People's opinions on YOUR baby-to-be's name

Love_Krystal

Reaction score
Today one of my best friends was messaging me about my Baby. She was being nice. I told her I think the baby is a boy, & she said she has a feeling it's a girl then she made some half silly, half serious name suggestions. I laughed and told her that we had already picked a girl name, & I told her what it was.(Paisley) She responded with "aww Krystal, Paisley? boooo" I thought this was very rude of her considering it isn't her child, she has two & I didn't tell her what to name them!

Instead of being offended I decided to make it clear I wasn't asking for opinions. So I said Sorry if you don't like it, but we aren't asking opinions. DH & I had picked our named together & havent asked anyone. We have only told people who've asked, but we don't really care what other peoples opinions are bc we LOVE it! And it's our child! haha... I tried to say it lightheartedly but don't know if I came across too rude bc she stopped talking to me
after that!

Thats crazy though! This is my baby... I can name it Sugarbritches Sparklelicious if I want! Has anyone else had problems with People giving unwanted opinions about their names?

Yeah i chose the name Marley nd some ppl are like.... Umm why that? like in a rude sounding kind of way. I just tell them because it's my baby nd i like the name.

yep, my mum hates both the names me and OH have picked out and spends alot of time saying really horrible names to me urrgghhh ... she even goes so far as to change the surname from my OH's to mine and OH's or her surname and mine, it's crazy lol ... we've just decided that we aren't telling anyone what we have chosen

Yes! Not only that but coming up with off the wall suggestions! My mom keeps suggesting unisex names which I am not into and then she will pick really common names. I don't want my baby to be 1 of 15 so and so's in first grade. Also I told her I would still have to talk to me DH about names I have come up with to see if he likes them and she actually said " I didn't think he had a say so" ..... uhh hello? His sperm and my egg made a baby in my belly so yeah he is going to have an input on what to name the creation lol!!!

im not telling anyone until he/she arrives so there opinions wont matter haha

thats pretty rude of her concidering you werent asking for an opinion thats your actual choice cheeky woman! shes probably embarrassed thas why shes ignoring you x
btw i love the name paisley x

I find it so rude! I really don't mind random name chat but I think once you've narrowed it down to a few names or have your heart set on a name then it's really horrible for someone to try and spoil it or put you off it.

I think Paisley is a lovely name.

People kept asking me if I had names picked out, so I finally put something on my Facebook. I said "for information only, here are our top 3 names...." then I listed them, and said "for clarification, the only ones who get a vote are mommy & daddy". People STILL kept chiming in with their opinions, so I deleted the post and now when people ask if we have names picked out, I respond "Yes, and we'll tell you what we decide after she's born!":wacko:

Yes I've had the same. Some people are so bloody opinionated when it comes to everything pregnancy..especially the ones who've never been pregnant!
Lots of people have said negative things about my thoughts on names and it's upset me so much that we no longer tell anyone our thoughts...My step mum even said the following when I said we were condisering Lily..thats an old ugly name and will get shortened to Lil and one of my mums friends was called Lil and she was a bitch!! I was really hurt and even replied with, well that was my Great Nan's name and it's my favourite flower and I love it! Old bag, Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

I think its rude, but it seems to be really common for everyone to have an opinion on your choice. We aren't telling people our name choice until our baby is here.

I do think, especially through text message that she MIGHT have thought you were only being half-serious. Since you said her suggestions were half silly/ half serious she might have thought you were being silly too and not telling her your ACTUAL choice.
(not saying your choice is silly, just that its not a 'vanilla' name like Mary or Sue and so she might not know you were serious)

And my DH and I will only tell people our 'joke' names when they ask. Everyone instantly knows we're joking or looks uncomfortable and not sure if we're serious or not. Its pretty fun, but I wanted to say that prospective parents DO like to mess with people by sharing silly name choices so your friend might have thought you were doing that.

