Painful BH starting in bum/back?

Kiwiberry

Mommy to 3 beautiful girls & 2 adorable boys!
Reaction score
For the past few weeks I've been having them on and off, I did get a little worried at one point around 33 weeks but it turned out to.be nothing concerning. I know Braxton Hicks are normal and honestly I probably been having them since around 20 weeks. However ever since entering the third trimester they've been getting more and more painful. It's ramped up recently starting out in my back & bum, are these random contractions??

They do have a pattern to them at least once a day but it only lasts about an hour or two. The rest of the time it's just random.

I've been having loads more unusual pains this time round, I'm only 30 weeks but definitely noticing them. Usually I feel baby punch/kick downwards, a sharp jab of pain with that, then tight crampy feelings that are lower rather than across the middle, where I felt them last time. I'm presuming it's BH as they do go away eventually. I guess if they ever just keep going instead of easing, it's time to call in - especially with you being 36+! But yeah defs getting similar over here and they get more intense with every week that passes. Fun, eh?!

@Kiwiberry might be worth getting checked I had what I thought was bh like your describing and I had my daughter 36hrs later x

@Kiwiberry might be worth getting checked I had what I thought was bh like your describing and I had my daughter 36hrs later x
They seem to have stopped / slowed down and they don't have any pattern to them right now. Were yours like that too?

On and off yes was dilating me each time I thought nothing of it and the midwife when I rang said oh prob just Braxton hicks x

Here's what they look like as of today. The 40 minute gap is when I was taking a bath. So far it's lasted the longest today. Should I go in or do you think this is just prodromos labor? I'm nervous and embarrassed that I might be wasting everyone's time.

Yesterday it lasted pretty much all day with a couple 1-2 hour breaks.

I know it seems like I should know these things but this is only my second full-term baby and the first time I didn't experience any of this.

Screenshot_20210621-123706_Contraction Timer.jpg Screenshot_20210621-123537_Contraction Timer.jpg

Last edited:
There's no reason not to go in and just get checked and see if you're dilating/progressing! it's never ever a waste of time. I was so self-conscious about going in when I was with babies 4 and 5, my contractions were still so manageable, and both times I was almost 8cm when I got to the hospital. Shocked is an understatement! Good luck, girl! can't believe you're so close, I remember when you got your bfp like it was yesterday :)

There's no reason not to go in and just get checked and see if you're dilating/progressing! it's never ever a waste of time. I was so self-conscious about going in when I was with babies 4 and 5, my contractions were still so manageable, and both times I was almost 8cm when I got to the hospital. Shocked is an understatement! Good luck, girl! can't believe you're so close, I remember when you got your bfp like it was yesterday :)
Thanks love <3

Well they're still going, so it's been since before 10:30am & it's now 1:50pm.

When does your water usually break?

Screenshot_20210621-134659_Contraction Timer.jpg

eek I'll be stalking!
Yeah my water broke while pushing with 2 and 3, and the midwives broke my water with babies 4 and 5 when I was already complete, in order to get baby out sooner- for all I know they would have been born with the amniotic sac intact if they hadn't done that! But I was so ready for labor to be done!

Good luck my waters broke with DD2 at 9cm with DD1 they didn’t break at all and had to be broken at 9cm!

She couldn't really reach the cervix that well but said she thinks it's closed & the contractions have stopped again.

False alarm!

Iv never had my waters go on their own which is something I always wanted to happen!! Glad baby is hanging in there for you xx

I'm just so confused now! I don't know what's real contractions and what's not anymore :(. Those lasted a large chunk of the day. She did tell me if it happened again that I could come back in for a check and that it would be no problem, I still feel bad about it though.

Last edited:
@Kiwiberry ive heard it’s really common for this to happen with 3rd and 4th babies. Try not to worry and stay relaxed hopefully things properly start for you soon!

@Kiwiberry ive heard it’s really common for this to happen with 3rd and 4th babies. Try not to worry and stay relaxed hopefully things properly start for you soon!
That's a relief! Honestly I've never experienced this before. When the contractions started with my other babies it was pretty obvious I was going into labor and they didn't start / stop.

Good news is baby is happy and healthy, I have a growth scan on Thursday, I'm going to ask them to check my cervix then as well.

Definitely common with the more babies u have. I had back and front contractions from 29 weeks with DS.
I had what they call predominal labour.
Thankfully still made it to my induction at 37+3 weeks and was only 1cm.

But hon please if ure ever worried or unsure just give them a call and go and get checked out.
Never feel bad that is what they are there for.

Ure 37 weeks now so u know things cud be getting ready.

U do know when it's labour because they tend to get closer and longer and stronger.

But with mine a DH older son my waters popped and strated leaking and when my contractions strated they were really irigular. They didn't stop but they got to about 5 mins apart and then they were 20 mins apart then 15 the 5 again then 20 again.
We had the bloody show as well and when I got got to the hospital I was 4 cm dilated.

So I didn't have any Braxton Hicks contractions yesterday, maybe 2 total in the whole day. Some started this morning but it's kind of weird, they are alternating intervals, 8 minutes then 15 minutes then back to 8. Is this strange or has this happened to any of you lovely ladies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->