Pets?

TwoMummies

Expecting a baby girl :)
Reaction score
Does anyone else have pets and if so what do you plan to do with them when your are in labour?

I have quite a lot, am not so worried about the cats as I imagine they will take off and do there own thing, especially with strange people in the house but not sure how the dogs will react.

All are very friendly but I am worried it may be too much stress for them with strange people, smells, noises etc.

Plus if they are due their daily walk at that time then all hell will break loose as one dog in particular seems to have a inbuilt clock and knows when walk time is!

I was considering kennels but with no clue when I will go into labour how would this work, you have to book in advance and they are not open in the middle of the night.

What is everyone else planning on doing?

I have no clue! We have a puppy and granted he will be almost a year when I am due but still, we can't just crate him all day. My adult dog would probably even hop in the pool. They would certainly be in the way. I am thinking they will go to a friends house that's close by. I am more worried about what happens the first few weeks after birth. DH doesn't get paternity leave - he's in the Navy and going to university at the same time, and will be taking finals right around the birth. No way can he skip. I don't know how I am going to manage the dogs and a new baby *sob* (and no family in the country to speak of)

I'm all set for after the birth, it's just during that is the problem.

I have a very reliable dog walker who is going to come twice daily for the first 6 weeks and other than that my dogs are really easy to care for, especially when tired from a walk!

I have 4 dogs and they all LARGE dogs so can't even ask a friend or neighbour, most people are terrified of my dogs despite them being big softie's :haha:

I imagine Zeus my youngest would want to jump in the pool with me given the chance!

I have three dogs, a cavvie, a cocker and a german shepherd cross. We have a baby gate set up blocking the front room from the living room where I laboured, and the two bigger ones were behind that most of the time. The cavvie got upset at hearing me labouring in the pool and not being able to see me, so my Mom held him so he could see me (and I could reach out and fuss him, which was nice and helped calm me). They were all chilled behind the baby gate, no fuss at all.

I'm not having a home birth, but if I was then I'd put my dogs into their crates. Yes if they have to be in there all day & night with just someone to let them out and put them back again it'll suck for them, but they'd cope!

You need to work out what will stress and worry you more; sending or locking them away, or having them out and about. And go with whichever will be the least distraction for you when you need to be in your own space!!! If the dogs are friendly and ok and will normally chill out with visitors around then they'll be fine I'm sure. They'll be confused to some degree with the difference in the energy and behaviours of everyone, but as long as the rest of your family are around with them I think they'll be fine. Lock them out in the yard for a few hours, or into a bedroom or something if you need space from them, but don't worry; they'll cope!

ive got two cats, and to be honest i think they will be most likly to go off and hide away from the commotion, but if they do come sniffing around i'll be shutting them in the kitchen casue i dont want any puncture holes in my pool ha ha!!

I have two large dogs and had a homebirth ds2. They were outside most of the day while I labored and then we brough them in around 9 pm, but put them in the basement. They didn't make any noise, I think they knew something was going on.

My two dogs were left in another room and just let out out for a wee and fed at their Mel time. They didn't make a peep. Xxx

Think i'm going to do the whole baby gate and secluded room idea.

Will have to be a big baby gate though as my dogs could easilly jump it!

Letting them in the yard won't work as they will bark unattended and bug the neighbours and caging won't work either - can't imagine where the hell I would put a cage big enough to fit 4 Rotties in!

I am sure they will be fine but want them out of the way in case they do start to stress about it all.

You can get "dog gates" that are taller than baby gates.

I have five cats, and am hopefully having a waterbirth. I can see them wanting to hide at first due to the commotion and strangers being around, but they usually come out pretty quickly, so looks like I may have to shut them upstairs...
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"