People's opinions on YOUR baby-to-be's name

We've chosen Orion as a boys name & my brother keeps calling him Benjamin (which was never an option)

He has a weird sense of humor though & does it in fun so I'm not offended.

People should keep their negative opinions about names to themselves. They aren't having your baby. If they want to name something they should buy a puppy.

When we were trying to decide our baby's name we heard endless amounts of opinions and grief from family and friends to the point that even talking about the subject made me want to punch someone. Yet strangely once we decided and chose a name everyone shut up and were very nice about it. It was weird.

I just don't understand why everyone and their mother think they have some sort of say in what you name child, like they somehow believe you aren't capeable of making the choice on your own. It's frustrating.

We've chosen Orion as a boys name & my brother keeps calling him Benjamin (which was never an option)

He has a weird sense of humor though & does it in fun so I'm not offended.

People should keep their negative opinions about names to themselves. They aten't having your baby. If they want to name something they should but a puppy.

My MIL was doing something similar with us when we were figuring out the name she actually said "Well, I'll just call him PJ (as in Paul James) because i like it regardless of what you choose." :dohh: I didn't even know how to respond to that at first.

Ha, I just tell my mother in law that I'm naming the baby kermitt. Doesn't matter if it's a boy or girl :haha: she is obsessed with family names and I don't want one! My parents haven't said anything. I prob will pick a fairly boring name, love Andrew for a boy. But I just won't tell her ever since she said "If I don't like the baby's name I'll just call it darling" bitch. Just makes me want to pick something mental! :) vindictive? Me?
I joke in work about names all the time, but there's loads of us there so I wouldn't tell them my real choices in case I got upset when they hated my names! :( xx

i personally dont do unique names but i would never put a name down my cousin named her daughter allegra jane surname but AJ for short
everyone in the family was like what the heck where did that come from and although it took practise to pronouce it, it suits her and she hardly gets called AJ
its your child your choice and if people want to have a neg opinion of it then bugger them
well done on finding a lovely name we dont know what were having yet we hope its a girll because we have a name for a girl were stuck on a boy

be encouraged you're not alone!! :hugs: and same as Lisa, we are saving the name unitl he's born. We've told 2 ppl and they LOVE the name. I've mentioned it on here and have had mixed reviews. But who cares if you love it!! seriously. People and their rudeness can stuff it.

we are keeping this babies name to ourselves until lo arrives.. well we will be if we actually ever get round to choosing one :dohh:

Yeah my sister and a few friends have really turned their nose up at Charlotte...My response was sod them . My child, my choice and they don't have to like it because I love it.

Why would they hate Charlotte? That's such a gorgeous, classic name! Sounds regal.

The names dh and I have chosen are actually very, very common and I'm more afraid of being teased for going with the crowd or that there will be a million children sharing a name with my child. But those are the names we like. DH comes from a family of out-there names and we feel drawn to more "normal" names. LOL And I've always LOVED the classic, traditional names. I argue that they are so popular because they are such good names. ha ha

But, by chance, my mom mentioned the name we chose for a girl and said that she loved it. So, it will work out in the end.

A friend of mine keeps asking. Imm sure she only wants to know so she can gossip about it with others and be the one who knew 1st. We were best friends at school but recently im beginning to wonder why....she only ever phones/texts when she wants something or to be nosey. And anything i say about anything she seems to go out of her way to disagree with it.
ANyway, I told her as we had anounced he is a boy, we were going to keep the name secret until he was born. She said 'yeh ok, like you 'wouldnt' tell me'! Ermmmm no i wont!! She then suggested her boringly unoriginal cats names - Ben and Timmy!! Dont think so!
No doubt if we told her our top 3 were Beau, Jude or Gene, she'd turn her nose up - whereas my best friend would say they were lovely, if she thought so or not.
Its really rude to say you dont like the name someone has suggested for their own child. Best leave it till after the birth, no one would dare say otherwise to your face!

