People keep telling us NOT to have children??

Winter Belle

Reaction score
After replying to a thread about telling people if we're wtt by kayleigh I got to thinking...

We have some close friends who are retired now and have had 5 children.. a while ago the conversation about having kids came up and we said we weren't sure if we were gonna have them or not..

Straight away the retired couple began telling us that the world is such a bad place right now and, if it were them, they wouldn't bring children into that environment.. Although I can kind of see their point I am pretty sure the world was seen as a bad place 20-30 years ago when they had their children too. Funny how people seem to forget the unyielding maternal desire after they've had their children...

And this is not the only time this has happened. My father in law2b also asked us if we wanted kids and then proceeded to tell us that the world is far too unstable to bring children up in right now.

Has anyone else had this response? I find it a little confusing..

Everyone seems to think that the desire to want children is based on purely rational reasoning, ignoring the biological urge to have a LO of our own.

xxx

Surely if everyone took that advice and donned chastity belts (absinence being the only foolproof contraception) then we'd have a few population issues to contend with on top of all the world's other problems!

Besides, I don't think anyone can be completely rational when it comes to things like this. Just try telling a teenage lovestruck girl that her bad boy is no good and will end up hurting her...

In my 21 short years on earth, and my 2 years spent TTC/ beeing pregnant/beeing a mother i'v learnt one thing....

People say things just because they can, People really will just say anything! just for the sake of having somthing to say! Yes the world is an awful place blah blah blah but if everyone stoped having children just because there was bad people around then the human race would have 100 years max left!! you'll find when you start TTC get pregnant and have a child peoples opinions will change all the way through but everyone still has an opinion no one at all can just let you get on with it every one has somthing to say!

yes yes yes. i was told this so much it put me and OH off trying for our first! but we sat and talked about it and realised... "no body else is going to stop trying just because the world is a terrible place".
now we have a lil girl who makes the world a better place! call me tacky but thats just how i feel! x x x x x
i feel this so strongly that were trying for number 2 in june x x x x x x x x x good luck hun and tell them... to stop being so old fashioned! lol x x x x

I know exactly how you feel . I have had many people telling us not to have children....my OH's mother included :(

i agree, i fink ppl just say sumfink 2 u 2 make them feel better, yes it has gone down hill wiv guns and knife crime but i fink ur kids will only get in 2 that if u kinda let them, i wud never dream in a million yrs 2 take a knife out of gun because i havent been brought up wiv that!
i fink in time where ppl tell u things u sud listen 2 ur heart! it wudnt b them fink wot if if u decided not 2!

hhhmmm I havent had anyone say those comments to me...yet!
Me and OH are moving in together this summer after been together over 3 years, lots of people have been hinting and asking us when we are getting married. My reply is who siad we have to get married? lol
I think some people say it for the sake of it, but nothing stops the way you feel and if your ready for children, no one should stop you
x

Just tell them to piss off and to stop being miserable old hags.

Can ya tell iv had a bad day?

People have said that to us too. I have told people me and OH are getting married and then they turn round like; "Oh god... your not pregnant are you?" Like what if I was?! It's not a bloody disease?!

Ugh.. Other people suck. Just ignore them.

Grrrr.

Just cause it's not how it used to be. I think it's a ridiculous over the top statement to make. The world isn't THAT bad. Christ. Anyone would think we're living in the second world war. Yes, the world has it's downsides, but that's life. It's always been like that. Think of all the good in the world: better medical care, more opportunities, less discrimination.

They have been watching the news too much.

we've had this too - not necessarily because of the state of the world though, it seems more because their kids are causing them grief and stuff, but you know they wouldn't be without their kids so I wish they wouldnt say it. I haven't had it that much recently but my mother in law used to be really bad at saying it and it really upset me as I thought she was saying that she didnt want us to have kids because she didn't want any more grandchildren (she's only got one) - their not an overly open family but I think they now want us to have them as she hasnt said anything for years and do seem to be dropping hints about us having them, but it really did upset me before :( I wish people wouldn't do that, especially when they KNOW you want them! x

I'da told them to mind their own. (in a nice way haha)

people always have an opinion and seem to enjoy the 'we no best' kinda attitude! it drives me nuts to be honest!

Thanks guys. I'm glad i'm not the only one, I was starting to take it personally but I think you're right, it is just something people say so that they have something to say.

Thanks broody, the world has definitely improved and what if my child is the one that puts the world to rights? By not having a child of my own I could be denying the whole of humanity :rofl:

I am looking forward to the day when those people who told us not to have children have to back-track on their words as they see the new born baby in my arms :)

sorry you had a bad day lozzy, hope it's better now :)

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->