Permanent problems from epidural?

Squiggy

Rainbow Baby
Reaction score
Hey moms,
I was 35 when I had my son 17months ago (which is why I'm posting this here). When I had the epidural it completely numbed my left side, my left leg was practically paralyzed, I couldn't move it myself.
For a few months after birth I experienced spinal discomfort. But it all seemed to go away.
This morning around 5am I woke up on my back with what felt like a "disconnected" left leg (like it did when I had the epidural but not as paralyzed). It was scary, I have an anxiety disorder and take panic attacks, which I did. But I'm wondering if this is some kind of permanent effect from the epidural. My panic lead me to think I could be having a stroke, but that's what panic does - it makes you believe the worst.

My question is - have any of you experienced any such discomforts since an epidural. Ive heard of women having permanent back problems, but not of things like this. So for any of you that have experienced long lasting discomforts please share.

Sorry no experience, but was it not just a dead leg where the blood circulation was cut off? I sometimes get that! It comes back in a couple of minutes once I change position. If you're worried go to see your doctor hun. xxxx

I had an epidural 15 yrs ago and I have to say it ruined my back... I already had a slight back problem but that killed it off and affected me ever since.. Im now a chronic pain sufferer and I wont have an epidural this time... im hoping for water for as long as possible and gas and air. No labour pain is ever worth ruining your back over.

for a few months after giving birth i had back spasms where i couldnt straighten. i couldnt pick my son up from the floor for several months because of the nerve damage i had shooting pains and constant pain where the epidural was. When it was put in i screamed as it felt like it hit the nerves in my back and it felt like all the nerves were being hit. it was worse than the contractions. i dont know if thats what having the epidural feels like, all i get told is "it feels a bit uncomfortable" to me it was the worst pain ever.

I had no problems with my epidural 15 years ago. It was a slight, painful pressure, but after birth I was up and walking around pretty quickly. The epidural was very quickly nothing more than a memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->