PCOS inhibiting milk supply?

nnaime

Blessed Mother of 2 little ones
Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently 22w pregnant after 2 years TTC with PCOS hoping to breastfeed LO.
I was reading some posts around the web about breast-feeding and I read that PCOS can inhibit the milk supply and render a mother unable to BF since the hormones somehow keep the glands from maturing or something.

Is this something you know to be true or have experienced? I really am hoping to BF and would be really down if I was unable to.

I think there is research to show that having PCOS can contribute to having an under supply of milk but it can also mean you have an over supply? Or just a normal supply. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.

I have/had PCOS and 2 c-sections and both times my milk came in 36 hours after birth, and I have plenty of it with no problems feeding but also not an over supply. I fed my daughter until 6 months (stopped out of choice, not issues with feeding) and feeding is going really well this time with my newborn too.

I don't have pcos but in all my breastfeeding research I haven't heard of this being a reason someone couldn't breastfeed.

It was the case for me. I've had pcos since puberty and it did cause an under development of my mammary glands. I was unable to produce half an ounce at a time with trying to exclusively breastfeed.

However, I think it's often in severe cases like mine where it impacted me I'm puberty.

It can but it doesn't mean it will. I had mild undersupply with #1 but with some fenugreek we overcame that bump in the road and fed him until he self weaned at 2yrs. My second I had no issues and BF until he self weaned at 16mths. Be optimistic :)

Thanks for your responses! I think in the latter weeks of my pregnancy I will start some improving lactation regimen like lactation cookies or fenugreek etc just in case, but you ladies really are giving me some relief!
I have noticed major breast changes this pg so hopefully that is a good sign that things are/will progress well.!!

Think all the info about fenugreek etc is great IF you find you have low supply but bear in mind that oversupply can also cause lots of breastfeeding problems and be very stressfull - you dont want to set yourself up for that if you dont have to (especially as I have heard of PCOS causing oversupply as well as undersupply).

Think all the info about fenugreek etc is great IF you find you have low supply but bear in mind that oversupply can also cause lots of breastfeeding problems and be very stressfull - you dont want to set yourself up for that if you dont have to (especially as I have heard of PCOS causing oversupply as well as undersupply).

I agree with this, wait and see if you have supply issues before you start supplementing. I've had oversupply with both babies and it has made breastfeeding difficult and frustrating for both me and my babies until they are 4 or 5 months old. It's great to know what you can take or supplement with in the event of low supply, but wait and cross that bridge if/when you get there. Good luck!

I've heard it go both ways. I also have pcos. My midwife put me on Metformin while trying to get pregnant, kept me on it during pregnancy, and is now suggesting i stay on it to help with milk supply. I have no way of knowing whether it is helping unless i stop, which i am considering at the 6 month mark when I'll hopefully begin introducing solids (planning on baby led weaning).

I don't plan on being on Metformin when we go to have our second kiddo. I don't particularly like the idea of putting chemicals into my body let alone my daughter. But I'm also too chicken to stop it since she is a fussy eater to begin with and i don't want the added stress of undersupply by stopping.

A number of possibilities could be the cause of low breast milk supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->