Personal Question- Hemorrhoid/skin tag removal?

LovePurple

Reaction score
Anyone have hemorrhoid surgery/skin tag removal after having baby. What procedure did you have done and how bad was it? I hear the pain is terrible and I've heard horror stories that things didn't end up much better after surgery for repair.
While of course cleanliness is the main reason for surgery, cosmetically.. I just need to have it fixed. I've NEVER had them before and then get them my last 6 wks of pregnancy. The dr said he'll do whatever I need to fix it.. but I have to wait my 6 wks to be released from my OB. so once I heal from one thing down there, I'll be starting all over I believe with this surgery... oh well.. I got a beautiful baby out of it =) hehe

Just wanted to hear your experiences if you've had any.

Stalking! I've got a skin tag that I wanna get rid of :thumbup:

well, I'll chime in on my own thread..
having skin tag removed and banding of internal ones I got during labor tomorrow. Will keep you posted

I haven't had a baby yet so it wasn't due to that but I had awful piles & surgery to remove them. I'll be completely honest with you, it was the worst experience of my life.

First they tried to band them which was painful during but no real recovery time, I was out that evening. Didn't work as they were too extreme but if it works for you then fantastic!
Then I had a full hemmeroidectomy. I stayed in hospital overnight and whilst there I was so drugged up, the pain was completely fine. At home, it wasn't too bad for the next 2 days but I couldn't go to the toilet (even after taking softner for the past 4 weeks in preparation). 7 days later (looking 6 months pregnant) and I finally went, the searing pain was like nothing I have ever felt before. TMI - I was only able to do it in the bath, the positioning of being on a toilet made it much worse. For the next week, everytime I went, it would bring me to tears. I couldn't move, sit down, anything. It was just constant pain. I had 3 weeks off work and should probably have taken one more. One thing that did help was a cream called rectogesiac (sp) it gave an intense headache for 5 minutes after applying but was the only thing that could help.

It did cure the problem but left me with skin tags which is where the good news is for you ladies that just have tags! I had the tags removed as a separate surgery 7 months later and it was a completely different experience! I was uncomfortable for about 2 days but not in pain and was completely fine after that! It made a huge difference.

My advise would be to get it treated asap. My surgeon said if I'd been referred a lot earlier then I wouldn't have needed the full surgery. If you do need to have full surgery for removal, allow yourself 2-3 weeks recovery. Have regular warm baths, take all the pain meds that you can & use stool softners for a good few weeks before.

Hope you get it sorted :)

I had one grow in my nose !! Vile
It looked like a boggie lol
I obivously wanted it gone the doctor was going to numb the area and snip it off!
Luckliy for me it started getting smaller and has now gone ! Whoop
apparently they can do this !

I haven't had a baby yet so it wasn't due to that but I had awful piles & surgery to remove them. I'll be completely honest with you, it was the worst experience of my life.

First they tried to band them which was painful during but no real recovery time, I was out that evening. Didn't work as they were too extreme but if it works for you then fantastic!
Then I had a full hemmeroidectomy. I stayed in hospital overnight and whilst there I was so drugged up, the pain was completely fine. At home, it wasn't too bad for the next 2 days but I couldn't go to the toilet (even after taking softner for the past 4 weeks in preparation). 7 days later (looking 6 months pregnant) and I finally went, the searing pain was like nothing I have ever felt before. TMI - I was only able to do it in the bath, the positioning of being on a toilet made it much worse. For the next week, everytime I went, it would bring me to tears. I couldn't move, sit down, anything. It was just constant pain. I had 3 weeks off work and should probably have taken one more. One thing that did help was a cream called rectogesiac (sp) it gave an intense headache for 5 minutes after applying but was the only thing that could help.

It did cure the problem but left me with skin tags which is where the good news is for you ladies that just have tags! I had the tags removed as a separate surgery 7 months later and it was a completely different experience! I was uncomfortable for about 2 days but not in pain and was completely fine after that! It made a huge difference.

My advise would be to get it treated asap. My surgeon said if I'd been referred a lot earlier then I wouldn't have needed the full surgery. If you do need to have full surgery for removal, allow yourself 2-3 weeks recovery. Have regular warm baths, take all the pain meds that you can & use stool softners for a good few weeks before.

Hope you get it sorted :)

oh gee, I appreciate your reply and experience, although I can't lie it makes me a bit nervous (as if I weren't already LOL).
He seems to think mine aren't bad, so I'm definitely hoping he's right. He'll be banding while I'm out for the tag removal, so hopefully that will also help with some pain issues. I'll go home same day. Hoping he gives me something for pain too. Of course, other than tylenol or something

If he's just banding & removing skin tags then you'll be absolutely fine! I had no problems with that what so ever. Glad you've got an understanding doc who's doing this for you so quickly!

If he's just banding & removing skin tags then you'll be absolutely fine! I had no problems with that what so ever. Glad you've got an understanding doc who's doing this for you so quickly!

Yeah, that's all he's doing. Oh goodness! So glad to hear that I'll be good! I've heard WAY TOO MANY horror stories about these hemorrhoid procedures. I'm hoping you and doc are right! I'm scared, but TBH, I won't have sex with hubby again until it's fixed. Too self conscious.. and even though we've been married 8 years, I still want to keep everything like we first got married. It's something we both feel very strongly about.. we want to keep things fresh, and I'd be too embarrassed to be less than my best as silly as that may sound!

quick question- with the banding, they fall off right? So no skin tag should remain after that I would need to get removed?