We like Dexter for a boy and if I hear "ooh is that after the tv show" once more I am probably going to explode! And my friend just named her new rabbit Dexter after we had had the name conversation so I am mega annoyed! X

We haven't even had them name conversation yet! Bad i know but it's not something I have thought about yet lol

I totally love the name Paisley too! I was considering that name too for awhile. My favorite singer is Brad Paisley nd my other favorite singer is Bob Marley lol....

We like Dexter for a boy and if I hear "ooh is that after the tv show" once more I am probably going to explode! And my friend just named her new rabbit Dexter after we had had the name conversation so I am mega annoyed! X

Why on earth would people presume you'd name your child after a serial killer? :wacko:

That's like when I said I liked the name Harvey and someone asked if it was after the big white rabbit. Of course it isn't!

baybeemama, I love the name Marley!

Yea we get "Oh like Brad Paisley" a lot even though that isnt why we chose it! I dont mind, I like him. I've liked the name Paisley for a while, and DH liked it immediately as well. We both love the pattern paisley :) And I would love to do her room in pink & green Paisley, Ive already picked out bedding & a chair lol...Although I am sure we will be waiting bc I have a feeling this is a little Boy :) and in that case he will be Silas :) and have a firetruck or tool room in red and black haha!

I dont mind sharing my names as long as people realize i am not asking for an opinion, even if I have to tell them that! :) Everyone else has liked it so far except one of my Aunts. People are different, we have different taste! If we didn't we would have a lot of kids with the same names!

Today one of my best friends was messaging me about my Baby. She was being nice. I told her I think the baby is a boy, & she said she has a feeling it's a girl then she made some half silly, half serious name suggestions. I laughed and told her that we had already picked a girl name, & I told her what it was.(Paisley) She responded with "aww Krystal, Paisley? boooo" I thought this was very rude of her considering it isn't her child, she has two & I didn't tell her what to name them!

Instead of being offended I decided to make it clear I wasn't asking for opinions. So I said Sorry if you don't like it, but we aren't asking opinions. DH & I had picked our named together & havent asked anyone. We have only told people who've asked, but we don't really care what other peoples opinions are bc we LOVE it! And it's our child! haha... I tried to say it lightheartedly but don't know if I came across too rude bc she stopped talking to me
after that!

Thats crazy though! This is my baby... I can name it Sugarbritches Sparklelicious if I want! Has anyone else had problems with People giving unwanted opinions about their names?

Krystal I was going to post this exact topic today! Some people grrrr! We have decided on a name...Kadie Louise, we chose it about 6yrs ago before we were even married because we both thought it just clicked then my boss today asked what we were calling her & said 'What??' 'Is that a real name?' & as for Louise its abit common isnt it? & why dont you just call her Katie?' Oh I could of slapped him. Louise is my middle name & my great grandma was Louisa, yes its quite a common middle in England but who cares?! I said we dont want to call her Katie & we got Kadie from a baby name book, its English actually look it up if you want! so now Im not telling anyone who asks. I feel my Mum isnt keen either she likes normal names like Holly & Sophie but I refuse to have my child go to school & be named Holly C or Sophie number 3! Paisley is lovely btw and very different.

If anyone asks me about names, I say it's going to be Atticus for a boy and Persephone for a girl... they're so shocked that they change the subject!

This is my third and I've learnt not to share real names because I just get annoyed when people make stupid comments! And because I named my son Amos, they wouldn't put anything past me.

This is my baby... I can name it Sugarbritches Sparklelicious if I want!

That made me laugh! Tell her you are seriously thinking of calling your baby that and see what she says :haha:

Its even Worse bc our surname is Moon, like the one in the sky. That makes all kinds of names seem funny! We joke that we are going to name our daughter Honey, and our son Blue! :)

When I told my best friend that we wanted to call our son Joseph her answer was "ur child is gonna hate you forever". I was completely surprised by her reaction...cause it was always clear that we had completely different tastes whn it comes to baby names. (her daughter is called jordan).
So when my son was born, we stuck to Joseph (or Joe for short) and she totally loves the name now and is considering it as a middle name for her next child.

Go with whatever you feel is right...you defo gonna pick the right name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->