Penelope/poppy

makecaker

mummy of 2, broody
Reaction score
I really like the name Penelope but I have gone backwards And forwards with it thinking is it too different etc. my other 2 have fairly boring names I guess (abbie and jacob/jake) and I can imagine family will have their opinions!
I also like poppy but I don't think of this as a very grown up name soooo I found lots of people on net using poppy as nn for Penelope.
What do you think? Will Penelope be pointless if we start calling her poppy, will it just become a name she has to put on forms? Will she hate the names when she gets older? Does Penelope/poppy flow well enough to go together? I have spent days now talking to an imaginary baby/child trying out all the ways/names etc. I have even found myself calling Penelope...poppy and the other way round as a sunday name to see if it works the same as when I call Jake/Jacob! Haha I think pregnancy is making me crazy!! I also don't mind nell/nelly as nn.
Naming a child is sooooo hard!!

Go for Penelope if you like it, it may not be popular over here but it isn't unheard of. Poppy and Penny are cute nn's too :)

is your daughter called Abigale or just Abbie?

Abigale and Penelope go quite well together

im not a fan of poppy, it doesn't age well so having Penelope might be a great way around this (I have heard lots of women complain about having a 'childish' name when they want to feel grown up/womanly)

p.s. Jake isnt boring

Love the name Penny / Pennie ! Never heard of Poppy as a nickname for Penelope but would be cute to use while little then she can use Penelope when she wants an older sounding name!
xx

It sounds like you like the name Penelope, but are concerned about what other people will think. In the end, they will get used to it. To me, Penny makes more sense as a nickname for Penelope than Poppy does. If Penelope feels right to you, I would go with that one. If you want to call her Poppy, I would not use it as a nickname for Penelope as it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If you really like Penelope then I say go for it but tbh I don't think Poppy makes much sense as a nickname for Penelope, but Penny does if you like that?

I don't see anything weird about having a Penelope with Poppy as a nickname. :shrug: But then again I have been calling my son David the nickname of Duck since he was two. He just wouldn't stay out of the water!

I really like the name Penelope but I have gone backwards And forwards with it thinking is it too different etc. my other 2 have fairly boring names I guess (abbie and jacob/jake) and I can imagine family will have their opinions!
I also like poppy but I don't think of this as a very grown up name soooo I found lots of people on net using poppy as nn for Penelope.
What do you think? Will Penelope be pointless if we start calling her poppy, will it just become a name she has to put on forms? Will she hate the names when she gets older? Does Penelope/poppy flow well enough to go together? I have spent days now talking to an imaginary baby/child trying out all the ways/names etc. I have even found myself calling Penelope...poppy and the other way round as a sunday name to see if it works the same as when I call Jake/Jacob! Haha I think pregnancy is making me crazy!! I also don't mind nell/nelly as nn.
Naming a child is sooooo hard!!

I love the name Poppy so much I could pop! I wanted this name so incredibly badly, but our surname starts with a P and that is far too many P's in a name, so I had to let go. Naming your daughter Penelope and nicknaming her Poppy is BRILLIANT! I am a big fan of strong adult names that have adorable childhood nicknames such as this. I love the idea!

to the people saying it makes no sense:

pen-elle-o-pee = Pen-elle-O-PEE

seems easy enough to me, makes much more sense than

John = Jack
Margaret = Peggy/Molly
William = Billy
James = Jimmy

etc... but they are all commonly used nicknames

I love Penelope and Poppy as a nn. I wanted Penelope on my list, but Penny as a nn rhymes with my name so it felt a bit odd.

I associated it with other unusual timeless names like Felicity.

I hadn't heard of poppy as nickname either until I googled it to find another nn other than penny as I'm not keen on penny.
My daughter is just abbie jjkcb

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"