Pain, bleeding, scan shows 'empty uterus' - but hCG still high

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
Hello, I'm very new to all of this - both the pregnancy thing and the talkboards thing. I have posted a similar message on mumsnet, so forgive me for asking the same questions twice if some of you are on both discussion boards.

I am not really sure why I am writing this post. It is, I think, sort of a way for me to deal with what is happening to me right now. This is like another person to talk to. (My partner is amazing, but he is just one person.)

Maybe too I am hoping that somebody else has gone through what I am going through and might give me some little ray of hope ... although I think I need to accept that that ray of hope is not very bright.

Anyway, my story ... I am/was five to six weeks pregnant. I started bleeding very lightly on Weds morning. My GP said not to worry too much and to wait and see ... Weds night I woke up with really bad cramps, like period pains, and there was loads more bleeding. It was fresh red blood.

I went to A&E, and they transferred me to the gynae unit in another hospital. The on-call doctor did an internal exam and said the cervix was still tightly closed so could be a threatened miscarriage.

I was admitted to the ward. Continued to be in pain (although this reduced with IV paracetamol) and lots more bleeding, but not really clots, just fluid.

They then did an abdominal ultrasound with a very full bladder (was desperate to pee!), and the sonographer said straight to the point "The uterus is entirely normal. If you were pregnant, then you've miscarried completely."

They then took blood and did an hCG test, but that was really high still. Now I am back home and have to go back tomorrow for another hCG test. The doctor explained that this is to see whether the hCG is still rising.

So now I am completely confused. If the scan showed an empty uterus, and I am bleeding and in pain, and also my breasts which were previously very tender have now stopped hurting, why are they bothering to see if the hCG is still going up? And if it is still going up, what on earth does that mean?

Is there any possibility at all that I am still pregnant? If I am, could all of what's happened to me mean my baby is damaged in some way? Is it more likely to be an ectopic?

I cannot believe how emotional I have been about this. Until we conceived (which admittedly took just eight weeks), my partner and I were very much 'Let's just see what happens', but now I think that I have miscarried, I cannot begin to explain how strongly I feel about everything. I just didn't think I would be that emotionally attached to a group of cells no more than half a centimetre wide.

I know so many of you on here have been through the horrible experience of miscarrying. I just wondered whether anybody else had had a similar experience to me ... and whether anybody had a positive outcome from it.

Thanks for reading all of this. Sorry it's so long:)

If its still going up maybe the scan was too early to detect pregnancy as 5~6 wks doesnt always show anything on scan so hence why they are checking your levels ...I will pray for you and hope it isnt how it looks
hugs Serina xxx

Aww hun im so sorry i dont know what to say but didn't want to read and run....

...I will be honest and say ive know ide, i wouldn't want to ramble on and either get your hopes up or upset you when i really have know idea.
Im sending you massive hugs and hoping that you ok xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope everything will be ok for you!, your in my thoughtsx
xx

If the levels are still rising and the uterus is empty it could indicate an ectopic pregnancy, which is what they may be looking for.

I'm sorry - I don't have any advice for you but just wanted to say that I hope everything is ok :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Yes i agree with arcangirl if the uterus is empty and your getting pain etc and your hcg still rising then could be eptopic ..

Hope everything works out for you and i am so sorry hun :hugs:

thinking of you hun. Sorry I can't give you any answers - didn't want to read and run. xx

Oh sweetheart, what a rotten time you are having. You are in my thoughts and hope your waiting is not too long xxx

Hun, Im sorry to say this but its more than likely you have had a miscarrige, It takes upto 6 weeks for your HCG levels to go back down to normal ):
x

If the levels are still rising and the uterus is empty it could indicate an ectopic pregnancy, which is what they may be looking for.
What Arcanegirl said hun

I had an ectopic where I experienced what you are right now and hcg levels that were rising or static but no sign of baby.

My ectopic was caught early due to the bleeding so although its no comfort right now if that is what you are experiencing they are doing right by continuing to check your hcg levels and if spotted early can stop many complcaitions that could happen if left unnoticed.

x

I have heard that with ectopics that cramping on the side is common.

God Bless, I will keep you in my prayers! I am so sorry for your loss! :-(

I agree with arcangel

I would definatly wait though. 5-6 weeks is very early. Too early to see anything even specially if you are 5 weeks or maybe you could have O's later and you could be roughly 4ish weeks. I had bad bleeding and cramps in my abdomen and bac around 4-5 weeks. I was sure I lost the baby because of the blood and cramping. My pregnancy seems to be ok so far.. Yes you can have an ectopic. Did they check anywhere else and not just youre uterus? There can still be hope. It can go either way though considering youre symptoms. (Ie Ecoptic, miscarrage or pregnancy that is just too early) I would wait it out awhile and keep getting seen until it is definatly confirmed. Too high of hcg can mean an ectopic. I will be praying for you

I am so sorry sweetie. Anything can happen, as you can see from everyone else's stories here. But I will be praying for you.

My First thought was ectopic i hope all works out..praying and hoping

I was 6 and a half weeks and you could still tell.
but it was with the wand/doppler thing
if they just did the tummy scan, they probably cant see anything for a few more weeks.

To update ... I went back for another hcg blood test this morning, and it came back showing a really low number. They say I have miscarried completely. I am very up and down. The practical side of me KNOWS that I miscarried for a reason and that it is for the best, but of course that doesn't help the other side of me, which cannot quite believe that I am no longer pregnant. I'll leave it at that, apart from to say thank you to all of you who sent me your kindest wishes on here. And I so hope that in a few weeks I can come back on here and tell a newer, happier story. Thank you again. XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->