from baby, maternity notes.

I thought the same thing for the last month! I finally decided to buy travel size toiletries (deo, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, conditioner) for me and dh, hair ties and a brush, two cheap pair of yoga pants and some comfy socks. I still need some shirts I can bf in but I don't have anything that would work yet! I've never been a fan of button down shirts and non of my other clothes are loose enough to pull down or aside!
for baby I packed a small typical diaper bag to keep in car as hospital provides just about everything but I want baby to be in her own clothes so I have 3 newborn sleepers, 3 0-3 sleepers (don't know what size she will be yet), a couple hats, a couple of my own receiving blankets, a blanket for trip home.
with my previous babies, I've always been in the hospital for at least three days.

Ive packed mine already as at risk of pre term labour.
As pp have said all the daily things I use ive bought in travel size x

I'm thinking about picking up a couple of cami's to wear for breastfeeding while we're at the birth center. Once we're home I'll just wear pj tops or one of DH's tshirts that'll be easy to pull up while just lounging at home.

I also am a bit of a planner. If I know I am going to do something, such as travel etc, I have about three lists and ready to go months ahead. It's the only way I can relax. So I started with my list making. As I have found things I can throw in I do so. We have lots of travel toiletries and extra stuff which helps. I don't plan on bringing a lot. But definite sanity saver has been the travel size stuff. Otherwise I would be obsessing that certain things aren't packed yet. Clothing wise I have packed stuff I am not wearing currently. I have it all in a temporary bag. Need to borrow one from parents that will fit the stuff better. It's bugging me a bit. The temp bag is sitting in the crib. I have a curious toddler and if it was accessible he would unpack it all. So I understand the need to keep things out of reach. If the garage seems less than convenient, maybe a closet or similar would work better.

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions! The travel-size toiletries is a great idea, not sure why I didn't think of that! I'll be sure to find those things in the next couple weeks. I suppose I could pack the baby's things for now too. No sense in waiting on those lol. When my sister had her first baby, her water broke in bed. She proceeded to laundry and take a shower before heading to the hospital, all while her husband was freaking out lol! I'm wondering if I can be so relaxed...That does seem like a good time to continue packing the bag though! I have a list the hospital gave me when I took the birthing class last weekend, so that helps.

Thank you! :)

Apparently I'm just a big slacker. I'm due on Wednesday and still haven't finished packing mine. :)

I've been planning my bag for a while. Haven't actually started packing, but I have just about everything bought and ready to go into the bag. I agree that travel sized toiletries are fantastic. That's what I took when I had DS. I'm taking just one nightgown as the first day I'll just be in a hospital gown. Didn't take one last time, and it was fine, but I'd like one this time. What I'm wearing to the hospital is what I'll wear home. I tend to pack very light no matter what. Of course the good thing is if I forget something, my parents live about a mile from my house and will most likely visit every day I'm there, so they can always pick it up for me.
I have everything for LO except a new diaper bag. I will probably pick one up this next month.
I just haven't figured out when to pack yet. I'm tempted to now, but I still have 9 weeks left. I'm having a C-Section, so no guessing on when she will arrive. I might just pack it now and store it in our bedroom closet.

Last time round I seem to remember we packed 3 bags, one for me, baby and DH. His contained mostly food and drink lol.

In the end it was a straightforward labour and we came home same day so most of the stuff was unused. Really need to crack on with it again though, def more complacent 2nd time round.

I've washed some baby stuff this week so should really start packing it!

My bag is almost packed! What kind of things do you need in there that you use everyday? For toiletries I just bought new stuff and popped it all into a wash bag. Will add my toothbrush and dressing gown on the day if I remember!

Everyday items I use: toothbrush/paste, hair brushes, deodorant, that kinda stuff. I will go get some travel size stuff though. I think that would be best. Maybe find myself a light gown, not sure though.

I packed three bags so I knew where everything was when I needed to get to it in the hospital and left mine and baby's in the car.

Mine
Toiletries
Camera & charger
Book
Lots of pants (underwear)
Over bump leggings for coming home (so comfy!)
Nursing vests x 2
Pads
Book

Baby
Nappies
Cotton wool (will take wet wipes this time!)
1x newborn outfit and vest
3x 0-3 outfits and vest
Scratch mitts
3x muslin squares
A blanket
A teddy

Daddy's bag
Change of clothes
Toothbrush
Camera & charger
List of other things we needed but couldn't pack yet (eg: phones & chargers, medical notes, fresh foods, hb cd)
List of who to call
Biscuits & flapjacks to keep him going!
CD player

I ended up being in hospital for 2.5 days before baby arrived and 5 days in total so I ended up with bottle of squash, my own decaf coffee and mug, hair dryer, pillow... We arrived with three bags and left with about 20! Haha!)

Good luck.x

ps: this time there will be four bags as I'll also take a few bits for my toddler (a toy for new baby to give her when they meet, and some kind of treat or gift from us as well as something to keep her occupied when she visits)

Think I'll call a removals truck to help us! ;)

I packed my sons things a couple weeks before he came. I didn't pack my bag until I was in labour. I had a long labour, it started Wednesday and I had my son on Sunday. I packed my hospital bag Sunday in the middle of the night and it didn't bother me at all. I hardly used anything from the bag anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->