Photography

emyandpotato

Reaction score
Having an absolute dilema!

To start with I'm gonna say that although I want lovely wedding photos I want them natural and arty, and not group posey photos or anything. I want them like this sort of thing basically: https://pinterest.com/ketchupsandwich/lens/

Now I have always said I am not willing to pay a fortune for a photographer. I just can't. Short of getting an insane loan shark loan it isn't something I can consider.

I took the advice of someone on here and posted on a student photography website looking for someone to do it cheaply. I got some replies, but no one who's work I felt confident enough with. Through the site I also came across this company: https://www.drawdownthestars.com/blog/ I really like them, and the huge draw is that they're actually wedding photographers; they know what they're doing. I emailed them and they quoted me £850, cheaper than normal, because my wedding is so unique and because of what I want. This is very reasonable, but an awful lot of money.

I also have two friends who I am contemplating being my photographers instead. One is studying photography and styling at university. This is some of his work: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...3944521.-2207520000.1357592276&type=3&theater Obviously, that work is a bit arty and morbid but he's quite talented. Then there is my sister's partner, who has never had a lesson in photography but is so passionate about it, and is very talented. He is actually starting a college course in photography this year, so will learn all the bits that he doesn't know, though he's already very good. They both have very good cameras and know how to edit photographs to a professional standard. Some examples of sister's partner's work:
https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/522687_10151793595600261_479968547_n_zps5e978785.jpeg
https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/45288_4408167999446_730627532_n_zps5639941a.jpeg
https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/227934_4408165799391_1826697764_n_zps3a07c80d.jpeg
https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/430363_10152035157905261_1748301721_n_zps63fcc262.jpeg
They were taken casually, not as seriously as wedding photos would be, and are just of Rory and my parents' dog. I've shown him the type of photos I want and he is going to experiment and we're gonna do a practise shoot to see what the end product is like.

Now usually I would be happy to wait and see what the practise shoot comes out like and cross my fingers it worked, and if not then book the professional photographer. The issue is that I have a code for the photographer, valid for another week only, to get 20% off. This is huge to me, so I really need to decide ASAP! I am 80% certain that my friend and BIL combined would take amazing photos, but there's that niggling feeling that I'd regret it. What would you do?!?

With you wanting more than aim and shoot i would go for the pro, photos like that need some one who knows how to get the right light etc.

I would also tell the other two they are welcome to take pics for their portfolios and then you can get the best of both worlds.

I/we have a lot of photographers as guests at our wedding (I studied photography!) but my rule from the start was that we would not have a guest "working" at our wedding, if you know what I mean!? So I went on the hunt for exactly what you've described...someone who can take good vouyeristic photographs without it looking like someone's just been swinging the camera around randomly :thumbup: The one we got was just shy of £1000 but we got him at 2012 prices. His prices have now gone up by £250 :wacko: The other thing that convinced me to spend big bucks on the photographer was a fellow BnBer. She went with a 'budget' photographer who charged just £700 and she can't even bring herself to now look at her wedding photographs :nope:

We would pay the friends. About £200. They both said that they would be absolutely delighted to do it too. My only issue is the photos themselves. I could spend £800 on a professional though and still hate them, there's no guarantee. OH is really upset about the idea of spending more than £300 on photographs. He really believes we do not have the money so I'm kind of unsure because I don't want to end up in financial trouble because of something like this. And we can't take money from food or drink because my parents are covering that but don't agree with any form of professional photographer at all :dohh:

I/we have a lot of photographers as guests at our wedding (I studied photography!) but my rule from the start was that we would not have a guest "working" at our wedding, if you know what I mean!? So I went on the hunt for exactly what you've described...someone who can take good vouyeristic photographs without it looking like someone's just been swinging the camera around randomly :thumbup: The one we got was just shy of £1000 but we got him at 2012 prices. His prices have now gone up by £250 :wacko: The other thing that convinced me to spend big bucks on the photographer was a fellow BnBer. She went with a 'budget' photographer who charged just £700 and she can't even bring herself to now look at her wedding photographs :nope:

Who's your photographer by the way? Just to be nosey!

Prices must be crazy down south, i would see £700 as getting a decent photographer depending on what package you go for prints

Hmm I'm not really sure what to vote!
For us a good photographer was one of the main things we wanted, I wanted someone who could take natural looking pictures, catching people off guard etc, Me and OH without a drink in us hate having our pictures taken so we wanted someone who wouldn't make us pose and work with what we want!
I found a photographer I loved, he done OHs Uncles wedding and they are beautiful! He was about £1200 CD only package (what we wanted) so I asked if he would offer any discount, he then said about someone who works for him sometimes and sent me some of the pictures he done, I hadn't even realised they were from someone else on his website because the style was exactly the same, the main photographer also done all the editing etc so we decided to go with that and that was £900!

As much as I'd say go with the professional I know you've said before its not right at the top of your list and for me personally if a photographer wasn't at the top of the list and we didnt have the money for one then I wouldn't!

But then saying this i think if you are going to go with friends you have to go with how they work and what they can do, their pictures look fab but they might not be able to capture what you want as well!

I know, it's such a tough decision. I am so fussy with what I like though that I could spend £4k and still hate the photos or think I look awful. I think I am going to do a trial shoot with my BIL and see if I'm happy with the photos and style, and if not then I'll go for the professional. It just means missing out on the discount I guess :cry:

£1000 is about average for a basic package down here. Can get cheaper packages but they tend to be the staged and posed images that I wanted to avoid, but I did fall in love with one photographer who charged £4000 for four hours on the day :wacko::wacko:

This is the one we went with though Matt Heath Photography. He does do the 'formal' photographs but most of the day is taken up with reportage. A lot of people like the 'fun' wedding photos but I've met with him and agreed that he won't be doing any of those on our day :lol:

You're right there is no guarantee that you'll like the results from a professional either. Ultimately you can only go for what's within budget. As PP said, if photos weren't as important to me as they are then I would never consider spending this much on them

Could you try emailing the photographer and asking if they'd be willing to still give you the discount in a few weeks time as you are very interested in them but wouldn't be able to book until such and such! All they can say is no!

Your photographer looks fab btw Aly :)

One of our most important things was a photographer so we have spent a lot (£700 for all day package plus a photo book) which is about average around here. I would take the trial with BIL first but like Lauren said, ask if they would honour the discount in a couple of weeks for you as you can't book till then x

I asked a friend to do some photos of the children when Logan was a few weeks old and they turned out awful (or not to my taste maybe?) I didn't want to offend her obviously and still paid her for doing it and she does photography as a hobby (I had seen some of the things she had done and they were beautiful so I asked her to do the pictures)

For the wedding I am going with someone who has plenty of experience and knows for sure what they are doing. It is my wedding and it would break my heart if I didn't have any nice pictures to look at in the years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->