If the banding works then yes, they would just fall off leaving nothing. The skin tags come when they're prolapsed and hang outside of the body. However, in the worst case that there is a skin tag, they're really easy to have removed.

I know that you want to keep things fresh but I couldn't imagine not being able to be close to my husband while that was happening. Hopefully your banding will happen really quickly, the recovery from it is really fast so you'll be fine!

Update! Holy Moly!!

I had my surgery Thursday.. 2 skin tags removed and 1 banding on internal and HOLY COW!! I spent the past 2 days in the bathtub! It's the ONLY thing that would relieve the pain! I literally would take my pain meds (ordered every 8 hours but i took them every 4 and did nothing) and would get in the bath, could relax.. stayed in there about 2 hours.. felt better, would get out.. and by the time I got dressed I would be in tears from pain and have to run more hot water and get back in the bath. There was NO position I could find whether it be sitting, laying, standing.. Couldn't do a sitz bath.. had to actually be laying in the bath tub. I'm FINALLY getting relief. Thank the good Lord! Seriously! I was doing some major praying. I was starting to go mad from pain and lack of sleep. Hopefully I'm over the worst part! I'd better be! I called the on call doctor to see if this is normal and he said yes. That this can be one of the most painful surgeries you can have done. There are so many nerves in that area, if they were irritated by the procedure it can be excruciating, and apparently they were all hit because everyone I've mentioned this to around here had an okay time and minimal discomfort when they had theirs done. Shew! I know it'll be worth it in the end, but I honestly doubt I will ever have anything like this done again if I need to. Just wanted to throw in my update... I hope if any of you have it done, you're one that tolerates it well.

Are you sure he only did banding and basic skin tag removal? When I had those it didn't cause anything near that bad! Like I said, when I had the full surgery it was horrendous!

Make sure you ask for that cream I mentioned, it's honestly the only thing that gave me any relief at all.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Are you sure he only did banding and basic skin tag removal? When I had those it didn't cause anything near that bad! Like I said, when I had the full surgery it was horrendous!

Make sure you ask for that cream I mentioned, it's honestly the only thing that gave me any relief at all.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

at the office we talked about banding, and they even gave me a handout on it. But like you, I'm seriously thinking he did more. I had to call the on call dr twice this weekend. I actually was impacted- so fixing that cause more excruciating pain! I was ready to go to the ER, but seriously couldn't move, even in the bathtub. Couldn't fathom riding in a car or waiting in a waiting room to get relief. I'm just as upset emotionally because I can't take care of my baby! My mom has had to come over every day and he even spent the night at her house the other night. I'm useless from pain! =(
If he did (and I'm guessing he probably did) do the full hemorrhoidectomy we are going to have some words. I feel like we definitely should have had discussions about recovery and time frame and pain issues.. and he KNOWS I have a new baby- so I would need to arrange care for him. I'm also going to make him do whatever he needs to to get me short term disability because I, again, did not plan for this. =(
This is one of those "put me out of my misery" things! how long did it take you to recover from the hemorrhoidectomy??
I'm hoping he did do the banding and being impacted is what's causing this crazy pain and that once that irritation calms down I'll feel a lot better....
I hope and pray that's the case!

nevermind, I see you said you took off 3 weeks and should have took 4. I'm calling the dr's nurse tomorrow morning to see what's going on.. but mine were internal. does that make a difference with the hemorrhoidectomy?
man, this makes me an emotional (and physical) wreck!

I was completely useless for the full 3 weeks, and I mean completely. I would never have coped with having a baby at that time. Most of my time was spent in the bath & at one point my husband had to carry me from the bed to the bath when I was in agony during the night. Make sure you really take it easy and take softners.

I know that not everyones experience is the same, but when I had the banding done I went out that evening. When I had the skin tags removed, I didn't feel great but it wasn't extreme pain. You should definitely have discussed recovery time more, I had no idea that it would be major surgery until my pre op checks when the nurse gave me a reality check but nothing could have prepared me for how bad it was.

It will get easier over the next couple of weeks, I know that's hard to believe now!

The dr himself is supposed to call me back this afternoon to discuss. I'm actually feeling some better today. I've only taken 2 pain pills in the past 9 hours and over the weekend took 2 every 3-4 hours. I'm wondering if the pain was from being impacted and the trauma that caused.
Thank you so much Irisheyes for all your input, help and discussion. may not seem like you're doing much, but just knowing you understand the pain helps :hugs:

It's no problem, you can PM me anytime if you want to ask anything. I really wish there'd been someone I could ask these questions of when it happened to me, I really wasn't prepared.

I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better! I think you've done amazingly well to handle this with a young baby. I'm nervous enough just having a baby, let alone dealing with surgery at the same time! xx

Well you've been a GREAT help! I really appreciate it! B&B has been there for me so many times through the pregnancy and all, SO glad I found this site!

As for the baby thing, I had to be induced as I went past my due date.. I heard horror stories about that too, but I would do it again in a heartbeat! I DID end up having to push for 3 hours! Yes, THREE! I had an epidural and it was still painful, but I honestly can't complain. I ended up with an episiotomy as he had a big head and was 9lb5oz. The first week was uncomfortable, but after that I felt practically back to normal. I was working out at home when he was 10 days old and back in the gym a couple weeks after that! He was my first and hopefully your experience will be as good or better than mine =)

That's definitely one of the more positive experiences I've heard! I'm really hoping for a homebirth so I'll need to go into labour naturally but I'll let you know in a few weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->