Planning a homebirth but what should I pack in my hospital bag?

Kapow

OH, Moo moo and lil ted.
Reaction score
As the title suggest I'm planning on giving birth at home.

DS was born at 37+1 at my local birthing centre. I had a 3 hour labour and we were home before DS was 5 hours old. No pain relief as I wasn't examined until I was already fully dilated.

I am concerned that this labour will be over even quicker and have therefore decided that there is no place like home.

With DS I had a small suitcase full of loads of un-necessary items which I wouldn't have used if I'd been there for a week!

What are you ladies planning on packing?
So far my list is:-
toothbrush, toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo
2 x nighties
5 x big knickers
3 x nursing bra
1 x pack pads
2 x socks
1 x comfy outfit
1 x book
1 x tens machine
1 x picture of DS
2 x baby sleepsuits
1 x small pack of size 1 nappies
4 x baby vests
2 x baby's hats
2 x muslins

I'm also going to pack a little bag for DS (he'll be almost 22 months) incase he needs to stay with friends overnight etc.
This bag will have:-
pjs
change of clothes
toothbrush
nappies
wipes
beaker of water
snacks
The gruffalo book (for bedtime)
he doesn't really have a favourite teddy or anything but should he have his own pillow/bedding? He's never been away from me overnight before!

Am I overpacking? is there anything vital I've missed out. I'm so hoping I don't need a hospital bag but I know I'll be awake at night worrying if I don't pack one.

Thanks and sorry for the neurotic post, lol.

Kxx

I'll be packing a small bag too for the same reason, and last time I took way too much stuff aswell! The only things I can't see on there at the moment are, a hairbrush, few bits of light makeup if you wear or are bothered about wearing it, and a camera if you want one. I took a dressing down last time but it will be July when I'm due this time, so I won't need it, but depending on the weather you might do. :)

Clothes and stuff for baby, or are you just asking about your bag?

Pack a bag for your son, but you don't have to a bag packed, esp if if means that you will have to double up on stuff you are buying. You might want your TENS and most of the other stuff out at home anyway.
You could always just have it out in a few piles - this way MWs and your OH knows where everything is for when you are at home, and IF you go in, it can all be bundled into a bag quickly.
1 - for you
2 - for baby
3 - for the homebirth; towels, TENS, bucket, pads, etc.

I confess that I did pack a hospital bag with my first and hid it in the aring cupboard, as I didn't want to see it! This time I'm going with piles of stuff, as I had far to much in there last time, and bought double what I needed!
XxX

Last time I packed a 'Birth' bag.. It simply included everything I thought I would want for the labour whether at home or not, and the first bits the baby would need. That way it was easy to grab should I need to go to hospital and everything was in one handy place for when I laboured at home.. As it was, I stayed home and we simply plucked items from the bag as needed. It made it so much easier for my partner and the midwife too because if I asked for something, it'd be right there in the bag so I'll be doing the same this time.

It will include:
An old t-shirt to labour in (though I will no doubt end up naked)
A pair of PJ's with a button down top for after the birth
Underwear
Sanitary towels
Nursing bra
Lanisoh
Lavender Oil
Lip balm
Cooling water spray thingy
Bottled Water and Granola bars
Baby vest
Baby gro
Hat & Scratch mits
A few disposable nappies
Baby wipes (useful for myself too)

Erm.. I have brain freeze.. I may add to that but that's all I can think of right now.

I went in with 2 suitcases with my first, lol. One for me and one for baby. The nurses must have thought I was delusional. I did have to stay a while so a lot of it was used but there was still way too much. I took only essentials last time. The only thing I see missing off your list is a hair brush, soap/shower gel, deodorant, lip balm and shampoo. And a few bits for bubs.

I didn't pack a bag. If I would have transferd to the hospital then I would have just brought a outfit for baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->