Pelvic exams

JayMari

Reaction score
When does pelvic exams start? I'm only 29 weeks and they probably start more towards the last few weeks? It's something I'm not looking forward to, I have a male doctor and more than likely my OH will be in the room... How awkward!! He doesn't even like when I have to pull my pants down to my hairline to check babys heartbeat!. I just need a heads up so i can mentally prepare and I won't go in there with a Jungle between my legs. What should I expect?

Well my doctor starts offering to check at 37 weeks I think? It might be 36... but I remember being checked for certain at 37 weeks last time.

I had my strep-b swab taken lest week and I made sure to trim up my lady garden the night before! I totally get where you are coming from! ;)

I never had any until I was in labour and 7cm dilated loool

You don't have to actually have one ever if you don't want one . Lots of people don't until they are in labour

I personally don't have them unless there is a reason to. I had one the other day because I lost my plug and was having contractions .

If everything is normal and going well you can turn them down, especially since they don't really tell you a lot about when you'll go into labour or anything g

I only had one at 38 weeks so far and it was because I asked my midwife for one. I think it is up to you if you want to be checked or not. :flower:

I think it all depends on the practice you go to. My OB doesn't check until 39 weeks.

I don't until labor. And the gobs swab I was given to do myself.

It came back positive so I will be getting minimal checks in labor too, to minimise the risk of infection.

i had one yesterday at my 35 week appt. they did the Group B Strep, then the exam. it was uncomfy!!! i do not mind my husband being in there at all, he just looks away. but man, the doc was all up in there! i am 2CM now and cervix open. fun times!

A lot of docs in the U.S. start at 36 weeks. Not all, but it's very common. Mine starts at 36 weeks unless she feels the need before that.

You can always refuse the pelvic exams, but here they usually start around 36 weeks and weekly thereafter. I had one this week due to losing what I thought was part of my mucus plug over three days, and was already dilating and indeed LOST my mucus plug. So I guess it just depends on if your doctor sees a need to do it like mine did. Now I'll have one every week from now on.

If your OH doesn't like when you pull your pants down to the hairline for your male doc....how's he going to feel when your doctor's hands are in your vagina during delivery? This process is all about accepting our bodies doing what they are supposed to do and we kind of have to get over the squick factor.

If your OH doesn't like when you pull your pants down to the hairline for your male doc....how's he going to feel when your doctor's hands are in your vagina during delivery? This process is all about accepting our bodies doing what they are supposed to do and we kind of have to get over the squick factor.

Good question, I'm curious about this as well...

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. One thing I learned about child birth/pregnancy is all modesty goes out the window. Your hoo ha is going to be all up in the doctor's face when you are pushing a baby out. i got checked yesterday (I was 38 + 4) & they gave me the option. DH wasn't there. I typically don't ask him to come anyway unless it's a major appointment. He was there for my first one where I got a Pap smear. Had no idea they were going to do that, but the look on DH's face was priceless. So was his face when the (male) doctor checked my breasts & told me I was going to have to get a very supportive bra. I thought DH was going to die laughing. Or when he had his hand up inside me to determine that my uterus is tipped. The midwife yesterday had almost her whole fist up inside me & it could be the same for you if your cervix is still high. If DH is going to be that bothered with it, I'd leave him at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->