Period while EBF normal? Is supply dropping?

Pink Petals

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a dumb question... But if my period has come back and I am EBF, does that mean my supply could be dropping? LO is 5 months.

Also, he only gained 5 oz last month. I am not worried that he is too small, as he was born 10 lbs 13 oz and gained fast the first few months and is now 18.5 lbs. I am more worried that this might mean I am having supply issues?

He did cut his first tooth last month, which may have played a part as well...

Also, we cosleep and he likes to comfort suck a lot. Not sure if that matters.

How do I know if my supply is ok?

some women get periods whilst ebf it has nothing to do with supply. If lo becomes fussy and disatified then this is an indicator that your supply may have gone down but as long as baby is satisfied there is no worry.

I got my period back at 5 months. I found my supply dropped a few days before it came and then was low till about 2 days into period and then it went back to normal. I found the first one to be the worst drop and then ones after to not be as big of a drop.
You can take calcium/magnesium supplement to help with supply. You can either take it every day or for the two weeks before your period and then once your period has been on for about 2 days you can stop taking it again.
I found that it did help.

Low milk supply associated with menstruation: Calcium/magnesium supplement

Some women experience a drop in milk supply from ovulation (mid-cycle) until the first day or two of the next menstrual period. A woman’s blood calcium levels gradually decrease during this period of time, and for some women the drop in blood calcium causes a drop in milk supply. For women who have this problem, calcium/magnesium supplements may be helpful. This practice has also been reported to eliminate most uterine cramping and some premenstrual discomfort such as water retention.

The recommended calcium supplement dosage is between 500 mg calcium/250 mg magnesium and 1500 mg calcium/750 mg magnesium (the higher dosage is generally more effective). Calcium dosages this high should not be taken alone, but as a calcium/magnesium (or calcium/magnesium/zinc) combination.
Start the supplement when you ovulate, and continue through the first few days of your menstrual period. If periods are irregular, then begin calcium/magnesium at 14 days after the beginning of your last menstrual cycle, or simply take the supplement every day.
https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/natural-treatments/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->