I love paisley btw, very cute and original!

Krystal I was going to post this exact topic today! Some people grrrr! We have decided on a name...Kadie Louise, we chose it about 6yrs ago before we were even married because we both thought it just clicked then my boss today asked what we were calling her & said 'What??' 'Is that a real name?' & as for Louise its abit common isnt it? & why dont you just call her Katie?' Oh I could of slapped him. Louise is my middle name & my great grandma was Louisa, yes its quite a common middle in England but who cares?! I said we dont want to call her Katie & we got Kadie from a baby name book, its English actually look it up if you want! so now Im not telling anyone who asks. I feel my Mum isnt keen either she likes normal names like Holly & Sophie but I refuse to have my child go to school & be named Holly C or Sophie number 3! Paisley is lovely btw and very different.

I love Kadie!! When i was preg with our youngest KAdee was going to be his girl name - he's Kane now!
Kadee was still on our list for this one but when i mentoned it to the same 'friend' she said 'it's alright, but it sounds like an american saying katie, a bit too 'try hard''!! Grrr i was so mad i could have slapped her, had to end the convo very soon after. I think her kids names are crap and boring, but i wouldnt have the bad manners to say so..!

We've decided to tell people about half a dozen names we like once we find out the sex, and keep them guessing until bubba is born :)

I have only had negatives off my hubby but he's allowed and when he suggested names back i made a face at a few suggestions. (i wont say what they were in case someone has chose those names for their own children).

I text my mate some of my top picks, i like caitlin or eliana for a girl and she politely avoided the one and said ooo i like caitlin. then for a boy i said oliver or ben (junior DH is ben too) and she simply said oliver is cute. why cant everyone be like that?
The poor girl shared her names (she has 9 weeks left and doesnt know what shes having thanks to a stubborn baby lol) and her mother hit the roof, saying those names r disgusting but then again its not my baby so i dont get a say do i? Errr no love u dont. how mean of her own mum?

I think people should keep their opinions to themselves really. how hard is it to stay quiet, picking a name is hard work. Im still not sure of the names i have chosen but i dont fancy anyone saying n e thing negative so i probably wont share my choices until after the birth.

Actually I just remembered a ridiculous convo me and hubby had while i was pregnant with my first. her name is lauren-ivy my hubby chose lauren and ivy is my late grandmothers name. well the mil (not to my face) said that we had to have HER mothers name in our daughters name, her mums name is jean and to me it doesnt go with lauren AND my sil has jean in her name so its not like it went unused where as i wanted to carry on ivy for my grandmother. People also threatened to call my daughter lolly, i didnt like that idea i wanted her to know her actual name first y change it??? very annoying.

On my son whose name is harvey william (william after mil's dad, it hadnt been used yet) yet mil said ooo no i dont like harvey andi said ooo well i do. end of. it mutated from harley-david because i thought it would be cool as hubby is a bike fan but i wasnt totally comfortable with it. no one else. me. lol

how about Constance- Connie for short? =] my Ohs mate has a daughter now and shes called Constance Meredith, Old fashioned, original but i like it!

I love Charlotte 'Lottie' For short

Spacechild.

Anyone ever asked us if we had picked a name we said "yes, Spacechild, we like unusual names...." :haha:

most people got the hint after that!

My own mother in law was the main one trying to get us to change the name. She still tries to trow names out to get us to change but we have our minds 100% set on our name. After the experience with her, I tell most people that we're still thinking about it because I don't want or need anyone else's opinion on MY daughters name

My hubby keeps telling people that a boy will be called Fernando after Fernando Torres and that a girl will be Maxi after Maxi Rodriguez lol not in my life time lol I am a huge Manchester United fan! I mentioned to my mam a few names we like and she politely avoided the ones she didn't like but in all fairness said "It's your choice and we will love him or her with all our hearts" so I'm not particularly worried. Everyone will only find out after Boo is born anyways :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->